PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

myleswest
02-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Hello everyone,I live in Tombstone, Arizona and was in my back yard trying to fine tune my metal detector.
While scanning an area I got a strong signal and when I dug down about 5 or 6 inches I found two bricks.
The signal was still strong so I dug underneath the bricks and I found this ball.
It weighs about 5 pounds and looks like it has copper in it. [photo attached].
Does anyone have any ideas of what the object might be? And why would it be buried under two bricks?
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Myles

giant056
02-01-2011, 02:37 PM
That's a really cool find ya got there but I don't have any idea what it might be. thumbsup01

Salty Dog
02-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Nice looks like you got yourself an Alien Deflabulater,don't handle it to much ,it will make you skinny rofl ,no real idea,but a cool find for sure :beerbuddy:

SeabeeRon
02-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Can't help either, but that is a unique find, will watching this thread to see what others think!

pulltabsteve
02-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Is it magnetic? Neat looking find Myles :clapping:

coinnut
02-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Why it looks like a copper orange lol I have no idea what something like that would be. The size is what is puzzling about it. I hope it's not from a military testing area and is part of some kind of cluster bomb or something :shocked04: I hope you don't blow up. :confused: It is a very interesting find for sure and a puzzling one as to what the bricks signify (other than to locate it by probing and hitting the bricks?)

Nitro 54
02-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Funny looking cannon ball :confused: :thinkingabout:

jkress
02-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Interesting... I found one of those this last summer. Mine is about half the size of the one you have pictured. I still don't know what it is. :confused: Mine has the same patina as yours. It was a nice signal though. :yes:

coinnut
02-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Why it looks like a copper orange lol

Interesting... I found one of those this last summer. Mine is about half the size of the one you have pictured.

You must have found the tangerine :cheesysmile:

myleswest
02-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Interesting... I found one of those this last summer. Mine is about half the size of the one you have pictured. I still don't know what it is. :confused: Mine has the same patina as yours. It was a nice signal though. :yes:

The second photo although very blury...shows a slight indentation at the top. And when examining the ball closely, you can notice a slight line...maybe from casting?
I wonder if what looks like copper to me is perhaps Brass.
Supposedly, Mexicans used brass in some small cannon balls.
Myles

Jeff (or)
02-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Very interesting find,no idea here, maybe a trip to the local musuem might give a clue. :dontknow: :popcorn:

del
02-02-2011, 09:20 PM
i was also wondering if it was maybe brass instead of copper , they have and still do make brass shotputs for schools . about how much does this thing weigh :huh:

jkress
02-02-2011, 09:52 PM
I wonder if what looks like copper to me is perhaps Brass.

I always assumed mine was made of brass, but it definitely looks just like yours.

myleswest
02-02-2011, 10:07 PM
i was also wondering if it was maybe brass instead of copper , they have and still do make brass shotputs for schools . about how much does this thing weigh :huh:

Its not smooth like a you would think a ball bearing would be and it weighs about 5 pounds.
Myleswest.

zrickkid
02-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Not sure what it could be, I hope you find out though. :interesting: :thinkingabout: :dontknow:

CyberSage
02-03-2011, 08:23 AM
I think you found the top part to a brass fireplace Andiron...

http://www.greenwichantiques.net/Full%20Views/andirons_brass1.JPG

psychposse
02-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Hope it isn't Radioactive :shocked04:

Check out this site: Lot #86 http://www.sedwickcoins.com/treasureauction7/artifacts.htm

Here it is again: Sold for $650
http://www.icollector.com/Treasure-Auction-7-Daniel-F-Sedwick-LLC_as17180_p11

If that is what you have, cool. I would be searching for more in that area!

BOWSER
02-06-2011, 05:56 PM
grapeshot found in applevalley in orange county. :dontknow:

russellt
02-09-2011, 12:48 PM
now that is weird..put in a burn barrel and see if it goes boom :popcorn: :popcorn: