PDA

View Full Version : gold VDI's test

Dimeman
02-05-2011, 12:25 PM
With some of my clad that I dug last year, I went out and bought some gold.
A 2 peso gold coin, a 1 gram gold bar, and a 5 gram gold bar.

I tested them as to the VDI on my 3 detectors a Whites IDX, a Whites M6 and a Garrett AT Pro.
Here are the results on the VDI.

2 peso gold coin- shows up as foil or nickel signal
IDX---5cent/pulltab/ring
M6--VDI #16 foil
AT PRO-- VDI# 50

1gram gold bar - -shows up as pulltab or ring
IDX---ring/pulltab
M6-- VDI # 37 pulltab
AT PRO-- VDI # 65

5 gram gold bar -- shows up as penny or dime
IDX--1 cent/10 cent
M6--VDI # 76 penny
AT PRO--VDI # 80

Nitro 54
02-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Nice gold Robbie :smitten: :smitten: Thanks for your test thumbsup01 thumbsup01

RaZR
02-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Soooooo... You're saying dig it all? :yes: thumbsup01

jkress
02-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Great looking gold you have there. :peace:

Interesting test results. :thinkingabout:

I really appreciate the time you take to make these tests and share the results with us. thumbsup01

Dimeman
02-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Soooooo... You're saying dig it all? :yes: thumbsup01

If you want to find gold, it can range all the way from tiny foil to a penny signal depending on the size of the gold item.

coinnut
02-05-2011, 07:37 PM
If you want to find gold, it can range all the way from tiny foil to a penny signal depending on the size of the gold item.

Yep, gold is tough on any machine. There hasn't been a machine invented that can truely tell gold from everything else...or at least whoever has one ain't talking lol

zrickkid
02-06-2011, 04:00 AM
Gold sure is sweet looking. :cheesysmile: :envious: :cheesysmile: :envious: :omg:

cliffy
02-06-2011, 04:10 AM
Interesting results... thanks. :clapping:

russellt
02-06-2011, 01:56 PM
i dont really know what gold looks like on the V , i dont find gold i just stumble apon it every once in a great while

Dimeman
02-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Yep, gold is tough on any machine. There hasn't been a machine invented that can truely tell gold from everything else...or at least whoever has one ain't talking lol

They could have a gold mine in sales, if a manufacturer ever makes a detector that could tell gold from the junk items. :drool: :drool:

coinnut
02-07-2011, 09:11 PM
They could have a gold mine in sales, if a manufacturer ever makes a detector that could tell gold from the junk items. :drool: :drool:

It would be a modern gold rush. I would think detecting would be banned forever after seeing all the holes everywhere lol

RaZR
02-12-2011, 06:49 PM
V3i sees a 1903 five rubel gold as foil/ring. VDI = 33
If you're ever detecting in the USSR. rofl

silysavg
04-26-2011, 04:17 PM

Hello Dimeman,

I have been following your interesting posts about the AT PRO. Very informative. Now that I have a V3i I am considering the AT PRO as an additional MD. It has some versatility that I am interested in ( fresh water hunting and in the rain/wet environments ).
In addition to those environments becoming moot points with such a totally waterproof detector I have read many reviews which really say many positive things about it.

In reading the manual ( page 23 and 24 ) there is one particular aspect of the AT PRO that struck my fancy. 'Notch' ELIM - see below.

The AT Pro's ELIM pushbutton can also be used to find
specific metal items. For example, if an earring has been
lost, scan the matching earring with the AT Pro while in the
ZERO mode. Note where the Target ID cursor appears when
the earring is scanned. Next, use the NOTCH DISC and ELIM
pushbuttons to switch off all the pixels except the one for the
earring.
Note: Depending upon how the lost earring is laying in the
ground, its Target ID may shift a little; therefore, your ability
to find it will be enhanced by turning on an additional pixel
on either side. The AT Pro is now programmed to find the
missing earring based on the conductivity of its matching
pair.

I am curious to hear if you tried it as described above to find a specific metallic target, for example, various size gold rings you may have that were used as a subjects for a 'notched search'?

Mike

Dimeman
04-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Hello Dimeman,

I have been following your interesting posts about the AT PRO. Very informative. Now that I have a V3i I am considering the AT PRO as an additional MD. It has some versatility that I am interested in ( fresh water hunting and in the rain/wet environments ).
In addition to those environments becoming moot points with such a totally waterproof detector I have read many reviews which really say many positive things about it.

In reading the manual ( page 23 and 24 ) there is one particular aspect of the AT PRO that struck my fancy. 'Notch' ELIM - see below.

The AT Pro's ELIM pushbutton can also be used to find
specific metal items. For example, if an earring has been
lost, scan the matching earring with the AT Pro while in the
ZERO mode. Note where the Target ID cursor appears when
the earring is scanned. Next, use the NOTCH DISC and ELIM
pushbuttons to switch off all the pixels except the one for the
earring.
Note: Depending upon how the lost earring is laying in the
ground, its Target ID may shift a little; therefore, your ability
to find it will be enhanced by turning on an additional pixel
on either side. The AT Pro is now programmed to find the
missing earring based on the conductivity of its matching
pair.

I am curious to hear if you tried it as described above to find a specific metallic target, for example, various size gold rings you may have that were used as a subjects for a 'notched search'?

Mike

I had tried the notch, on my last search at the old gun club looking for the lead bullets. Notched out everything but the lead bullet signals. I searched for 20 minutes without getting any bullets--just zinc cents and some junk. I then notched the next lower and higher sections back in, and went over where I had just scanned. I got a signal a little lower on the meter. It was a lead bullet that hit something hard and was half the length.

You can notch each individual section in by itself, or notch any one out of them to not get the signal. From iron all the way up to dollar.

On my coin VDI test --- (just for testing) I notched out the quarter section and when I passed a quarter under the coil it made no sound. If you were looking for a specific item --you could notch that section in only and it will sound off on targets in that small section and nothing else.

If you go to Dick Stouts website( he's a AD member), Stout Standards, and go to product reviews, I have a complete review of the AT Pro( all in the same area) and also down a little bit on the section, a review of the Fisher F5.