PDA

View Full Version : Horseback Detecting!

M-Taliesin
01-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Howdy Folks!
Living as I do in the west, there are still many places that a guy would want to detect that are inaccessible to anything other than foot traffic or on horseback. Such sites include locations where outlaws stashed purloined treasure while a posse was hot on their tails, old remote ghost towns, and lost mines throughout the west.

All my metal detecting up till now was supposed to be helping me learn enough to embark on the type of expedition I'd like to pursue. The best possiblities for finding old relics, stashes, caches, buried robbery loot, nuggets secreted away and all those real interesting targets are not going to be easily reached. If it is easily reached, you can bet hordes of weekend detectorists have already reached it and plundered it properly! So I am looking at going into backcountry locations where cars can't go. Not even 4 wheel drive!

As I already have some locations pinpointed, I know that reaching them will require using a horse. I've ridden horses since I was old enough to stick my foot in a stirrup. Now that my leg will be mending, I should be able to sit a horse by summer easily enough. So now I only need to ask a few questions:

Have any of you gone detecting on horseback?
What are the unanticipated issues I might run into doing so? (aside from horse shoes being steel. I got that part! LOL!)
What's a good way to carry the detector on horseback so it doesn't get damaged? I believe the rifle scabbard will already be carrying a rifle in it, so that's out!
Essentially, if you have experience detecting on horseback, I'd like to know what you can share about this particular type of hunting.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Dimeman
01-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Now that your knee has been worked on and you are on the mend, sure hope to hear about what you will find on that outing.
Maybe some of these members can give you some input on detecting, traveling by horseback.

Nitro 54
01-29-2011, 10:28 PM
Put your detector in a back pack with the coil sting in the air.. As short as it will go of course.. :grin: OR you could get a bunch of extra rods and detect the best you can from the saddle :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :eyebrow:

Spiderwort
01-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Carrying the detector shouldn't be a problem. Teaching the horse to pin point and dig. That would be cool. Thinking Lesche horseshoes!! :beatdeadhorse:

Bubba707
01-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Mel, alot depends on how long you expect to be out. You may want to take a pack horse to carry rations for yourself and the horses, more than overnight they'd like a bit of oats and maybe an apple or 3. You'll need plenty of water too. As for the detector, break it down and fit it a case of some sort while traveling, either strapped to the saddle or on your back. Going out in the back country you want to be prepared for the unexpected so take more food and water than you expect to need as well as a good first aid kit.

Kimster
01-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Take a friend along, so when the Coyotes howl at night it's fun instead of depressing. :-\ Been there, done that...won't do it again (alone).

jkress
01-30-2011, 03:35 AM
Sounds like an absolutely fantastic idea. Get out farther than the rest. :clapping:

Getting past where the 'weekenders' go has always paid off big time for me in the fishing world. :yes:

Makes complete sense that this thought would work great for treasure hunting as well.

Bubba hit several nails on the head with his reply. Like he mentioned... needs will change dependent on how long you plan to be out and how far you will be out. Water, shelter and food are top things to consider with navigation right behind.

M-Taliesin
01-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Howdy Folks!
See, now that's what I'm talking about. When I posted my querry on another forum, I did not get lucid ideas on horseback detecting. But posted on the American Detectorist forum, and I get a wealth of terrific information. Shows to go ya, there are forums, then there are forums that matter.

Thanks to each of you for taking time to reply.
Nitro: You spoke of stowing the detector in a pack. Garrett makes a pack that can take the detector without breaking it down. Since I aim to own an AT Pro, that pack appears to be an ideal carrying solution. Once reaching a treasure location, detecting *while* on the horse may be necessary.

Spiderwort: Thanks for the chuckle first thing in the morning. Great way to start the day. Personally, I wondered about perhaps getting carbon fiber shoes for the horse and mount an 18 inch coil under his belly!

Bubba: Terrific advice, food for thought (to make a pun of it!). Any first aid kit would need to include something for snakebite, insect bites, sunblock and skeeter repellant. Dehydrated food is the way to go because it will spare weight in any situation away from home. Ain't many burger joints in the wilderness areas. Water might not be much issue because snow melt can be used handily and it is usually already there, even in summer. Fill a bottle, drop in a couple of tablets to clean it up, and bang! Less to tote up there. Great suggestions you had for me, and I surely do appreciate them.

Kimster: A good sidekick is an absolute must in back country. I wouldn't dream of going it alone. Get throwed once, break a leg, and a fun filled expedition can suddenly transform into a life ending episode. Depending on the specific target, it might be necessary to bring several compadres along, and there'd be enough reward for all involved... assuming the treasure could be located and extracted.

jkress: Yeah, getting back where the timid won't go is the best way to find something truly rewarding. Think of it as searching out virtually virgin territory on each new hunt. What are the odds you'll do great? Much improved, methinks!

Dimeman: Posts and the responses you get on this forum remind me time and again that the best forum is this one right here. Never got a real good answer from folks on another forum to the same basic question. Here I am getting ideas and suggestions that should prove useful. Why I didn't realize the potential of this forum earlier, I just don't know. Guess wearing a big W brand on your butt doesn't mean you got the goods. Sometimes all you got is plenty of hat, but no cattle!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

cnr_dogs
01-30-2011, 09:49 AM
MT i have done quite a bit of back country hunting from horse back not with a metal detector though. I have snce got out of the horse owning business but a good pack horse to trail behind is a must. Fitted with a set of panniers there is nothing you cant pack as long as its within the limits of the horse. and I cant see a weekend detecting trip needing near what we have packed in for a 10 day hunt. water is a must so have your supply figured out if you are going to be near a mountain stream good there are lots of purifying options. if not you will have to pack it in. Food rely on MREs or other dehydrated fare there is a lot of good food out there. Feed for the horse is as simple as free grazing and maybe a little sweet mix a day for a treat. Shelter is easy a good 3 season pack tent and a good bag witha self inflating pad makes a trip enjoyable. A good pair of boots will save your feet some monkey butt powder for the unexpected but unavoidable chaffing will come in handy! A good topo map and compass or GPS will keep you on track and make sure someone knows where you are going and when to expect you back it can save your life. Have fun and good hunting

Bubba707
01-30-2011, 10:07 AM
MREs are a great suggestion. You'll be burning lots of calories and MREs are high in calories and balanced nutrition. Beat heck out of lots of that freeze dried hiking stuff. Years ago I did some back country hiking and learned a few lessons the hard way. Take nothing for granted and prepare for the worst. The worst is unlikely to happen but but I'd rather have and not need than need and not have, especially since you'll be horseback and weight won't be as much an issue as hiking. I kinda envy you a trip like that, it's going to be a great time even if you don't find any treasure.

DustyRoundup
01-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Dang M-T,
Why didnt you say so.

I was a Big Game guide for 5 years running , for Elk Mtn outfitters, based out of Montana, but I guided in the Bitteroot -Selway, in Idaho for him. (Elk/ Bear)
And thats some pretty rough country, compared to my area here.
Anyhow, I do have 6 head, but 1 is just coming 4 and I havent started him yet.
Of our 5 usable horses, I have my 2 Personal horses.
If you do make it up this way, I would surely let you ride my BEST.
He's has never opted to buck a day in his life, he likes people , and Ive done some mounted shooting and even dabbled in some mounted horseback Archery with him.
He's as honest as they come.
I do have 1 decker/ with panniers, and I have a set of saddle panniers.
So, we could pack 2 horses in.
As far as packing a detector, I've pondered that plenty of times. I was going to make a box specifically for a detector or two, But I have started thinking more about using a hard case/ foam lined case.
Depending on where you go, if it gets tight , a pack horse can bang his load against the trees.
(I remember packing in a 55 gallon drum as a wood stove , and left marks on trees the whole way)
Dang, If you can ride, and want to here in Montana, Ive got the gear.
My Gal's Colorado saddle has the swivel stirrups, on account of her bad knees,
You could ride that , as you will probably still be healing a bit , I bet.

You let me know M-T, I'll make sure everything is ready.

If you do decide to head this way, I bet I would get a fire under my butt, and build a detector pannier box.

