PDA

View Full Version : Best coil for the DFX300:huh:thinkingabout:

Spike
01-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I have the DFX300 that's in the classifieds- if I can't sell it, which coil would be best- 9.5,10DD?? Or any other? I did not like the 12in spider that came with it. Then I bought my E-trac and did not put any time with the 1400 :dontknow:. The 5.3 is great, but need a bigger one to go with it.

pulltabsteve
01-26-2011, 08:28 PM
The 12 wont be good in a trashy park. I think the best all purpose coil would be the 6X10. Thats what I used most of the time when I had my DFX.

coinnut
01-26-2011, 09:08 PM
6x10 or the stock 9.5 coil. Both are good, but the separation is better on the 6x10 DD.

Nitro 54
01-26-2011, 09:13 PM
I use the 6x10 most of the time onmy DFX

CyberSage
01-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Hey Spike,

The 12 inch coil on the DFX is probably one of the best combinations Whites has come up with. I had trouble with the DFX until I bought the Super12 coil. I worked hard at perfecting a program for a couple years. The end result was very productive for me. This is one year worth of keepers with the 12 inch coil on the DFX...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/1Yeara.jpg

I 'll be honest with you. I don't care for the 12 inch coil on the V3, but it is the way to go on the DFX. Here is a link to a PDF file with all the settings and observations on the program. Give it a try before you abandon the larger coil. There is a lot of good advice in this thread so far. These guys know what they are talking about, but do me a favor load this up and give it a shot.

http://home.comcast.net/~whitesdfx/Super12.pdf

On second thought. I would probably just use the E-Trac. It is a far superior detector. ;)

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Nitro 54
01-26-2011, 09:30 PM
:shocked04: WOW Jack, nice pile of clad and silver :loveit: :loveit: sweet :smitten: :smitten: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes:

Spike
01-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks guys- man I wish I had this forum before I gave up on the 12in that came with it. :blackeye: I just could not get any depth with it and when I ran it hot I was very unstable :dontknow: I hunt with a guy (Rusthunter) he has a XLT with a 9.5 and would just smoke the stock coil that came on it. I think my 5.3 is about as deep as it was :dontknow: :dontknow: Could it have just been bad?

CyberSage
01-26-2011, 11:43 PM
No history of bad Super12 Coils. If your mineralization strength is high, it could be an explanation.

psychposse
01-27-2011, 01:24 AM
The 12 inch coil on the DFX is probably one of the best combinations Whites has come up with. I had trouble with the DFX until I bought the Super12 coil. I worked hard at perfecting a program for a couple years. The end result was very productive for me. This is one year worth of keepers with the 12 inch coil on the DFX...

I will be giving this program a try. :drool:

I have only had my DFX300 with the 12 coil for a few months (not counting winter) and while there were a few times it seemed overwhelming, I managed to get great depth out of it.

Since it is the only coil I currently have, I had to adjust/adapt to it and I did just that. I can go into a high trash area and do just fine with the 12 coil Sure, it can get a little annoying at times, but I learned to identify when I had multiple targets under the coil as well as the trash signals.
Before I had the DX1 probe, I could visually mark multiple signals under the 12 coil and dig coins out of every spot.

Was up to my elbow in a hole on one dig, larger target though (rusty old can).

Thought I had a good target in a city park that I think was an old water pipe - it was DeeP!

The 12 coil worked awesome while I was relic hunting in the woods along an old logging Ice Road.

Planning on buying a smaller coil in the next month, but I have no complaints on the 12.

Northern MN is Iron Ore country too - I have been in places, put the coil down and the program would be completely unstable - bout drive ya nuts in 2 seconds.

These things take patience and perseverance.

wingmaster
01-27-2011, 02:41 AM
I had 2 bad coils on my MXT300 the 300MM coil is pretty much the same as the super 12 just a little thicker, they started overloading above preset and got worse from there to the point at 6 gain it would overload. Whites took care of me though but after the second bad one I was done with that coil and had them send me the D2 best coil I've used by far I even had to get another one as a spare for fear to be without one. The D2 will get as deep as the super12 with way better separation, when the super12 worked it was a great coil but lost faith in the reliability but glad it did go bad so I could find out how great the D2 coil is.

CyberSage
01-27-2011, 08:15 AM
I agree with you Wingmaster. I think the D2 is the best coil for the MXT. I really like the way it handled on the MXT and had some nice deep digs with it. It took me a while to warm up to it on the V3, but it is my coil of choice now. The D2 seems to be very noisy on the DFX. I still prefer the Super12 for the my DFX.

giant056
01-27-2011, 10:28 AM
When I got the D2 coil for my MXT I think I was calling it an MXT Nitro or something like that. I used the Super12 on it regularly for quite a while in old parks and other grassy area's but when the D2 came then I was really off to the races. When I went to order one my supplier for detector stuff hadn't even heard of it and it was already on the Whites website.

Spike
01-27-2011, 04:42 PM
I had 2 bad coils on my MXT300 the 300MM coil is pretty much the same as the super 12 just a little thicker, they started overloading above preset and got worse from there to the point at 6 gain it would overload. Whites took care of me though but after the second bad one I was done with that coil and had them send me the D2 best coil I've used by far I even had to get another one as a spare for fear to be without one. The D2 will get as deep as the super12 with way better separation, when the super12 worked it was a great coil but lost faith in the reliability but glad it did go bad so I could find out how great the D2 coil is.
I think my DFX300 came with the 300mm coil to but I thought it was the same as the spider 12in or super 12 :dontknow: :embarrassed:

wingmaster
01-27-2011, 05:52 PM
The 300MM and the super12 is really the same coil the 300MM is just a little thicker and heavier, the D2 has some with an orange D2 and some with a white D2 on the coil with one being heavier and thicker.

Spike
01-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks for all the help I think since I also have a E-trac for depth I will go with the 6x10. Thank you Jack but just dont trust the 12in hope you guys can help me get my DFX300 going good I think I gave up to soon on it when that dang XLT woped me so bad( Rusthunter) :poke: :bop: he has that thing working amazing :shocked04: :shocked04: so now I have to drag in Iron :poke:

CyberSage
01-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks for all the help I think since I also have a E-trac for depth I will go with the 6x10.

Good Choice! I am glad your giving it another shot.

zrickkid
01-28-2011, 01:07 AM
Good luck i wish I could help but I have a V3i. 8/ 8/

del
01-28-2011, 04:04 AM
Spike i'm a long time dfx user as well any time you want to pick my brain for some help just ask buddy . as others have said the 6x10 coil is a great coil if its working correctly and my coil of choice and reaching a quarter like target at 8-10 inches is very possible with it and the sepparation is alot better than the stock.

Dan

KSHOLLYWOOD
04-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Buy a new coil and sell me your 12,,,,, CHEAP!!!!!!

emmarold1998
05-27-2013, 12:21 PM
how do you tell what coil you have mine just says DFX wide band multi harmonic.

del
05-27-2013, 01:47 PM
how do you tell what coil you have mine just says DFX wide band multi harmonic.

sounds like you probably have the stock 950 coil on your machine . the 300 coil is 12 inch , the d2 is the standard coil on the v3i , theres an eliptical 6x10 coil and a small eliptical 4x6 and there is also a 5.3 round mono coil.