PDA

View Full Version : Confiscating Your Detector

MartinL
02-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Just what justifies someone confiscating your detector, and do you ever get it back? Anyone here actually had one confiscated? martin

Lowjiber
02-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Living near a large, Federal Recreation center (Lake Mead), I'm fully aware that the authorities are within the posted guidelines if you're discovered operating, or otherwise carrying, a metal detecting device.

I would assume that similar violations of state and/or federal laws could result in the same actions from duly authorized authorities such as the police, etc.

Regarding private citizens confiscating my equipment, there might be a problem. ;)

coinnut
02-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Just what justifies someone confiscating your detector, and do you ever get it back? Anyone here actually had one confiscated? martin

I know a guy that had his bow and gear confiscated. It required him to basically pay to get it back and agree not to hunt there. He was illegally hunting though. Probably similar circumstances. I believe you will get your gear back, but the cost may just be more than the value of the gear. I think the only actual time I ever heard of it going that far was in Gettysburg (illegal hunting for sure lol ) and that was just a story I heard, but I tend to believe that one. Justification for taking it?? I'm not sure. I guess cause they can do it and you have to fight to get it back, even if they are wrong. :bangshead02:

Ill Digger
02-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Not me . And it never will if I can help it.
I suppose it could happen on state or private land. Just like any other time that the DNR or state police was to catch a person doing something illegal on that land,, and confiscate everything you have on you at the time (i.e.; car, guns, boat, trailer, ATV, fishing pools, takle box, cooler....you name it. If your busted breaking the law they'll take everything you have as evidence. I've also heard stories of the DNR coming to your house after the fact to look for evidence of prior activity. Those are examples of cases of people poaching usually. But I'm sure the protocol would be very similar if someone was caught detecting were one wasn't suppose to.

The way I look at is ...Is a Roosevelt dime or even a gold ring worth losing all your equipment over. No ! Or worth the hassle and headache of dealing with the court system and fines for it? No !

Be careful out there. Know where you are and if you are suppose to be there. thumbsup01

MartinL
02-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Not me . And it never will if I can help it.
I suppose it could happen on state or private land. Just like any other time that the DNR or state police was to catch a person doing something illegal on that land,, and confiscate everything you have on you at the time (i.e.; car, guns, boat, trailer, ATV, fishing pools, takle box, cooler....you name it. If your busted breaking the law they'll take everything you have as evidence. I've also heard stories of the DNR coming to your house after the fact to look for evidence of prior activity. Those are examples of cases of people poaching usually. But I'm sure the protocol would be very similar if someone was caught detecting were one wasn't suppose to.

The way I look at is ...Is a Roosevelt dime or even a gold ring worth losing all your equipment over. No ! Or worth the hassle and headache of dealing with the court system and fines for it? No !

Be careful out there. Know where you are and if you are suppose to be there. thumbsup01

So I am not being THAT paranoid about NOT exploring the countryside beyond my own yard? This hobby will be really lame in a few years at this rate. martin

Epi-hunter
02-07-2011, 06:24 PM
So I am not being THAT paranoid about NOT exploring the countryside beyond my own yard? This hobby will be really lame in a few years at this rate. martin

At what rate do you mean? :confused: This hobby has been around for a long time, Martin. It isn't going to get lame anytime soon because of this.

You asked a good question and the answer is that yes, there are certain areas -- federallly protected land -- that you will need to stay away from. However that is not the norm, and it has been the case for years now, and still many people manage to find places to detect. If you are staying within your own yard out of fear of this kind of thing happening, then my suggestion to you is to do your research and be aware of where you are, and are not, allowed to detect. There should be plenty of places in your local area where you can go, and private property (if you have consent) is always a great option.

coinnut
02-07-2011, 06:24 PM

lol Yep, this hobby is different than it was in the 70's, that's for sure lol But we were talking about the worst case scenarios. This country is huge and there are plenty of good places to hunt and plenty of nice people to let you detect their property. If I could live another 100 hundred years, I would still have some nice places to hunt. Detecting changes like everything else in life. I just re-adjust where I hunt and go with the flow. :dontknow:

Ill Digger
02-07-2011, 06:30 PM
This hobby will be really lame in a few years at this rate. martin
Naa it won't be lame . There are plenty of good places to use your detector. I really like hunting old farm houses. Or places old buildings once stood. Those types of places are usually pretty trashy but are usually fairly easy to obtain permission for. Just a few ideas for you.

tanacat
02-07-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm with Ill Digger, I love the old farmhouses and if they're vacant even better! If there's not a big For Sale sign with phone # on the property, I ask neighbors if they know who owns the land and go from there. During the winter months I drive country roads & scope out places/get permission to hunt for when it get's warmer. I'm sure you see places all the time, ooooh I'd like to hunt that place....

There's always city parks ---well, at least in my city they're legal :cheesysmile:

Just what justifies someone confiscating your detector

State Parks, Natural and Historic Preserves & National Parks are off limits. You don't have to worry about confiscation if you have permission on private property.

v3ikid
02-07-2011, 09:30 PM
The best way is talk to everyone you know and ask to hunt their property. The worst that can happen is they say no. It seems like about every 3 or 4 times i get the ok to hunt a spot it leads me to someone else that they know saying hey, you can come hunt my land. I know this sounds crazy but it has worked for me several times. When talking about places i have detected with other people and they ask if i've found anything good i take out my cell phone and show them the pictures of what i have found. So far only a few have taken an intrest in the hobby to the point they talk about doing it.
Most EVERYONE shows intrest in the coins, especially when they see a coin they didn't even know existed and almost intantly the wheels start turning and they start mentioning places i can hunt. This Method has got me several acres to hunt in the last 6 months alone.
I know it's crazy and must be psycological but almost every time they say the exact same thing after they see pictures. I'll bet you could find some good stuff at this place or that place. Then i ask who owns it and from there alot of times they are more then willing to help you get the permission if they don't own it.

v3ikid
02-07-2011, 09:36 PM
You learn in this hobby to use every trick you can to get a spot to hunt and be cool about it. Stick with what works. And by all means NEVER pass up a chance to hunt a spot no matter how hard you think its been hit or how bad you think it looks. It might be the spot that pays for your detector. :clapping:

Dimeman
02-07-2011, 11:00 PM

Martin, If you are in a place that has specific rules against metal detecting, in a county, state or federal lands area, the officers have the option to tell you not to detect, give you a fine/ and or confiscate all your equipment. 99.9% of the times anyone has had an encounter with the law while detecting in a prohibited area, they have been given a verbal warning.

Do your research yourself as to where you can and can't detect in your area. If you call and ask Can I detect in such and such area?? they might be too busy to look up any laws and will tell you ..no.. even if it isn't against the rules.
Most cities and counties have websites you can look up any rules about detecting yourself. They might be under the city or the county codes or park rules and regulations.

If you become afraid to hunt anywhere but your own yard you are NOT having very much fun. :(
This hobby is supposed to be fun. :)

M-Taliesin
02-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Howdy Pard!
In general, any public land is open to metal detecting. That means school yards, playgrounds, parks, easements, city property (because you are a tax paying citizen enaged in a lawful activity).

But Federal and State lands can be real iffy. The best course, as is usually true, is to secure permission if you are unsure about their status. Simply going to the office of the U.S.Forest Service and get you plenty of information about metal detecting, where you can or cannot, and whether you might get a permit to allow you to hunt those locations. The same goes for State Parks. Every state in the union has a central office that oversees all state parks in that state. By making contact with them, they can give you all the info you need. Some state parks may require a permit. Others have no restrictions. Some will have restrictions in some areas but okay for others in the same park. BLM land is a good place to check too. BLM land is often open to mining, but you must be careful not to set foot on somebody's claim. Doing so can not only get your detector confiscated, it can get you shot! BLM can give you maps that show established claims, and you can avoid trouble by not going onto those. Others areas are open to prospecting, and if you find something with your metal detector, you can file a claim and pay the money to harvest gold or other valuable minerals or gemstones there.

I've been hunting for 3 and 1/2 years. Never had a problem, and nobody ever suggested they'd take my gear. I've met up with police officers, and never been told I couldn't hunt public property. That being said, there are jurisdictions, such as Douglas County, that do not permit any metal detecting at all without a permit. And they generally don't give permits. There is a city here called WheatRidge that supposedly will confiscate your gear if they find you detecting in their parks. However, a call to their parks department can get you a permit. If you are carrying a permit, they really can't confiscate your machine because you got permission.

Don't let fear guide your enjoyment of this hobby. There are plenty of opportunities that you can enjoy without fretting about somebody taking your gear. Rest stops are great, highway shoulder areas, picnic or roadside tables are terrific, easements in town are great.

If you become a member of your local metal detecting club, you'll not only learn where good spots to hunt are, but also receive information from other members about places to avoid. Even your local dealers should be able to tell you where to hunt, and where to avoid.

Natrually, any private land where you can get permission is beyond the problem entirely. Nobody can mess with you when you are on private land where you have gotten the land owner's permission to hunt. But I always like to get it in writing. There are permission slips you can download from various sites or you can create your own. Just ask a land owner if you can hunt their property, and if they agree, ask them to sign a slip giving you permission just so anybody else who comes along can verify you are there rightfully.

Hope you don't let the concept of confiscation deter you in your enjoyment of this hobby. Confiscation is the absolute worst case scenario, and seldom happens. You'd have to run afoul of something pretty egregiously and generally be uncooperative in the bargain. But as with most worst case scenarios, they almost never happen.
Like I'm fond of saying; The things I worry most about never happen!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

giant056
02-07-2011, 11:16 PM
My brother and I were warned by a guy that worked for the state that said we weren't supposed to be hunting state land unless it's designated for metal detecting. The crazy thing is it was way the heck back on a fire lane in the middle of a huge forest. It's an old swimming hole that's been used for ages but if we got caught by the DNR he said they'd confiscate everything that had to do with metal detecting even if the machines weren't turned on.

Napa Steve
02-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Get on your knees and beg |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) and if that don't work put on your sneakers and run like the wind

Dimeman
02-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Get on your knees and beg |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) and if that don't work put on your sneakers and run like the wind

You might be able to outrun the officer, but........I have never seen anyone outrun a bullet :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:

russellt
02-08-2011, 12:15 PM
ive never heard of anyone getting boarded.. but anything is possible