PDA

View Full Version : In the Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois...

jkress
01-31-2011, 01:14 AM
intersect area:huh:

Dave in Iowa and I are always on the look out for another hunting buddy. :thinkingabout:

Dave and I get out around once a week... during the thawed season. lol

If near... give a holler. :yes:

dave in iowa
01-31-2011, 12:11 PM
same here Joe , would be nice to expand our horizons

Carver
02-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Wish I lived a little closer to you guys. I'm in the extreme SE corner of Iowa :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

jkress
02-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Wish I lived a little closer to you guys. I'm in the extreme SE corner of Iowa :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

Maybe someday this summer you go north and we'll head south and meet up in the middle at an un-hunted 10 acre park that was in use between 1850 and (when were pull tabs invented?) along with being rumored to hold multiple caches of gold coins. lol

Carver
02-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Maybe someday this summer you go north and we'll head south and meet up in the middle at an un-hunted 10 acre park that was in use between 1850 and (when were pull tabs invented?) along with being rumored to hold multiple caches of gold coins. lol

Yes,,,I have heard of this place,, :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: LOL :clapping: :clapping:

greg
02-01-2011, 07:14 PM
I grew up in Davenport IA. Man I know some good places there I would like to hunt

jkress
02-01-2011, 09:48 PM
I grew up in Davenport IA. Man I know some good places there I would like to hunt

Davenport is not too far from here at all. If you ever get back... thumbsup01

milco
02-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Dave and Joe, you know I'll be reaching out if I make down your way this year!

jkress
02-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Dave and Joe, you know I'll be reaching out if I make down your way this year!

thumbsup01

I was hoping we could have made a fall hunt together last season... but this we'll make sure our paths cross. :yes:

Nitro 54
02-01-2011, 11:00 PM
If only you were closer :thinkingabout:

Fire Fighter 43
02-02-2011, 09:37 PM
How close are you to WI. I might be up for a road trip if the spot looks good. I'm in the Milwaukee area.

jkress
02-02-2011, 09:45 PM
How close are you to WI. I might be up for a road trip if the spot looks good. I'm in the Milwaukee area.

We're about 170 miles apart, but I'm pretty sure that Milco is right in your area. Maybe we all do a little road time this summer and meet up some where in the middle. :thinkingabout:

Fire Fighter 43
02-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Sounds good to me, Maybe I'll digger AKA Timmy from Illl could join us. We tried to get together last year but it did not happen. We both agreed to make it happen this year. I'll PM you my cel #
Jeff

jkress
02-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Sounds good to me, Maybe I'll digger AKA Timmy from Illl could join us. We tried to get together last year but it did not happen. We both agreed to make it happen this year. I'll PM you my cel #
Jeff

thumbsup01

zrickkid
02-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Im just outside of Chicago. Who knows maybe a road trip is in order!

milco
02-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Some where in Green County would be about half way in between I bet. Now we just need to do some research and find a good site somewhere between Beloit, Brodhead, Monroe area. We just need to keep talkin' about it and it will happen.

jkress
02-03-2011, 11:55 PM
We just need to keep talkin' about it and it will happen.

Yes, you are correct. I'll start some research this weekend for Green county and see what we can get rolling. Sure beats looking outside and being depressed. :yes: :happydance01:

marinedad
02-04-2011, 12:53 AM
i'm here too, 2 towns away from TIMMY il.digger.

jkress
02-04-2011, 01:53 AM

Sounds like we have the makings of a great regional hunt in the works. :peace:

Ill Digger
02-04-2011, 02:00 AM
Sounds good to me, Maybe I'll digger AKA Timmy from Illl could join us.
Jeff

Who? Me? :shocked01:
Thanks for thinking about me guys :embarrassed:
Oh yeah !! You guys know I'm in !!
Like I need a reason !! lol :crazy:
Thats the ill part of Ill Digger :crazy: :crazy: lol

Fire Fighter 43
02-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Here is a link to the history of the Green County Fair grounds. It looks like the present grounds date back to the 1860's. I know that fairgrounds are a challenge to hunt but it is a large area that could accomedate a bigger group. I sent them an email just to see if it would be an option for us. I will post updates when they get back to me.

http://www.greencountyfair.net/history/history.html

dave in iowa
02-04-2011, 04:18 PM
In 1966-67 i used to play music with my band in monroe at Joe's White Elephant, i have a cousin that lives in monroe , ill ask here if she knows anyone with info on it.

Ill Digger
02-04-2011, 05:02 PM
I seen on the google map that there's a nice big park in Monroe too.
Plenty big enough to hold a lot of hunters. Just a thought...just in-case
But the 1860's fair grounds sounds much more delectable :drool: :drool: lol

jkress
02-05-2011, 12:00 AM
:clapping:

Great stuff FF43 and Dave. :happydance01:

I do :smitten: the thought of hunting those fair grounds.

Good point that we need to find a site big enough to hold multiple treasure hunters. That is the key here. thumbsup01

I'll see what I can come up with too.

Epi-hunter
02-05-2011, 06:21 PM
I grew up in Maquoketa, just half an hour from Davenport on one side and half an hour from where jkress lives on the other side. I go back a few times a year as my mom still lives there. Next time I go back, I would love to get together with you guys to detect. :yes:

greg
02-05-2011, 06:30 PM
I grew up in Maquoketa, just half an hour from Davenport on one side and half an hour from where jkress lives on the other side. I go back a few times a year as my mom still lives there. Next time I go back, I would love to get together with you guys to detect. :yes:

When I was a kid I went to a place called the Maquoketa caves

Epi-hunter
02-06-2011, 09:37 AM
When I was a kid I went to a place called the Maquoketa caves

Me too. It's a great place. No metal detecting allowed though. :-\

milco
02-06-2011, 09:55 AM
The big park in Monroe goes back to the 1880's at least and I have been there but before detecting days. Probably would be OK for a group of 3-5, but not any more than that. I like the idea of the fairgrounds if we could get permission for that.

greg
02-06-2011, 11:40 AM

I bet there would be a lot of good digging there

jkress
02-07-2011, 02:52 AM

I thought I heard, this summer, that they closed that place down due to a bat thing. :confused:

True?

dave in iowa
02-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Yes they did . thats what i heard.

milco
02-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Here is some cool info and history on Green County fair at this link guys:

http://www.greencountyfair.net/history/history.html

milco
03-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Anyone hear anything back on the Green Co fairgrounds? I think there is some potential there. I hope the snow goes away soon and we can all figure out a time to meet up some place, sounds like a great time.

Full Metal Digger
03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
I'd like to throw my hat in the ring too!

jkress
03-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Anyone hear anything back on the Green Co fairgrounds? I think there is some potential there. I hope the snow goes away soon and we can all figure out a time to meet up some place, sounds like a great time.

I was wondering the same thing. I found the contact information http://greencountyfair.net/contacts.html and would be more than happy to call, but first wanted to find out if anyone else has contacted them or is planning to. If not, I will plan on calling them at the first part of next week.

Definitely some potential here... http://greencountyfair.net/history/history.html

Glad you are interested too DD. :yes:

Fire Fighter 43
03-04-2011, 10:29 PM
I sent the fairgrounds an Email back when we started this thread and I have not heard back from them. I've also tried to call several times with no answer.

Ill Digger
03-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Should someone try and contact them again? Or is that going to be too pushy?

Fire Fighter 43
03-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Since I sent the initial Email I will make a follow up to my email with a phone call.
I will keep you all posted.
Jeff

jkress
03-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Since I sent the initial Email I will make a follow up to my email with a phone call.
I will keep you all posted.
Jeff

thumbsup01

dave in iowa
03-05-2011, 03:36 AM
Sounds like a great idea and a great way to meet you guys and do some detecting. thumbsup01

milco
03-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Just throwing out another possible group hunt location. Take a look at Big Hill Park in Beloit. The park dates back to the 1920's and is almost 200 acres. Plenty of open area as well as wooded terrain along the Rock River.

Fire Fighter 43
04-18-2011, 10:26 AM
The Green County Fair grounds finally got back to me and they do not allow metal detecting on the grounds.

Ill Digger
04-18-2011, 11:53 AM
The Green County Fair grounds finally got back to me and they do not allow metal detecting on the grounds.
Bummer :(
So whats plan &quot:beerbuddy:? We can either try the other park there in Monroe (Twining Park) or the place that Milco suggested in Beloit (Big Hill Park) :dontknow:
I'm easy. You guys choose. Either ones fine with me. :popcorn:

DetectorDanG
02-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Hi all! New to this forum. Im in southern wisconsin, near Madison. If either of the parks mentioned are State parks, then they are off limits. If not, contact the city of Monroe or Beloit to see about permission if they are city parks. I would be interested in joining a group dig also!

Ill Digger
02-14-2012, 02:11 AM
Hi all! New to this forum. Im in southern wisconsin, near Madison....
.... I would be interested in joining a group dig also!
Hey DetectorDanG :groovy:
You know this whole thing kinda fell through. :thinkingabout: It would be cool to try and set something up again this spring. :yes:

Tony Two-Cent
02-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Hey DetectorDanG :groovy:
You know this whole thing kinda fell through. :thinkingabout: It would be cool to try and set something up again this spring. :yes:

And I would definitely be up for joining in this time! It would only be a couple hours drive for me.
thumbsup01

Fire Fighter 43
02-14-2012, 05:22 PM
In the fall I started to look for a place that we could have a Am Det group hunt but did not have much luck. Maybe some of you Midwesterners may know of a place in your area. I was looking for an old scout/youth camp or Fair/ carnival grounds something along those lines where there would be enough room for a big group to hunt for a weekend. It would also have to have the potential for some older coins. What do you think?

Full Metal Digger
02-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Would there be room for one more? I'm willing to overnight road trip for good finds!

Dinger51
02-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Don't think I haven't been looking at this..... It would be great to get together with you guys/gals. Could always use a few tips and tricks..

Ill Digger
02-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Don't think I haven't been looking at this..... It would be great to get together with you guys/gals. Could always use a few tips and tricks..
Cool! :cool:
Don't worry Jordan, if it happens... we can make room for a Buckeye or two....or three.... or.... :yes: thumbsup01

milco
02-19-2012, 06:56 PM
I'll throw out a couple ideas, no idea if any are viable though.

Jo Daviess Co Fairgrounds - Warren
Camp Canyon Boy Scout Camp - near Stockton
Freeport parks?

Maybe someone on here has some connections to the first two and could help us with permission.

Fire Fighter 43
02-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks Milco, the camp and the fairgrounds sound interesting. The camps website states it was founded in 1932 and it is 283 acres. They also have cabins for rent so it could hold a bigger group. If no one objects I will make a call this week and see if they would let us hunt it and what weekends would be available.
Does anyone know anymore history about these sites? Usually scout camps were something else before the scouts bought the land. I'm sure the fairgrounds is old but how much is virgin ground and how much has it been hunted in the past.
Thanks again Milco for your imput hopefully we can make this happen this year.

Ill Digger
02-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Yeah! Thanks Darren thumbsup01
I don't have any objections to either of the sites. \:hammer:

Does anyone know anymore history about these sites?
No. But I'll do a little lookin' around into the history of the sites too. See if I can find anything :dontknow:

milco
02-20-2012, 10:17 PM
FF43, thanks for making the call on the scout camp. I really think that may be the best option for a group outing if they would let us on there. Not much there but woods and riverbank going way, way back. I keep researching in the meantime. It would be ideal if we could get a scout map of the camp from the 1930's or 1940's showing where the various campsites were. These maps do exist, as I have seen them before for other scout camps. We just gotta keep checking in on this and make this group hunt happen. Sometime in May or June I think would be ideal.

milco
02-20-2012, 10:20 PM
I would also add this is about 1-1/2 hours from Dubuque and about 2-1/2 hours from Milwaukee. Not quite half way, but I would make the trip for a good site and to meet some AD MDers.

milco
02-20-2012, 10:37 PM
1946 aerial of camp area.

jyounglove87
03-22-2012, 11:58 PM
I am new to metal detecting and I am tyring to find some places to hunt. I live in the Chicago area but my family owns property not far from the Wisconsin Dells. About 10 minutes from the property is an old school house that is abandoned. The are many broken windows on the building. There is also a small fenced in area where it appears a small playground use to be. Anyone interested in meeting up and hunting this with me?

Josh