PDA

View Full Version : If only...

jkress
02-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Tonight, by chance I found these photos that I took just about 20 years ago.

I remember I was hiking in the woods that fall afternoon, looking for stuff to photograph. Came over a ridge and saw this abandoned house. Of course it was worthy of some pictures, but man-'o-man I wish I was metal detecting back then. It was an old farmhouse with basement, upstairs, outhouse and very large overgrown yard.

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-13.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-14.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectoristMisc/pictures/picture-15.jpg

I think I can remember the general area and from g-maps perhaps see if it still stands, but at lot could have changed in 20 years. Pretty safe to say the place, at that point, had not been metal detected.

If only...

pulltabsteve
02-01-2011, 10:27 PM
I can see the silver all around that house.... That looks like it would have been a great place.

coinnut
02-01-2011, 10:27 PM
I smell Seated coins lol Well at least Barber :rolleyes: What a sad sight to see such a nice house just let go :crying02: I love the photos. Start thinking and start planning a hunt there. Hope it's still there and the ground isn't riddled with holes rofl

milco
02-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Go for it Joe! Hope you find it and it brings you a whole bag of silver!

jkress
02-01-2011, 10:37 PM
I can see the silver all around that house....

I smell Seated coins lol Well at least Barber :rolleyes:

You guys are killing me. :bangahead01: rofl rofl

I'm thinking the best time to try this site would be early spring... right after the snow and before new growth. Packing in a weed whacker probably isn't a bad idea either.

Time to figure out who owns that land. :yes:

Nitro 54
02-01-2011, 11:03 PM
What are you waiting for ?? another 20 years, I'd be finding that place again :envious: :envious:

jkress
02-01-2011, 11:59 PM
What are you waiting for ?? another 20 years, I'd be finding that place again :envious: :envious:

Just found the memory :) ... I'm working on it. :yes: I need to remember where exactly it was, and who owns the land now. I'll get there. ;)

Jaybird
02-02-2011, 12:09 AM
jkress

Just a thought but the county sometimes have current maps of where farmsteads once stood. Go to the County Clerk with the approximate location and his older maps if they have them would probably would be of some value to you. Smaller counties will help you in many cases. HH and GOOD LUCK thumbsup01

Ill Digger
02-02-2011, 12:17 AM
:drool: :drool: :drool:
I'd even make the drive clear to Iowa to get a whack at that place! :yes: thumbsup01 lol
I'm with George .....you can almost smell the silver there waiting for us....I mean you...I mean....waiting to be found !! :angelic: lol
Looks good ! :yes: thumbsup01 :drool:

jkress
02-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Just a thought but the county sometimes have current maps of where farmsteads once stood. Go to the County Clerk with the approximate location and his older maps if they have them would probably would be of some value to you. Smaller counties will help you in many cases. HH and GOOD LUCK thumbsup01

Thanks Jaybird. I plan on doing some research on this site over next week and your tip will definitely come in handy. thumbsup01 I appreciate it.

M-Taliesin
02-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Howdy Amigo!
If you go back there, be sure to scan the interior walls, especially around windows and doors. There may be caches hidden in the old place. Folks got distrustful of banks after the great depression, and often cached coins and other valuables on the property. Don't feel timid about using a handheld, like the Garrett ProPointer, to check the interior. Could turn out to be a treasure trove!

Good luck, and hope you get to hunt the heck out of that old place.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Judy
02-02-2011, 01:39 AM
Schawing! now that would be 1st on my list of to dos come thaw!! Bounce bounce!! <:

greg
02-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Man. Love that bottom pic.

Carver
02-02-2011, 09:31 AM
That's definitely a great looking spot jkress!!!!! Checking the walls could be good,,,but,,, I don't know if I'd wanna be walking around on those floors,,,especially after 20 years. You might end up somewhere you can't get out of,,,,,good luck finding the owner,,,keep us posted :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01:

leslie(nova scotia)
02-02-2011, 10:33 AM
From the land of the Bluenose...man that does look inviting for a look see!

RaZR
02-02-2011, 04:08 PM
My county has a website you can go to and it tells you who owns the property. All you need is some basic information as to the location of the property. Address, etc...
I have a few places i'm gonna try to get in touch with the owners this spring.
GL/HH

russellt
02-02-2011, 10:23 PM
if you only knew how many times i have asked myself the same question.. i remember deer hunting with my grand father down around millegville GA( the GA capital until around 1850). we would ride log trails for what seemed like forever to get to the spot.... i remember seeing abandoned homeplaces all over the place ... AAAAHHHHHHHH the stuff of dreams ..