PDA

View Full Version : How do they measure

Carver
02-02-2011, 09:36 AM
snow totals after a blizzard?? We've got bare ground in spots,,then a 6' to 8' drift in another. They are saying we got 20 plus,,,,,,
Wind is still blowing like mad,,,,I'm hoping it will move the huge drift that's in front of my garage :interesting: :interesting: :interesting: :interesting: :interesting: :interesting: :interesting:

coinnut
02-02-2011, 09:56 AM
snow totals after a blizzard?? We've got bare ground in spots,,then a 6' to 8' drift in another. They are saying we got 20 plus,,,,,,
Wind is still blowing like mad,,,,I'm hoping it will move the huge drift that's in front of my garage :interesting: :interesting: :interesting: :interesting: :interesting: :interesting: :interesting:

I wonder if they do it like rain, with a guage. Wonder if they have a barrel or something where the wind can not affect it but the snow drops into it like it does anywhere else? :confused: :confused: I guage it this way: No snow = GREAT, little snow = I can still detect and even see my footprints YIPEE, more snow than that = :mad: :mad: :mad:

JTGOLD
02-02-2011, 11:00 AM
got the same here in IL. too,can't even get out my front door :bangahead01:. guess I will stay in and :sleepy: :sleepy:.

Carver
02-02-2011, 11:04 AM
got the same here in IL. too,can't even get out my front door :bangahead01:. guess I will stay in and :sleepy: :sleepy:.

Hey Terry!!
Yup,,, good day to sit and stay warm,,,,I might trudge out to the shop and work for a little while,,,,kinda hard when everyone else is home and doing nothing. Really,,It's very pretty out ,,,haven't seen a storm like this one since '79

Carver
02-02-2011, 11:07 AM
I wonder if they do it like rain, with a guage. Wonder if they have a barrel or something where the wind can not affect it but the snow drops into it like it does anywhere else? :confused: :confused: I guage it this way: No snow = GREAT, little snow = I can still detect and even see my footprints YIPEE, more snow than that = :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hey George,,,,It must be something like that,,,I was thinking about trying our local State Forest this weekend,,,,,maybe next weekend :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: rofl rofl

exsquid
02-02-2011, 11:42 AM
I think they use some sort of can to catch the snow in....

Carver, we get the same thing here with our flat lands that we have around us and high winds. It can snow two inches sometimes and we can end up with four foot drifts in our road out front... Other times, depending on the winds, it can snow a foot and the roads are bare....but not usually... lol

On a day like today just gotta keep wood in the stove and enjoy it as much as you can....

:yes:

giant056
02-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Ain't no bare spots around here but there's plenty of drifting still going on and still getting plenty of snow.

MartinL
02-02-2011, 11:56 AM
OK I cheated and went to Google. The snowboard is most accurate but you'll see in the link that sticking a ruler into the snow has it's appeal. martin

http://www.suite101.com/content/how-to-measure-snowfall-correctly-a78360
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Using a Snowboard for Accurate Snowfall Measurements

Forecasters agree that the most accurate method for measuring snowfall (that is what is currently falling: there is a difference) is by using something called a snowboard. Essentially this is a piece of wood about 16 by 16 that is painted white.

Measuring from the ground is not good practice, say forecasters, because the blades of grass may actually hold the snow above the actual ground, which will in turn artificially inflate readings.

Generally it is agreed that snowboards should be wiped clean every six hours or so to prevent the natural settling of fallen snow from occurring. In addition, these should be placed well away from structures and obstructions -- about 20 to 30 feet if possible -- in order to prevent drifting from inflating the totals as well.

Read more at Suite101: How to Measure Snowfall Correctly: Accurate Measurements are More Than Sticking a Ruler in the Ground http://www.suite101.com/content/how-to-measure-snowfall-correctly-a78360#ixzz1Coz6jKe2

Ill Digger
02-02-2011, 12:18 PM
We were watching all the special news coverage of the &quot:beerbuddy:lizzard of 2011 on T.V. last night.
Tom Skilling from WGN said he's not sure how it's measured with winds like this.
It makes for some cool drifts....
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Blizzard%20of%202011/IMG_0429.jpg

That's my baby blue spruce pine tree in the corner by the fence lol
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Blizzard%20of%202011/IMG_0440.jpg

greg
02-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Man I sure like snow. I hope we get more. If we are lucky it will get even more cold :frozen:

coinnut
02-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Man I sure like snow. I hope we get more. If we are lucky it will get even more cold :frozen:

I'm with you Greg....bring it on, more snow and more :frozen: Who cares about detecting :dontknow:
Well, reverse psychology didn't help me any 8/

greg
02-02-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm with you Greg....bring it on, more snow and more :frozen: Who cares about detecting :dontknow:
Well, reverse psychology didn't help me any 8/

Didn't do a thing for me either, but you gotta try :bangahead01:

russellt
02-03-2011, 08:49 PM
snow fall is measured at meteorological stations located on lat- long lines..at certain designated points...i spent 3 months intalling wireless weather transmitters in cornfields all over GA for fema and gema and the GA technology authority...bunch of political bull.... they have a formula for averaging snowfall similar to measuring rain .........

cnr_dogs
02-03-2011, 08:51 PM
when we have blow storms like that here they measure it by the height of the telephone poles :bangahead01: :bangahead01:

Nitro 54
02-04-2011, 09:23 PM
I hope your wish comes true Greg :frozen: :frozen: You can have it all lol lol

jkress
02-05-2011, 01:27 AM
when we have blow storms like that here they measure it by the height of the telephone poles :bangahead01: :bangahead01:

.... rofl ... nice!