PDA

View Full Version : Walker Among Ten Silver

angellionel
12-02-2009, 09:39 PM
The excitement from yesterday's finds had still not abated by today. It had been fun digging up four mercury dimes from one hole and walking away from the park with eight silver coins. I had no thoughts of being able to surpass that anytime soon, yet today I somehow managed to do just that.

I returned to the park, picking up from where I had left off on my last grid. What took place next had me smiling like a little boy at a candy store. I turned on my machine, noise canceled, and began my grid. Then, on my fifth or sixth sweep, I heard that distinctive silver tone. The type that makes you stop on your tracks. I hovered and slowly swept the coil over the target to determine the approximate depth as well as possible identification. The Fe numbers were hitting between 8 and 10, and the Co number 46/47, that of a half dollar. The depth gauge was indicating a possible 8 or 9 inches. Dare I hope for another half?

I did not waste any time cutting the plug, though I was careful to make it wide enough so as not to clip the target with my digger. I scooped out plenty of soil, and after digging eight inches or so I saw my target - a Walker! I picked it up to look at the date - 1943-D. Sweet! This one makes my 10th silver half this year - five Barber half dollars, four Walking Liberty halves, and one Franklin.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/CPH_1943Dhalf_120209.jpg

I was feeling very good after digging the WLH, and confident that I would walk away from the park with at least another two silver coins. But it turned out to be much better than that, as I had ten silver coins in my pouch by the end of the day. Gridding pays off!

The soil sure wanted to hold on to this 1938 mercury dime.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/CPH_1938merc_120209.jpg

A 1947 Roosevelt dime.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/CPH_1947rosie_120209.jpg

The large silver I dug up today. The quarter was another sweet surprise.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/CPH_largesilver_120209.jpg

And the silver dimes, dated 1938, 1940-S, 1942, 1945-D, 1945-S, 1946, 1947 and 1964

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/CPH_silverdimes_120209.jpg

I also picked up this Chinese coin. It's the size of a large U.S. copper. I have yet to identify the type or year.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/CPH_chinesecoin_120209.jpg

Winter, stay away!!

HH!

coinnut
12-02-2009, 09:47 PM
I think everyone has officially stopped talking to you :lol: :lol: :lol: Sweet hunt. What a year for you. You should have started counting some of these for next year :thumbsup01:

xzlr8n
12-02-2009, 09:49 PM
WOW :twirlingeyes:. Maybe I should have got the E-Trac :confused:. I think you can go professional now, call your agent and get that NFL sized signing bonus :tongue:..

angellionel
12-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks guys! :thumbsup01:

I think everyone has officially stopped talking to you lol lol lol Sweet hunt. What a year for you. You should have started counting some of these for next year :thumbsup01:

I think Epi is ready to shut off her phone. :lol: Just kidding Angie! :shocked04:

Epi-hunter
12-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys! thumbsup01

I think Epi is ready to shut off her phone. lol Just kidding Angie! :shocked04:

I'm not going to shut off my phone :)

Glad I got an unlimited text option :lol:

I have never learned more than I have from Angel. I can't put into words what I have learned.

Incredible day :) :)

Beefcake
12-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Good grief man! That's amazing!

coinnut
12-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I have never learned more than I have from Angel. I can't put into words what I have learned.

I learned something too :) Don't hunt against Angel :lol: :rolleyes: :confused:

OkieDigger
12-02-2009, 10:15 PM
What else can anyone say? Congrats!

randy
12-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Ok, we need a group hunt. The field vs Angel :grin: Bring it on. Nice hunt man.

Bentfork
12-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Very nice take today. :thumbsup01:

Stang1968
12-03-2009, 01:50 AM
What's your count at now? You're beyond on fire! Nice looking half you found too.

del
12-03-2009, 03:37 AM
Ok, we need a group hunt. The field vs Angel :grin:

i think he would need to spot us a few silver coins still just so we'll have a fighting chance :lol: :lol: ;)

the amount of silver you've aquired is staggering Angel . over 425 silver coins now your my hero :smitten: great hunt

Dan

catskillcomics
12-03-2009, 05:53 AM
I was correct.. you are the Silver Surfer!!! Finding 10 silvers is one thing.. but add the dollar in the mix brings it all to another level of WOW! :shocked04:

Epi-hunter
12-03-2009, 07:24 AM
That is a beautiful half BTW... I was ready to get out the bat when I heard you found another half! :beatdown: :lol:

I'm curious what that Chinese coin turns out to be.

yazoo
12-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Nice silver ,gotta love those halfs.The chinese coin looks interesting. H.H. Yazoo

bmattioli
12-03-2009, 08:36 AM
That's a beauty Angel, nice half! I kept thinking man what a nice day to detect and yesterday was one.. Please just leave one Silver coin for me at the park!

angellionel
12-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Thank you for the kinds words everyone!

What's your count at now? You're beyond on fire! Nice looking half you found too.

Currently the count stand at 427.

Ok, we need a group hunt. The field vs Angel :grin: Bring it on. Nice hunt man.

i think he would need to spot us a few silver coins still just so we'll have a fighting chance :lol: :lol: ;)

the amount of silver you've aquired is staggering Angel . over 425 silver coins now your my hero :smitten: great hunt

Dan

It would be no contest guys!:lol: I wouldn't stand a chance even with a three day head start. :shocked04: :lol:

I was correct.. you are the Silver Surfer!!! Finding 10 silvers is one thing.. but add the dollar in the mix brings it all to another level of WOW! :shocked04:

Believe me, I was quite surprised to see another silver half come out of that park. :shocked04: I had been expecting to find only silver dimes, with an occasional silver quarter thrown in. :)

That is a beautiful half BTW... I was ready to get out the bat when I heard you found another half! :beatdown: :lol:

I'm curious what that Chinese coin turns out to be.

That one deserved a call. :lol:

I'm curious about the Chinese coin too. :confused: I do like the dragon design. :)

That's a beauty Angel, nice half! I kept thinking man what a nice day to detect and yesterday was one.. Please just leave one Silver coin for me at the park!

There should be plenty left for your new E-Trac to sniff out. :thumbsup01: Thanks Bruce. It was a pleasant day, even if overcast.

marchas45
12-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Angel you amaze me, you've got me going slow and griding my search and I still don't come close to you on the amount of Silver you find. Your just one plain helluva Detectorists and my hero awesome finds. :drool: :drool: :drool:

BHNugget
12-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Simply incredible Angellionel! :thumbsup01:

MNDigger
12-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Incredible hunt Angel! Congrats on all the silver especially the WLH! They have always been one of my favorite coins!

bigjohn070
12-03-2009, 05:35 PM
SWEEET :cool:

HH
BIG JOHN

hoser
12-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Awesome finds that's for sure. But now you need a challenge. I think you should come up here and hunt where I go. No park, just 500,000 acres to choose from where to go next. :shocked04: :lol: One of these days I'll find a place that produces the goodies like you have found. :grin:

z118
12-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Angel, I can only get excited by posts that I can comprehend. And this is beyond comprehendable! Just amazing. Congrats!

sectshun8
12-05-2009, 05:59 AM
Another amazing haul Angel.

On your Chinese coin.

Using the 1901-2000 Krausse Standard Catalog on Google Books. (http://books.google.com/books?id=rseuLmTlEZAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=catal og+of+world+coins#v=onepage&q=China&f=false).. it would appear to be a very early 1900s either 10 or 20 Cash Coin, looks like it says HU POO on it... which is like the Ministry of Finance or Board of Revenue. Can't tell exactly without a clean pic, but that should help narrow your search big time.

TimC
12-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Great day in the morning those kind of days don't come along very ofter. Completely Amazing.

angellionel
12-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Anaother amazing haul Angel.

On your Chinese coin.

Using the 1901-2000 Krausse Standard Catalog on Google Books. (http://books.google.com/books?id=rseuLmTlEZAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=catal og+of+world+coins#v=onepage&q=China&f=false).. it would appear to be a very early 1900s either 10 or 20 Cash Coin, looks like it says HU POO on it... which is like the Ministry of Finance or Board of Revenue. Can't tell exactly without a clean pic, but that should help narrow your search big time.

I'll have to try and remove some of the surface soil with some coin conditioner. It should help in revealing more of the details.

That's one link worth saving; I'm sure it will come in handy. Very good information, Jimmy! Thanks! :thumbsup01: