PDA

View Full Version : Possible gold and diamonds- broach?

tanacat
01-28-2011, 12:11 PM
I found these pieces a couple days ago. It was almost dark outside, so when I saw the sparkling stone and 4 missing spots in the gold pieces, I thought I'd better take the soil from that area. There might be even more gold in it. It was found pretty darn deep about 8 in a yard of house built in 1831, so possibly it's REALLY old gold and diamonds.

My rationale is maybe they hadn't invented prongs yet, as they're glued in lol

The 'diamond' is a little cloudy but cut nice and I'm dreaming that it's 24 kt gold plated with the innards all corroded. I really am skeptical it's the real thing, but called my detector/coin dealer/prez of our local club, he said totally possible and bring them to our club meeting on Tuesday and he'll test for both :)

We'll see.... wishful thinking?

I think I'll wait for a concensus before I go searching through the bucket! :huh: :-\ :thinkingabout: lol rofl lol

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_9294.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_9305.jpg

Ill Digger
01-28-2011, 12:28 PM
I've often found if I have a doubt..... then it's not real gold. :mad:
I've found 5 pieces of gold in the 2 years I've been at it and each time I immediately said to myself &quot:daydream:h yeah thats real!
But there's one way to find out for sure. Have it tested :dontknow: I had a ring straightened and tested the other day. Didn't cost me anything. And now I know :yes:
And thats a whole nother story lol
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/2010/IMG_0409.jpg

SeabeeRon
01-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Hope it's the Real Deal Tana!! :yes: Love your enthusiasm in bring home a bucket of dirt!!! :happydance01:

tanacat
01-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Hope it's the Real Deal Tana!! :yes: Love your enthusiasm in bring home a bucket of dirt!!! :happydance01:

I need your scoop! Or something like it, not sure how to go about it :thinkingabout: Collander or a piece of screen?

tanacat
01-28-2011, 01:58 PM
I've often found if I have a doubt..... then it's not real gold. :mad:
I've found 5 pieces of gold in the 2 years I've been at it and each time I immediately said to myself &quot:daydream:h yeah thats real!
But there's one way to find out for sure. Have it tested :dontknow: I had a ring straightened and tested the other day. Didn't cost me anything. And now I know :yes:
And thats a whole nother story lol

I looked for a stamp, but... do you know when people started stamping gold jewelry?

psychposse
01-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Your enthusiasm is awesome thumbsup01

I think it would be great if you could set up a video camera to capture your digging moments. I can imagine your excitement when you dig something like this up. <:

del
01-28-2011, 02:10 PM
well it was a good idea to get the soil from where it came from Tana as there are probably more of the gemstones in there that fell off . the frost heaves will push stones right out of their settings , as far as it being gold there should be somekind of makers mark or hallmark somewhere on the item now whether you have the piece its on is another story but they marked them from pretty early on.i wish you the best on it being real thumbsup01.

giant056
01-28-2011, 03:40 PM
That's a good find tanacat and hopefully its gold :yes: thumbsup01

pulltabsteve
01-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Maybe you got the hope diamond in that bucket of dirt rofl I'd be going through that bucket if I was you :clapping: :clapping:

zrickkid
01-28-2011, 05:17 PM
I hope its real. :angelic:

tanacat
01-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Yeah, yeah, and there's 20 more of them in the bucket and then I can pay my kid's daycare and MD full-time... lol

greg
01-28-2011, 06:03 PM
so your going to pan for jewels lol thumbsup01 Let us know how that goes. I heard of people doing that when they find such as what you found. I never did it though.

pulltabsteve
01-28-2011, 06:09 PM
so your going to pan for jewels lol thumbsup01 Let us know how that goes. I heard of people doing that when they find such as what you found. I never did it though.

I did it once when I found an old piece of jewelry with missing stones. I filled a small bucket with the rocks and dirt from the hole. I took it home and sifted through it. Guess what I found? A pile of rocks and dirt! :yes: Good luck Tana. I hope its real and you find the rest of the stones.

Nitro 54
01-28-2011, 09:04 PM
I hope you find something good in that bucket of mud thumbsup01 :grin: :grin:

jkress
01-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Great recovery Tana. :clapping:

I sure hope it's real and there is more in the bucket. :yes:

From everything I have read so far, they did start marking precious metals quite a while ago. You just need to find that piece.

Great post. thumbsup01

Civil War Nut
01-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Nice finds T. Go for it.

Ill Digger
01-29-2011, 12:23 AM
I looked for a stamp, but... do you know when people started stamping gold jewelry?

:thinkingabout: :dontknow: Nope I don't know.
I did a little looking but all I could find was they were stamping gold in 1896 and before. :rolleyes:
That's not much help 8/ Good luck
Hope it pans out for ya....get it?...pans out :huh: lol....never mind lol

tanacat
01-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Hope it pans out for ya....get it?...pans out :huh: lol....never mind lol

rofl rofl lol rofl You are so PUNny... you should be PUNished! lol

:huh: Actually, that is prob what I'll need...

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-29-2011, 09:22 PM
wish we could see dirt here :crying02: good luck sifting,that'll keep ya busy and crosseyed for a few hours :twirlingeyes:

RobW
02-10-2011, 01:36 PM
SSSOOO How'd the test come out? real or not?

Inquiring minds wanna know!

Also us snowed in folk have to live vicariously through the rest of you for the next few months!

jkress
02-10-2011, 01:50 PM
SSSOOO How'd the test come out? real or not?

Inquiring minds wanna know!

Yep :yes:

Also us snowed in folk have to live vicariously through the rest of you for the next few months!

And double yep :yes: :yes:

russellt
02-13-2011, 03:53 PM
hope its real for ya .... its pretty though either way . nice finds