Even though I live here, it seems I miss those days of packin out .
I've been needing a bit of an adventure.
And, its not like I have to pay a farrier, for a good set of shoes :grin:

(dang, I'm almost as long winded as you) :rolleyes:

LOL
Take Care M-T.
You got me all fired up.

Dusty

PS, if you want references on me , PM me, and I'll send you some phone numbers.
Its a different world these days, and a person should be safe.

russellt
01-30-2011, 02:12 PM
sounds like alot of fun .. watch the movie jeremiah johnson before you go ... and remember MEL ,,,, watch your top knot

Dimeman
02-01-2011, 05:21 PM
sounds like alot of fun .. watch the movie jeremiah johnson before you go ... and remember MEL ,,,, watch your top knot

Good film and I agree :shocked04: :shocked04:

BOWSER
02-12-2011, 11:12 PM
gee i thought we discussed this 3 years ago and decided it wouldn't work unless you could use short legged horses or very long armed detectorists,my oppinion is you need :hammer: your head adjusted and your :beatdeadhorse:

Carver
02-13-2011, 08:00 AM
gee i thought we discussed this 3 years ago and decided it wouldn't work unless you could use short legged horses or very long armed detectorists,my oppinion is you need :hammer: your head adjusted and your :beatdeadhorse:

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

tanacat
02-13-2011, 08:16 AM
I was a Big Game guide for 5 years running , for Elk Mtn outfitters, based out of Montana, but I guided in the Bitteroot -Selway, in Idaho for him. (Elk/ Bear)

I was a campjack for a hunting outfitter in West Elk Range near Gunnison, Colorado (elk/bear/mule deer). I miss those days of packing out too :yes:

M-Taliesin
02-13-2011, 09:28 AM

Howdy Bowser!
Not so. They do make tall man rods ya know! LOL!
Fact is, there are places out here in the west that you can only reach by hiking in or on horseback.
While this was discussed a couple of years back, I never really got very good answers. Here you'll
see that I have gotten some real good advice.

Given that I am quite comfortable on horseback, and that I ain't particularly keen on walking into
remote wilderness areas on foot, possibly for many miles, the logical alternative would be horses.
I've been up some of those places with 4 wheel drive, and they can't get to some of the places I
tried to go. Neither will an ATV. So, back to horses.

I was riding horses long before I figured out how to ride a bicycle. They offer several advantages
over motorized transportation. For starters, you really don't need to worry how far the nearest gas
station might be. And you have a companion that won't talk your ears off. They can go places you
cant reach by any other means except by foot. They also will let you know if somebody else or
some other critter approaches while you're otherwise distracted. They'll give alarm about a
bear or cougar in your vicinity well before you realize it yourself. That simple fact can save your
skin for another day. When you have advance warning of peril, you have those extra few seconds
to draw your rifle, and that could make the difference between living or becoming dinner for some
denizen of the back country.

Hope that answers the question. Folks who know the west still rely on horses for a plethora of real
sound reasons. Among them is the relative silence of riding in on horseback so you don't announce
your presence to anybody within 5 miles who might decide to relieve you of any treasure you might
happen upon, compared to the noise of an engine that can travel far along canyons and gullies.

But like I said earlier, I've gotten some real good advice here on the A.D. forum, and much better
than I got elsewhere.

Thanks for your response.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

whammy
02-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Hey Mel, pack a couple bags if fireballs. My horses go nuts for them, and will do just about anything to get one. They make great treats, and last longer than the animal crackers they used to get. Your expedition sounds like a lot of fun. When you do go, take lots of pictures. Dave

BOWSER
02-13-2011, 10:51 PM
i was pullin your leg mel , some police departments here in the N E still use horses supplied by the state police. for off road use.I might remind you that the first cowboys originated in upstate NEW YORK. I rode a hrse once, her name was rosie ,i wanted to go one way and she wanted to go another, she tossed me for it.Another time i went on vacation got on the horse and had to hold on for dear life,i thought i was really going to fall and get hurt..Finally a passerby ran over and pulled the plug outa the wall.