PDA

View Full Version : Some of the Nicest Coins Ever!

M-Taliesin
02-04-2011, 02:01 AM
Howdy Folks!
I've been blessed to find a few nice old coins along the way since I started metal detecting around August 1st of 2007. And every time I find an old coin today, I think back to some of the best coins I ever got. They didn't end up under my coil, but were found in my mailbox. Yes, I've found some really great old coins, but few could compare to the ones I received from Toadman.

I remember the date was October 6th, 2008, and I opened my mailbox to find an envelope that had some weight to it. The letter had a return address in Mass, and was from Toad! While I hate to blow his rep or anything, he did me a real kindness by sending me a clutch of old coins that he'd found. There was a contest on another forum, and I entered. There were prizes offered for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. Toad put up coins for 2nd prize and I won that particular slot.

The coins he sent me were:
a large cent that appears to be 1832,
a Buffy Nickel dated 1935,
3 Indian heads dated 1905, 1896, 1864,
2 V Nickels dated 1905 and 1910!!!

At the time, I hadn't yet found a V nickel in the wild, so that was really awesome in my opinion. While Toadman might not have thought it such a big deal, it certainly was for me, and I have never forgotten that clutch of coins he sent to me, nor his generosity in sharing them with me when I was still really green in the whole detecting hobby. It imparted a real burning desire to do well in metal detecting, and gave me a real enthusiasm for old coins too.

I don't know that I ever thanked him properly enough, but he really impressed the heck out of me at the time, and it propelled me to pursue this hobby with even more vigor. And I do thank him, because I believe he has given much to many over the years without asking much in return. I know that he's shared his knowledge and experience with many others on forums and on shared hunts over the years, and had really helped folks along. As for me... Thanks Toad! You're the man!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

jkress
02-04-2011, 02:09 AM
:shocked04: that is quite the nice bunch of coins. thumbsup01

A very generous offering. :yes:

M-Taliesin
02-04-2011, 02:18 AM
:shocked04: that is quite the nice bunch of coins. thumbsup01
A very generous offering. :yes:

Howdy Pard!
Yes it is! I don't intend to embarass anybody, but it was something that really touched me as a new detectorist.
I guess you never know how you'll affect somebody by doing something like that. I learned from the experience that it pays to do nice for folks, and I've tried to do that as a part of my hobby. Whether helping somebody find a lost ring, taking time to work with somebody just getting started, or letting some kid keep a coin you just unearthed, guess you never know what impact it might have. I just know that it put a burr under my saddle, and I have always thought of that clutch of coins when I hunt and remember that somebody somewhere did something real nice for somebody like me!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

del
02-04-2011, 04:44 AM
yeah our Toadman is quite a guy :smitten: :smitten: , hey Mel your large cent is a classic head variety and would be an 1812 not 1832 .

wild willy
02-04-2011, 04:46 AM
that large cent i think is a 1812 liberty cap! i havent even found one of those yet.

M-Taliesin
02-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Howdy Folks!
My bad. I shoulda tooken a closer look!
Just that much better, and a more hearty tip of the Stetson to Rick!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

zrickkid
02-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Nice winnings.. That was a nice gesture and a real treat im sure when you opened it. :smitten:

russellt
02-04-2011, 05:27 PM
hey toad , im entering this contest and i need a few double eagles and a 5 dollar gold piece if you could , you know just help me out :clapping:

JTGOLD
02-04-2011, 07:18 PM
thoes are real nice coins Mel.

pulltabsteve
02-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Like I've told many people before, Rick is #1 in my book. Im glad to have him as a friend thumbsup01

Nitro 54
02-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Real nice M-T :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :cheering: :cheering:

odave
02-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Nice bunch of Coins from Rick and nice Post Mel :beerbuddy:

sandals
02-05-2011, 07:26 AM
Rick definitely is tops in my book too.....when I went up to visit him last year, I left with a full collection of bullets, a buckle and a small silver sandal.....a man who enjoys the hobby to the fullest and is always willing to share..... :smitten: :smitten:

this is what I got from him

M-Taliesin
02-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Rick definitely is tops in my book too..... when I went up to visit him last year, I left with a full collection of bullets, a buckle and a small silver sandal.....a man who enjoys the hobby to the fullest and is always willing to share..... :smitten: :smitten:

Howdy Sandie!
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. How many guys do that? Not too darn many, I betcha.
Rick is absolutely one of a kind. He once posted some of his finds on another forum. Guess
he focuses mostly on relic hunting (something I envy but you folks in the east got the edge
on that) and does an outstanding job of things too! As I recall, he had dozens and dozens of
photos showing one display case after another all bulging with things he'd found. That he
would part with some of those finds is really amazing but that's the sort of guy he is.

Maybe one day I can visit back east, and it would be my utmost honor to meet up and
maybe hunt with him and get some of them relics for myself, fresh from the field, using my own detector. That'd be amazing. Or, perhaps one day he will come through Colorado, and I can show him
where I find gold and silver jewelry and send him home with a few nice pieces from
the Front Range! Either way, I'd be stoked to go on a hunt with him anytime, anywhere.
He is an amazing hunter, and a really decent sort of guy.

They definately broke the mold once he left the factory!

Thanks for sharing your own experience with the Toadman.
Don't care what handle he has on this forum, he's always gonna be Toadman to me!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

coinnut
02-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Rick definitely is tops in my book too.....when I went up to visit him last year, I left with a full collection of bullets, a buckle and a small silver sandal.....a man who enjoys the hobby to the fullest and is always willing to share..... :smitten: :smitten:

this is what I got from him

Nice collection of old firepower :shocked04: A very nice and complete colonial shoe buckle :clapping: I know someone here who was dying for their first complete one lol :yes: Nice job Rick!!

DaleGM
02-05-2011, 01:14 PM
nothing better then putting your coil to the mailbox and pulling out siver <: nice collection Mel, we should get Rick to post up some of those tables of goodies of his :smitten: :smitten:

whammy
02-08-2011, 09:10 PM
It just doesn't get much better than that Mel and Sandie. The Toad strikes again with his generosity. How sweet it is.