PDA

View Full Version : Property Lines?

mike l
02-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Took the dog for a walk in the woods today and found an earthen wall which I find in many of the woods I search on Long Island. They appear to be hand dug and fairly straight, some actually have 90 degree corners :thinkingabout:. Anyone know the history of such walls, are they from the same time period as the stone boundry walls of New England? I plan on detecting this site as soon as the foot of snow melts :hairpulling:. The trees in this woods do not appear to be too old, but there are a few 100 plus year old trees standing (last pic)

del
02-11-2011, 12:14 PM
hey Mike , George and i see graded level areas all the time in the woods , sometimes there associated with very old roads or there part of a field where the farmer raised and elevated an edge of his field . are there alot of stones to make walls in that area Mike :huh: if not than your probably right they just might be boundry lines for property .

coinnut
02-11-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm leaning towards road too. You will get a better idea of it when the snow melts. Follow it and see if it leads you to any home sites. I would be detecting that road the whole way lol

russellt
02-11-2011, 01:21 PM
what you have there is a colonial army defensive position...... :shocked04:stretcher:.... unfortunatley im kidding .. swing a coil and you might get lucky pilgrim

Big Boys Hobbies
02-13-2011, 09:18 AM
I would for sure check that out more!

mike l
02-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks for your ideas all. Like I said, as soon as the snow melts I'll give it a good going over with the M6. Some old relics or coins will help to date the place. :yes:HH

Evan/tn
02-14-2011, 07:40 AM
Ill bet you can find something around those areas,i was thinking field edges too

jkress
02-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Nice post Mike, very interesting.

Winter sure makes it easy to peer into the woods and see structures, foundations and clearings. You have to give old man winter at least credit for that. :yes:

Carver
02-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Wow,,,that looks really good,,,,let us know how it turns out for ya!!