PDA

View Full Version : Traveling Question

RounderRick
01-30-2011, 06:56 PM
I see a lot of people posting about traveling to different states to metal detect and I'm just wondering how one goes about doing this.
Guess the question is when you travel to other states what do you do about permission, do you hunt private land or state owned lands or what?
I know even local locating the owner of some properties can take some time as a lot of them don't live around the property site so do you check all this info before you leave or just search for owners when you get there if you see a place that looks promising?
Reason I'm asking is I haven't really been anywhere except around here since I got into the hobby but the wife and I have talked about taking a vacation away from here real soon and I for sure want to take my detector and explore so new ground.

coinnut
01-30-2011, 07:16 PM
I would stick to places that are easier to find out, like beaches or parks. You can contact the states tourism web sites and then link to a question and answer section to ask about detecting, or just call them. You can also post on the forum if you know what areas you are gonna visit. And if you are lucky, someone will extend you an invite to detect with them thumbsup01 That's just some of the ways to do it.

Nitro 54
01-30-2011, 07:48 PM
You can hunt most city parks and schools on weekends without any problems

Jaybird
01-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Ricky
I do alot of traveling from Colorado to Nebraska, Kansas and neighboring states to hunt. I know people in some of the places I go and some times i don't. Each year I do a road trip and take a week or so to travel on different back roads here in Colorado. I never expect to find that virgin site but many of the smaller towns around will have areas that will be very productive. Like many of the so called pros have written in their guides---try to get permission or at least check with the police to see if there is a problem with Metal Detectors on public property. I know of a few towns (Laramie Wyoming, Wheatridge Colorado etc.) that are off limits to Mding. Most will be friendly to you if you ask. Even private residences will give you permission about 90% of the time if you present yourself in a respectable manner. You will find the local coffee houses where the old timers like myself, a very good place to inquire about good places where older events took place. Maybe even give you access to private property. If it is a County Seat then the County Clerk has a map that tells who owns homes and even where older farmsteads in the county are located. GOOD LUCK to you! thumbsup01

Jay