PDA

View Full Version : Looking over a new site

rodbuster
02-12-2011, 06:59 PM
When I hunt a new site that has old growth trees, I make the tree bases one of the first places I look.
I hunted a park a few miles from my house several years ago, and at the base of one tree I found a
1\2 dime. At first I thought it was play money until I realized what I had found. Also check out any dirt trails or walkways
I have walked away with plenty of Indians and silver from these areas also. When I started detecting in 1972 silver was everywhere, now it takes
looking at places where maybe just was over looked by others.One of the parks I hunt at is along a river, don't forget to check out the under cut banks. There still is plenty to be found, just look for the out of the way places. :callme:

Jeff (or)
02-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Good tips, There are still many, many places to find silver. All it takes is a little research, the internet makes it so easy.

zrickkid
02-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Nice tip Rodbuster! Next weekend should be nice around these parts. Do you want to get together for a hunt? It would be nice to detect with someone other than my trusty Chow-Sheperd Sasha!

russellt
02-15-2011, 08:30 PM
yea nowadays you have to work for the unhit places

coinnut
02-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Big trees are always a :drool: for me too lol Nice tip.

Carver
02-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Big trees are great,,,,Keep an eye out for depressions in the ground where a tree once stood too. I have found a bunch of oldies in those spots too thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Dimeman
02-26-2011, 12:59 PM
yea nowadays you have to work for the unhit places

I like the spots that people tell me are all hunted out. :omg:
That is like an open invitation to dig. <}

wingmaster
02-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Yep even at old home sites trees are good places to hit because back in the day they didn't have air conditioning, so on a really hot day they would go outside under a big shade tree where they could get a breeze.