PDA

View Full Version : Found and Returned!

M-Taliesin
01-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Howdy Folks!
My wife's car was in the shop and we had to go by and fetch it home this morning, but before we drove to the repair shop, I needed gas.

We stopped at the Flying J down the road from here, and I got out (with the expected difficulty of course) and walked around the back of my car. I spotted 2 bags bulging with files, documents and a whole bunch of other stuff. I started the gas pump to fuel my car and looked over those bags. I found a checkbook in one, but there was no phone number or street address on the checks. Then I found a repair order with the same name as the checks, and it had a contact phone number. I called the number but only got voice mail. I left a message.

After getting my gas, I took the two large bags inside and set them on the counter. There was a line of maybe 6 or 8 truckers and only one person to handle them all. I asked the lady to call her manager down, because I didn't want to leave those bags with just anybody who happened to be behind the counter. She told me she IS the manager and to wait my turn. After a moment of reflection, I decided I didn't want to waste a whole bunch of my morning. I walked back to grab those bags and walked out.

On our way to the repair garage, I called the number again and this time, Jose answered.
Are you Jose M.....? I asked.
Yes, I am.
He seemed a bit taken aback by this unexpected call. I told him about the bags I found, and after a little effort he realized what I was talking about. He didn't even know they were missing at that point. He started in apologizing for the trouble, but I told him it was okay. No big deal. I told him to meet me at the TCF bank and I'd be there after dropping off my wife at her car.

Anyhow, I drove to the bank and met Jose! He was very thankful and proffered a $10 bill in my direction and I told him &quot:grin:e Nada! He kept trying to give me that 10 spot, but I waved him off.
Thank you so much mister! You saved my life! I've got contracts in there, court papers, business files, everything!
Hey, if it happened to me, I just would want somebody to do the same as I'm doing here!

He thanked me again, picked up his bags and took them to his truck. It looked like he might be a contractor. I watched him put the bags into his truck and walked into the bank. I checked the coinstar machine. I figured maybe I could parlay my good deed into a little karma, but the chute was empty.

No matter, I felt pretty good about doing something nice to start the day!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

odave
01-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Nice of You to do Mel ...Good Karma ...Your knee will now heal faster
and You'll be out there finding Gold sooner thumbsup01

v3ikid
01-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Cool story. Way to go on the return. I know how you feel about people offering money to return things. If the offer is made TO find something,(as a reward) that's one thing but it's hard to accepet money for just doing the right thing. Good Job. :)

coinnut
01-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Great job Mel. I'm the same way. I would have felt real bad knowing someone is gonna be so worried about them bags, that I would have started to worry myself lol You made someone's day and that is better than any reward.

M-Taliesin
01-29-2011, 09:00 PM
You made someone's day and that is better than any reward.

Howdy Pard!
Amen to that brother, Amen to that!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

zrickkid
01-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Doing the right thing is what being human is all about. You did a nice thing. Kudos to you. :smitten:

Dimeman
01-29-2011, 09:59 PM
I had an uncle that used to say this Good deeds done today always get rewarded tomorrow.

:) :)

Nitro 54
01-29-2011, 10:06 PM
You did good today M-T thumbsup01 thumbsup01 Now what are you going to do tomarrow ? :thinkingabout: :grin: :grin: :grin:

DaleGM
01-29-2011, 11:52 PM
sure wish you were around when I lost my wallet, your good deed for the day is done, good karma is around the corner for ya Mel :clapping: :clapping:

jkress
01-30-2011, 12:57 AM
A big pat on the back to you M-T! thumbsup01

Doing the extra effort to return the lost items says quite a bit about you. :yes:

Not near enough people like you out there.

I'm pretty sure that karma just made a note in it's book.

Evan/tn
01-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Way to go Mel
Another good deed under the belt thumbsup01

cnr_dogs
01-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Good Show my friend paying it forward always pays in the end Good on you for your efforts

russellt
01-30-2011, 03:19 PM
your a good egg MT.. did you search the bags for wheat pennies rofl