PDA

View Full Version : 1st AT Pro outing Saturday

Dimeman
01-29-2011, 03:47 PM
1st outing with the Garrett AT Pro

Took the AT Pro out to a park area that has lots of trees and is next to a school. The school was built about 1 1/2 years before the land next to it became a park area. The park was built in 1964. My assumption was the school kids played in the area at recess and after school activities.

As it was my first detecting search with the AT Pro, I used the STD mode and wanting to test the tone roll audio on the bottle caps that are in almost every park I search, I notched out everything but the upper coins. I will have plenty of time to test out the other features of the detector.

On most detectors lots of bottlecaps read as quarter signals----that is what I wanted to test first. I dug on every quarter signal and on every quarter signal I rechecked it in the PRO mode, to see if the tone roll audio was correctly IDing bottlecaps from the quarters.

Every time the PRO mode sounded its triple tone on a pass---low/high/low, it indeed was a bottlecap, and every time the PRO mode had just the high tone, it indeed was a quarter. I dug over 25 bottlecaps and 4 quarters. The Tone Roll Audio just by itself is worth a look because we all have been tricked by those quarter--bottlecaps.

The AT Pro does sound very good on targets. One high tone I got on the AT Pro, showed 10 inches deep. I dug up a piece of copper tubing that was over 8 inches deep, acording to my diggers length, and the signal was loud and clear.

The headphones are very good and are solidly built. A little bit heavy for warm days, but they do block out quite a bit of outside noise and even with a slight hearing loss in my left ear, I had to turn the headphone volume, down because it was a bit too loud. The phones have a separate volume for each side and a mono/stereo switch also.

While searching, I got a signal that bounced from quarter to half to quarter. I dug and got a clad quarter, rechecking the hole --there was another quarter---it was a 1964 Washington. Both quarters were less than 4 inches deep.

Then along a 3 foot long tree root that was showing just above the ground next to a tree, I got a penny signal. In that area I pulled 26 wheats from close to the tree root. Talk about pocket spills !!!!!!!
Though they were just a few inches deep and most any detector could have found them, the AT Pro located them !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The detector is lighter than the Whites detectors I am using, but while swinging the unit, the balance is not as even, as the coil side is a bit heavier. I spent 3 hours detecting and while it feels different than my Whites, it was easy to swing and I am liking it alot.

Check out this short video.

First AT PRO Outing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrMyn_MNlSU#)

jkress
01-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Very interesting observations Dimeman. :yes:

The Tone Roll Audio sounds like it has quite a bit of potential.

Congrats on the silver quarter and all of those wheats.

Nice video too.

giant056
01-29-2011, 04:41 PM
You had a great first outing with that AT Pro Robbie thumbsup01 congrats on the silver quarter and nice wheat spill!!

Spike
01-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Sounds like its got potential thumbsup01 I better start :kiss: up to the wife rofl rofl :beatdeadhorse:

M-Taliesin
01-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Howdy Robbie!
That's great information. I am looking to buy an AT Pro when I get the opportunity. That should be in a couple of months. I got a real nice demonstration of the AT Pro at Garretts when I visited their facility in Garland.

I think you should share your video with Kenny! Let him know that you are among the first to buy from the competition, but not the last. Not by a long shot. I intend to buy 2 or 3 units this year. All of those will be Garrett's and/or Fisher. Maybe Ken needs to realize that then the hand that feeds ya gets bit, the food stops coming!

Anyhow, I will be looking to get the GTI 2500 with the 2 box Eagle Eye extension along with a AT Pro and maybe one of the Ace 350s too. Will see. But I know what I ain't gonna be buying anytime soon!

Nice work Robbie!
You're showing there are options that are as good, or better, than what we accept by virtue of hype.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Dimeman
01-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Howdy Robbie!
That's great information. I am looking to buy an AT Pro when I get the opportunity. That should be in a couple of months. I got a real nice demonstration of the AT Pro at Garretts when I visited their facility in Garland.

I think you should share your video with Kenny! Let him know that you are among the first to buy from the competition, but not the last. Not by a long shot. I intend to buy 2 or 3 units this year. All of those will be Garrett's and/or Fisher. Maybe Ken needs to realize that then the hand that feeds ya gets bit, the food stops coming!

Anyhow, I will be looking to get the GTI 2500 with the 2 box Eagle Eye extension along with a AT Pro and maybe one of the Ace 350s too. Will see. But I know what I ain't gonna be buying anytime soon!

Nice work Robbie!
You're showing there are options that are as good, or better, than what we accept by virtue of hype.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I have been researching and looking at videos and looking at the other forums checking out the items and depth people have been getting with the AT Pro ,since the stuff hit the fan at the other location. :beatdeadhorse:

I like it, and while a 26 wheat coin spill and a very shallow silver quarter was a stroke of luck, the features on this one are better than the mid priced one I have been using and it's the same suggested retail price. :huh:

For over 20 years with one detector brand---------What the heck was I thinkin' ? :bop: :bop: :crazy: :crazy: :confused: :confused: :bangahead01: :bangahead01:

Nitro 54
01-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Good finds and testing Robbie thumbsup01 thumbsup01 Here is a Lost Treasure test on your detector

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/metal-detector-field-test-review-garrett-pro

RWJR13
01-30-2011, 09:14 AM
.....Sweet....Yes the AT PRO is a good detector................Adding an extension to the arm shaft has got it more balanced that I have seen.....

Dimeman
01-30-2011, 09:49 AM
It was very weird to see that coin spill of so many wheats, and I suspect that kids were either pitching pennies at the tree root or a bunch of them were running around the tree, and falling or sitting on the exposed roots.
The most coins, spill I had ever found before, was 7 pennies all in a circle behind a baseball backstop a few years ago.

Vito
02-05-2011, 05:54 AM
Great review Robbie. :cheering:

And from your experience you know, patience is the key.

Looking forward to your finds.

Good Luck

Vito

odave
02-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Good first hunt Robbie !! Congrats on the Wheat Spill and Silver Quarter !!