PDA

View Full Version : Christina Aguilera

M-Taliesin
02-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Howdy Folks!
I never had any opinion about Christina Aguilera one way or another until yesterday, when she totally raunched the American National Anthem. It was an embarassment of monumental proportions. Everybody in that stadium, with the exception of Christina Aguilera, knew the words. People in other nations around the world, watching the presentation by satellite, probably also noticed that she got them wrong. I'm fairly certain there were people in Nigeria turning to one another saying That's not right is it? Really, I've heard the words before and they weren't that stupid!

So focused was she on trying to stylize the anthem in her own special little way (which was awful to begin with) that she lost track of where she was lyrically.

And now I have an opinion of Christina Aguilera. That opinion is that she should never sing our national anthem again. EVER! Not even in the shower. She'd probably drown in the attempt anyhow.

Other opinions may vary, but I'm sticking with mine.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Dimeman
02-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Where is the lip-syncing when they really need it :huh::huh: :( :(

cnr_dogs
02-07-2011, 11:18 PM
As a prior US Navy member it made me sick to witness such a thrashing of the National Anthem. After this fiasco I feel the only way to handle and prevent any future errors in the performance of the greatest song ever wrote is to have a recorded version performed the way it was intended to be done ( it is the nations anthem, not the anthem of the individual performer) thus it not and shouldnt be subject to change anymore the the Declaration of Independance or the Constitution could be changed. After such recording has been made it should be distributed and played at all professional venues wth the presentation of the Colors. thus preventing any further excuses of I got wrapped up in the moment and lost my place. Sorry just my .02 for the Country I so proudly served and love.

M-Taliesin
02-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Howdy Chris!
I appreciate your service to our country, and those of all our veterans. It turns my stomach when some yahoo goes out on stage at an event seen around the world and ruins the spirit and energy of our national anthem. Quite frankly, it makes me livid with anger. That's what I got from Christina!

The recording you mentioned would be ideal if the folks singing the song were the United States Marine Corps Chorus, for example. When I was a kid, in a military academy, they came to our campus and performed. The Marine Corps band backed them up. You ain't never heard the National Anthem better than they did it for us. And every single one of those guys was singing it with the full throated pride of a Marine!

I'm gonna stop here before I go too far in expressing my displeasure at how Aguilera ruined the song at a global venue. It was a humiliation, and one I hope never to witness again. In fact, I wish I hadn't witnessed it ever.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin
02-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Where is the lip-syncing when they really need it :huh::huh: :( :(

Howdy Robbie!
That's funny right there. But considering what I witnessed on Sunday, I'm pretty sure she could
have screwed up a lip synch just as badly.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

zrickkid
02-08-2011, 01:10 AM
What a joke. Even my kids were right on it and noticed it right away. :omg: :omg: :omg: rofl rofl rofl :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I hate when these performers try to add their own little stylistic touch and just ruin the whole thing.. >:\ >:\ >:\ >:\ From now on lets let our proud American servicemen and women do the song. It would be true and from the heart. :angelic:

wingmaster
02-08-2011, 03:16 AM
At least let someone sing it that isn't payed big money as a professional singer only to get it wrong, I say let someone sing it that won't ever get a chance to sing to an audience like that ever in their life someone who isn't payed to sing. Don't people like that get enough attention already, let some girl that sings at the church have a chance they can't mess it up as bad as some of the so called professionals in the past have already.

exsquid
02-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Probably part of the problem....The self acclaimed idols probably don't do it as a service to their country, or because they carry it from the heart, but are more wrapped up into what it does for me... I agree with Mel...get the military Chorus groups to provide the Anthem....that should work everytime... thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Bubba707
02-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Let me start out by saying our National Anthem is not a song very many people can sing right. It needs real vocal range that even most professionals don't have. However, what I heard to open the Super Bowl was an atrocity even by those standards and a shameful display that just can't be excused.

ec121connie
02-08-2011, 08:26 AM
They need to let an old troop sing it. He even knew the words to the 4th verse.

MARINE STUNS A TEA PARTY WITH THE FOURTH VERSE OF THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0fQd858cRc&feature=related#ws)

psychposse
02-08-2011, 09:38 AM
I didn't see it, but I am sure hearing about it everywhere.

I am firm believer that even in the worst imaginable situations, there is something good to come out of it. In this case, while it is not a worst imaginable situation, but rather it is an annoying or offending situation to Americans..... all of the anger and irritation over the matter is contributing to a reevaluation of dedication and loyalty amongst a large group of people.

exsquid
02-08-2011, 11:57 AM
ec121connie...

Sweet video...Thanks for sharing that!!

Ill Digger
02-08-2011, 12:06 PM

MAN !! That gave me goose bumps ! :smitten:
I've never heard that before. :confused: Pretty sad :embarrassed:
Now that's what should be broadcasted to our entire country!!
I too thank you ec121connie, for posting that video. That was great !! thumbsup01 :clapping:

coinnut
02-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Wasn't there once some guy that was singing that in a mall and eventually sang it somewhere big, like a Super Bowl. I remember he was just some local guy and he did it flawlessly. I am ashamed that we allow people to change the song to showcase their talents (or lack of). This song is not supposed to be about them and how they feel it should be sung. That is what recording contracts are for. Have some humility and sing it the way it was intended to be sung. And while you are at it...try and remember the words too rofl

MartinL
02-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Roseanne says she's ready for the next Superbowl ;-) martin

russellt
02-08-2011, 02:12 PM
i dont watch halftime shows.... period..... as far as that bimbo goes, i wouldnt know who she was if my coil hit her in the rear.. :behave:

cnr_dogs
02-08-2011, 10:40 PM
That video brought tears to my eyes what a great American. God Bless you for posting it and to the gentleman who sang it. I Salute You :clapping:

jkress
02-09-2011, 12:24 AM

MARINE STUNS A TEA PARTY WITH THE FOURTH VERSE OF THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0fQd858cRc&feature=related#ws)

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thank you ec121connie. thumbsup01

RWJR13
02-09-2011, 07:31 AM
......Thats how to do it........Semper Fi......

Evan/tn
02-11-2011, 07:28 AM
That was a very cool video :clapping:

Indy!
02-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Dang Connie! That video really teared me up! Never heard that verse before. Thanks!

ec121connie
02-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the kind words about the old marine and his ability to sing a great old song.

There are many talented people out there. I often wonder why idiots get hired and skilled artists don't. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Again,

randy
02-13-2011, 07:51 AM
Too many singers try to make it about themselves, they try to make themselves bigger than the song and what it stands for. Christina wasn't the first, and won't be the last.

That's the problem, and that is what I find disgusting. Not actually knowing the words is just a symptom of that arrogance when humility is actually called for.

M-Taliesin
02-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Howdy Folks!
I have learned since commencing this thread that Christina Aguilera has performed the Anthem many times in the past and managed to get it right in the past. She has performed in many a venue and done it well. But at the Superbowl, she superblew it.

The national anthem should be performed with a certain reverence or at least solemnity, is my opinion. It represents a great country with an amazing people. It ought not be corrupted any more than the words of the Constitution of the United States or the Declaration of Independence. It is the anthem of a nation, of a people, and belongs to us all. It ain't about the ego of the performer but the sacrifce of those who fought to ensure our liberty.
The words of our anthem were forged in the fires of war. It was created in the flames of revolution, and the fight for freedom. Those words speak of the 25 hour bombardment of Fort McHenry, an American fortification defending Baltimore Harbor, through a night of seige of unimaginable pounding. Yet, when morning broke, that :usaflag: was still flying. By Dawn's Early Light, that banner still waved in triumphant defiance of tyranny. And patriots have shed their blood to keep that standard flying in defence of liberty ever since.

It ain't about what unique style of a particular vocalist. It ain't about how many superfluous florishes or vocal embellishments a singer can throw into it. It is about us. All of us. When it is performed, we all sing it together. It is our song. The anthem of the American people. And as such, deserves more than respect.
It deserves incredible awe!

Them's the berries, in my humble opinion.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin