PDA

View Full Version : D2 coil and falsing

Gredge
02-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Read lots of posts about the problems with the D2 coil, before purchasing a V3i but White's seem to take care of them with no question.
When I got my V3i I did the standard test, all O.K. then boost on, again all O.K. but when I lightly touched the coil it falsed. Tried tapping it with my finger and it was going mad. Felt a bit sick, lots of money and a bad coil. Then I remenber reading about tapping the coil with a non-metalic stick. I tried that and the coil would only false with a fairly sharp tap.
I then got to thinking, maybee the V3i was picking up a static charge from my person. If I earthed myself and touched the coil I would get next to no falsing, but if I rubbed my feet on the carpet to build up a static charge the coil would false without me touching it.(Boost off)

So I thought I would post my findings incase people are testing thier coils by tapping them with a finger and getting falsing problems.

I am new to this, and only passing on what I've found. Thought it may help some.

giant056
02-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Whenever I bump into something when I'm out in the woods I'll get a little sound but it's not really what I call falsing, my MXT did the same thing with all my coils. The only coil I've got that doesn't do it is the 4x6 and I think that's cause of it's small size. If the air tests are good I wouldn't worry about it. I've been finding a lotta good stuff with the D2 coil since they came out, I swear it was made for the MXT, it just makes it rock on the deep stuff as it does on the V3i.

wingmaster
02-03-2011, 03:55 PM
I also notice with the D2 on the MXT that its alot more sensitive when you crank up the gain, which I do whenever I can.

RWJR13
02-03-2011, 05:50 PM
....Yes,,,,That coil is very sensitive...

CyberSage
02-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Getting noise when bumping the coil hard is normal. I hunt with mine right on the ground when in grassy areas. I get no noise. If I lift the coil from the ground and tap it with my toe it will false. If you can run the RX up to 15 with TX Boost on your OK. I don't care what Whites says is their current test. When the null shifts this will be your indicator. Two of my bad coils would run at RX 15 with TX boost off without overloading. They were still bad and had a noticeable loss of sensitivity and stability. I wouldn't worry about it Gredge. I think Whites officially has the bad coil issues under control now.

Jack

Gredge
02-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Hi Jack, I wasn't worried, after I did all the recognised tests I was happy that my coil was O.K. but after reading other posts of people tapping thier coils I wanted to show that just touching the coil with a finger (not tapping) could cause the coil to sound off. This could be made worse by a static charge stored in your person. Gentle tapping with a wooden stick produced no sounding, so if those people were tapping the coils with a finger and getting a sound they may believe thier coils were bad when they were not, as it was an electrical interference from a human body.
Hope I explained it better this time.

Gredge.

russellt
02-06-2011, 02:03 PM
it chirps a liitle when i bump something , if i acccidentally smack something it gives a false

fastfwd
03-25-2011, 06:00 AM
Whenever I bump into something when I'm out in the woods I'll get a little sound but it's not really what I call falsing, my MXT did the same thing with all my coils. The only coil I've got that doesn't do it is the 4x6 and I think that's cause of it's small size. If the air tests are good I wouldn't worry about it. I've been finding a lotta good stuff with the D2 coil since they came out, I swear it was made for the MXT, it just makes it rock on the deep stuff as it does on the V3i.

Yep the first d2 i got for the MXT was bad,sent it back and they sent a new one, works like a charm on the MXT

motodude
02-03-2013, 11:06 AM
I got a used D2 and would like to make sure I don't have a bad one.

How does one go about telling if they have a bad D2 coil?

I read the entire post but don't understand it. The terms tx and rx are transmit and receive in my lexicon but I don't understand the context when talking about the coil on a detector.

Any direction you could provide would be most appreciated! Thanks!

freemindstuck
02-03-2013, 12:59 PM
If you have a v3i, take your detector outside. Hold the coil waist high in the air and crank the RX up to 15 and then turn the tx boost on. If you don't get an overload signal you're fine. Of course you may get some falsing.

motodude
02-03-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I have the MXT Pro.

freemindstuck
02-03-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm guessing the procedure is the same without the tx boost.