PDA

View Full Version : Walker, Buffs, Roosevelt and Merc

Kimster
02-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Yes, ladies and gentlemen. Today was a very good day for Napa Steve and I at the beach. I spotted this particular beach last spring and have been wanting to give it a try. I thought it would be a good idea to share it with my good buddy, Steve (sorry you had to work today, Dale...but someone has to keep those wheels of industry cranking while Steve and I while away the hours of the day metal detecting).

Anyway, my finds for the day included one 1928 Walking Liberty Half, three buffalo nickels (dates yet to be determined), one 1961 Roosevelt dime, and one 1943 Mercury dime.

That's six old in one day (seven if you count the wheatie I didn't mention). This is five more old than I've ever found in one day, and one more silver than I've ever found in one day. Two personal records broken.

The photos show my finds as they came from the ground. The buffs have a lot of corrosion, but I'm going to try worchstershire first (this is right, right?). However, the salt water corrosion is so bad that tumbling may be required (I guess I'm taking a chance on a key date).

Neither dime is a key date, so I think those will go into the tumbler.

It's the Walking Liberty that I'm stumped on. 1928 is a key date if one considers uncirculated mint (from the red book, $10,500). But in G-4 condition (and this does not even deserve that rating) its worth is $7. So what do I do? Any suggestions from those more experienced in these matters? I'd like to see my WLH nice and shiny, but should I leave it alone, as is? Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

milco
02-02-2011, 08:32 PM
You found some nice old coins, congrats! Too bad they're beat up so bad.

odave
02-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Man You Guy's are killing Me crying01

This working crap stinks rofl

Great finds Buddy !!! Congratulations Kim :beerbuddy: <: <: <:

mike l
02-02-2011, 09:38 PM
The beach is not kind to coins. Cool finds :clapping:

jkress
02-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Fantastic hunt Kim!! :peace:

The salt water definitely did a number on them... but it was a banner day for sure.

Lots of oldies. :happydance01:

Great question about the WLH... :thinkingabout:

DaleGM
02-02-2011, 10:12 PM
the cats away the mice will play, those wheels of industry will shut down for a day like that, no mention on how my little brother did :dontknow: glad you boys had a good day at the beach. awesome!!!!!

Kimster
02-02-2011, 10:47 PM
the cats away the mice will play, those wheels of industry will shut down for a day like that, no mention on how my little brother did :dontknow: glad you boys had a good day at the beach. awesome!!!!!

I didn't want to steal his thunder. He did well, and I figured he'd want to compose his own post with pictures. Besides, I like to keep you in suspense....

zrickkid
02-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Wow salt puts a hurting on those coins. Hope you can clean them up. :rolleyes:

angellionel
02-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Good hunt! Those are some fine finds you made. :clapping: Congrats!

I wouldn't tumble the silver, nor would I attempt to make them shiny. I have found silver at saltwater beaches that had a heavy layer of sulfide on them and that were also pitted. While there isn't much that can be done about the pitting itself, I have used the method I posted HERE (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=813.0) to remove the heavy sulfide. It may take several tries, but the sulfide will be removed. Again though, the pitting will be there. Your half dollar does not look as if it has suffered much of it though, but you won't know for sure until the sulfide is removed.

giant056
02-03-2011, 02:42 AM
Great hunt and finds Kimster thumbsup01 big congrats on them old coins, especially the walker!!

wingmaster
02-03-2011, 02:48 AM
Congrats on all the silver.

Salty Dog
02-03-2011, 05:35 AM
Super day Kim :beerbuddy:,glad you got out and scored some oldies,hope they clean up for you!

Kimster
02-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Good hunt! Those are some fine finds you made. :clapping: Congrats!

I wouldn't tumble the silver, nor would I attempt to make them shiny. I have found silver at saltwater beaches that had a heavy layer of sulfide on them and that were also pitted. While there isn't much that can be done about the pitting itself, I have used the method I posted HERE (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=813.0) to remove the heavy sulfide. It may take several tries, but the sulfide will be removed. Again though, the pitting will be there. Your half dollar does not look as if it has suffered much of it though, but you won't know for sure until the sulfide is removed.

Thanks, Angel. I'll try it.

russellt
02-03-2011, 07:41 PM
awesome bunch of finds.. man that sand is brutal...............

cnr_dogs
02-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Rough looking coins but I would take a day like that anytime WTG on the great hunt. thumbsup01

RWJR13
02-03-2011, 08:37 PM
......tuff lookin' coins but they are keepers for sure....Congrats...

Nitro 54
02-04-2011, 08:43 PM
:crying02: :crying02: Your killing me KIm :envious: Nice old coins, cruddy and all thumbsup01 :grin:

JTGOLD
02-04-2011, 09:13 PM
great day at the beach,nice finds.

greg
02-06-2011, 11:44 AM
So are you going to clean them or leave them be.

Napa Steve
02-06-2011, 05:38 PM
That sure was fun buddy, you got to post your cleaned up coins and show everyone why you gave me a butt whoopin on the silver :behave:

Evan/tn
02-06-2011, 05:47 PM
that sure is a great hunt with a lot of good coin finds Kimset
Big congrats on the walker :shocked04:
Hope they all clean up well thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-07-2011, 07:03 PM
very nice hunt Kimster! thumbsup01

SeabeeRon
02-07-2011, 07:39 PM
WTG!!! :clapping: Good to see there is still SILVER to be found on our beaches out here! 8)

exsquid
02-08-2011, 12:41 PM
WOW and WOW...Great day hunting, to say the least...

When they are cleaned up you will have to post them again...

WTG!!!!