PDA

View Full Version : State/National Register of Historic Places - Privately Owned

milco
02-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Hello, does anyone have any knowledge in this area? (Dumb question, because I know someone will) I have a couple of prospective properties for hunting that are private property, but are listed on local, state or national registers. Do these listings prohibit the private owners from allowing metal detecting on their property? Does it risk their listing status if they allow MDing?
Thanks!

coinnut
02-11-2011, 05:30 PM
I just Googled it and found this:

http://www.nps.gov/nr/faq.htm#restrictions

You may have to scroll up a bit to rules , regualtions, etc... It seems they can do whatever they want to it. I would say if they let you detect it, I still wouldn't waive what you found to the government lol

dave in iowa
02-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I hunt one here in my town , the owner has no problem and i keep what i find , but if its related to the house or original family i give those things back no matter what house i detect.

milco
02-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks guys, I agree Dave, if items are related to or have value to the homeowner that way, I give them to them too.

Jeff (or)
02-12-2011, 09:48 PM
I have hunted two of them over the years, with the owners permission. No problems.