PDA

View Full Version : Coil Curling A New Winter Sport

Bell-Two
02-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Hi came home from a few errands and when I got out of the car the sun was shining, it had warmth in the air and if felt like hunting weather! I check in my yard where most of the snow is gone, my digger went into the ground with little resistance. So I grabbed my stuff went to an old school where I had found silver a couple months ago. When I pulled up wow what a difference it looked like a shot of Alaska. There were a couple of open spots so I decided I came this far I am not turning back. Hit an open spot first and turned up a clad dime. Well if I stuck to the open spots I would not really get much hunting so I took off into the snow field. I got a very good nickle signal 11-13 12-13 solid both ways and it said depth 6 inches well maybe its a keeper I thought. After clearing the icy snow off and digging inch by inch I got ...a clad nickle! While I was searching in the snow field I notice the snow had melted and refroze leaving an icy surface on it. My coil slid across it so effortlessly I thought about the Curling in the Winter Olympics and I hoped my Stone would land in the sweet spot! Well I got a memorial then it started getting dark and colder so I headed home. This was my first experience in snow hunting and my first in Coil Curling

pulltabsteve
02-11-2011, 10:34 PM
rofl Good job! Spring IS coming thumbsup01

jkress
02-12-2011, 12:50 AM
my digger went into the ground with little resistance.

Man 'o man I can't wait for that. :yes:

You never know... that nickel could have been a big fat piece of gold. You gotta try. :)

You got out... that's what counts. :peace:

Ill Digger
02-12-2011, 12:59 AM
lol I know how you feel!
I couldn't wait either about two weeks ago and went out in the snow too.
But our snow,at the time, was soft and fluffy. The snow keep sticking and building up on the coil making swing much more challenging.
But it just feels good to get out !
I'm sure you'll agree ;) lol
And hey...you didn't get skunked...win win thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

Spiderwort
02-12-2011, 09:05 AM
After all the snow the country has experienced this past month it's hard to hold back when a patch of dirt appears. Draws you to it like a magnet.

Salty Dog
02-12-2011, 09:14 AM
I would have dug that vdi also...Got to try,and you got out of the house,fresh air :beerbuddy:

Lowjiber
02-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Bell-Two...

I just added your name to the long list entitled, People who are tougher than me. thumbsup01

Bell-Two
02-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Bell-Two...

I just added your name to the long list entitled, People who are tougher than me. thumbsup01

Is that tougher....or crazier! :crazy:

Evan/tn
02-13-2011, 12:32 PM
It's a lot nicer sliding your coil over ice than getting it tangled in the weeds,but i think I'll take the weeds over ice :frozen:
Good to hear ya got out! thumbsup01

russellt
02-13-2011, 02:44 PM
hey i saw some grass.. all is not lost

giant056
02-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Spring is on its way thumbsup01

coinnut
02-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Coil curling...I like it lol They will be speaking your name for centuries to come...the man who started the winter Olympics sport of detector coil curling |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:) Glad you had a chance to get out. :clapping:

mike l
02-15-2011, 01:21 AM
Glad you got out, still too much snow here but the temps are in the 40's this week :happydance01: