PDA

View Full Version : A Quote From The Book Double Eagle

Bell-Two
01-31-2011, 12:04 AM
The following is from the opening passage of the book Double Eagle---The Epic Story Of The World's Most Valuable Coin by Alison Frankel. The sentiments expressed I feel we as metal detectorist can understand.

A coin—Even a coin as beautiful as the 1933 Double Eagle—is nothing more than a small, round piece of metal, cold and hard to the touch. A coin does not change. The figure of Liberty caught in mid stride on the front of the 1933 Double Eagle will never complete her step. Her face, frozen in determination, will never break into a smile, a grimace, a sneer. A coin feels nothing. It has no heart and no soul. But it does have a story. Every coin has one, even the humblest penny lying forgotten on the pavement. Whose pockets carried that coin? How long is the chain of people who touched that particular bit of metal? And what fleeting moments in their lives does it commemorate? Coins are the tokens of destiny, hard evidence of millions of random, ephemeral intersection between otherwise-unconnected existences. Coins’ stories are our stories, their changeless faces the silent witnesses to our engagement with the world.

Nitro 54
01-31-2011, 12:17 AM
How true are them words ..... thumbsup01 A Double Eagle sure would be a neat find ... :smitten: :smitten: :drool: :drool: :twirlingeyes:

Jeff (or)
01-31-2011, 12:30 AM
Yep, very beautiful coin, still waiting to find one. Maybe tomorrow..... 8)

jkress
01-31-2011, 01:20 AM
Whose pockets carried that coin? How long is the chain of people who touched that particular bit of metal?

I think this every time I dig an oldie. :yes: Sometime I ponder the very worn coin, and wonder how many loaves or bread, how many gallons of gas, how many entrances to ball games, what ball games?...etc.

Really makes you wonder. :thinkingabout: Oh.... the little joys of the hobby. :)

Bell-Two
01-31-2011, 09:31 AM
I think this every time I dig an oldie. :yes: Sometime I ponder the very worn coin, and wonder how many loaves or bread, how many gallons of gas, how many entrances to ball games, what ball games?...etc.

Really makes you wonder. :thinkingabout: Oh.... the little joys of the hobby. :)

Those very thoughts inspired this poem.

What Is It You Have Found?

What is that sound that broach my ear
The ring of coin so crystal clear
Is it silver or pray be gold
Of a time long past of days of old
It is more than that if truth be said
Payment for sustenance for a family’s bread
A daily wage earned by sweat of brow
Lost and gone until discovered now
So when you grasp that coin in hand
Think not just of your treasure grand
For what we find for what we gain
Was for another mournful pain
So think not of just what be found
What we saved from earthly ground
But think of whom and what and when
For what for them that might have been
It is not just treasure that for us that gleams
You’re holding in your hands another’s dream

© Tony Mantia

giant056
01-31-2011, 09:45 AM
A double eagle sure would be an awesome coin to find, any gold coin would be!!

psychposse
01-31-2011, 11:02 AM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Good thread!

jkress
01-31-2011, 03:22 PM
Those very thoughts inspired this poem.

Nice :yes: . I remember reading your poem when you originally posted it... loved it then too.

coinnut
02-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Coins definitely do hold them stories. :yes: I guess so do relics and jewelry, heck even pull tabs. I guess that is why we do what we do. thumbsup01

zrickkid
02-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Truer words were never spoken! :angelic:

russellt
02-03-2011, 07:37 PM
those are all very interesting quotes... but so true. so , so , true. still a wonderfull coin, very elegant.

tanacat
02-04-2011, 05:36 PM
I absolutely love your poem... so true... the part about what we gain was another's mournful pain... I've thought of that, esp the large silvers. Just think how much food one could buy in the 1800's/early 1900's...

I'd like to read it aloud at our next local MD club meeting, if you don't mind :)

Bell-Two
02-04-2011, 05:45 PM
I absolutely love your poem... so true... the part about what we gain was another's mournful pain... I've thought of that, esp the large silvers. Just think how much food one could buy in the 1800's/early 1900's...

I'd like to read it aloud at our next local MD club meeting, if you don't mind :)

Please feel free to read it to your group. Sent you a PM

JTGOLD
02-04-2011, 06:47 PM
money is the root of all evil but it sure would be nice to find one of thoes evil coins :devilish:

Bell-Two
02-04-2011, 07:56 PM
money is the root of all evil but it sure would be nice to find one of thoes evil coins :devilish:

Money itself is only an object, it is the love of money which is the problem. The Bible quote is:

1Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith, and pierced themselves with many a pang.

RaZR
02-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Bible Nazi! rofl

Bell-Two
02-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Bible Nazi! rofl

Mentioned for accuracy, if you quote something it behooves one to be correct. And you can quote me on that! :peace: