PDA

View Full Version : 1637 Pequot War museum update

del
02-13-2011, 04:07 PM
preface

well as some of you know Coinnut and i and a few others from our metal detecting club (Yankee Territory Coinshooters) have vollunteered alot of detecting time to a Museum thats dedicated to a couple of local Native American tribes . last year we detected a couple of sites , one a 1637 Indian fort site that was attacked by early english colonists (90) and their Indian allies and the other site was Porter's Rock where the english camped the night before the battle .

Update

Yesterday we both got a chance to see most of these artifacts cleaned and pictured , preserved and cateloged . there was also alot of time to talk with the Head archaeologist and his assistant , see a couple of their labs
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/Pequot%20Indian%20Museum%20hunt%20pictures/museumlab.jpg
and roll around some ideas on the past hunts and discuss future ones too.

George learned that one of his items he found last year turned out to be an actual iron musket gun rest :shocked04: , one on top in picture is Coinnut's find. congratulations George its a great find and piece of history :clapping: :cheering:
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/Pequot%20Indian%20Museum%20hunt%20pictures/pictureofgunrestsfortsite.jpg

heres a few pictures of some of the other finds we saw
iron relics from fort http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/Pequot%20Indian%20Museum%20hunt%20pictures/someironrelicsfromfortsite.jpg
and picture of the same relics for size reference
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/Pequot%20Indian%20Museum%20hunt%20pictures/pictureironitemsfortsite.jpg
actual brass kettle points bagged and cateloged
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/Pequot%20Indian%20Museum%20hunt%20pictures/baggedandcatelogedbrasspoints.jpg
same points for size reference ,Coinnut found the 2 very left ones (top and bottom)
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/Pequot%20Indian%20Museum%20hunt%20pictures/pictureofbrasspointsfortsite.jpg

we also got a fee invitation to raom the museum and have a good look around the exhibits , its a great museum dedicated to the Peqot and Mohegan indian tribes that had a huge impact on early colonial and Connecticut history.

overall the archaeologists were very pleased at they amount of items found by the few detectorists that helped out and are very appreciative . this is the first co-operative venture metal detectorists and archaeologists have done here in the state of Connecticut and both groups have gained alot of respect for the other. it has been a very positive experience all the way around George and i both hope it is more accepted throughout this country and both groups can look at each other without suspiction and contemp for the other and work more openly together.

these artifacts are still quite a while before they get introduced into part of the exhibit at the museum as theres still much work to do but i'll keep this forum up to date on the progress . Coinnut and i are continuing are vollunteer with them this year and we were also ask how we felt about helping on another early fort site and giving a metal detecting workshop to the young new intern Archaeologists that helpout from the colleges . so it looks to be another busy season but the history you get to hold in your hands is amazing and helping to rewrite history is a great feeling.after its all said and done George and i are hoping to write up and very nice story on the whole experience with lots of pictures and some group shots of the whole team of people who made it all happen.

thanks for listening .

Dan

greg
02-13-2011, 04:43 PM
That looks like a fun thing and good PR for the hobby

milco
02-13-2011, 05:00 PM
It's a great thing you guys have going there and a great effort at promoting history from two ends of the spectrum that in some cases seem to be working against each other from time to time. I would love to get involved with MDing with some local historical groups, but just have not made the time to pursue it. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures!

pulltabsteve
02-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Thats awesome Dan! Its a win - win for everybody. You guys get to detect and help out and the museum gets some new pieces. GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

angellionel
02-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Excellent job Dan and George! :clapping: What an opportunity the two of you had. The finds made are of incredible historical value. A really great job you two!

DAN03USMC
02-13-2011, 06:09 PM
That is cool stuff. Good job

coinnut
02-13-2011, 06:18 PM
It was fun to be there looking at all the stuff everyone found all restored and accessible. That is probably the last time we will ever be able to see those finds that close up lol What gets me the most about it is the fact that all previous artifacts were from the 1670's period. These are earlier artifacts and were of unknown design. A lot of firsts come from this season. But what I found the most exciting was the fact that we could actually see the hand written accounts from that time period become reality from the location of the finds. Those digs proved the accounts as very accurate from what I could tell. That was cool thumbsup01 I can't wait to start the new season :popcorn:

whammy
02-13-2011, 09:16 PM
That is just to awesome. What a ball you must have had, and then see the items on display. Congratulations on the finds and a great pr opportunity at the same time.

Evan/tn
02-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Nice to be able to piece the history of a place back together like that
Great looking early points!

russellt
02-14-2011, 10:57 PM
:peace: :peace: :clapping:.... does it get better ........ i think not

odave
02-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Excellent Post Dan and Congratulations to You and George !!!

I like the cooperation between the Archaeologist and the Detectorist
and the fact they can work and learn together !!!!

This is a win win !! Great Post thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

jkress
02-15-2011, 02:49 AM
Great opportunity you two. It's great to hear stories like this. :clapping:

You guys are offering a great service to the preservation of history. :yes:

RobW
02-15-2011, 09:06 AM
You and George along with the other who participated did a great job and have done a great job giving back to the community through the hobby.

cnr_dogs
02-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Great story and good PR for the hobby WTG guys

Cheap Thrills
02-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Nice going guys !! thumbsup01 thumbsup01 8) I could go for something like that ! :daydream: