PDA

View Full Version : How many times do you...

Evan/tn
02-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Or how often do you go back, to one of your old places to hunt knowing it's hunted out :beatdeadhorse: ...i thinks there is different levels of hunted out :grin:,but i go back to the same places over and over and over again. just like today pulling a wheat from a pounded area...I guess it's not the kill...It's the thrill of the chase :thinkingabout:

zrickkid
02-13-2011, 08:14 PM
I'll go back to places i've found good stuff before even if it has been pounded.. Soil conditions and detector capabilities change all the time. Plus that next trashy signal could be a winner that was passed over countless times by others. The finds may be a bit scarce and tough but that winner is always lurking there. :interesting:

v3ikid
02-13-2011, 08:17 PM
My first two years with the MXT I had a limited number of areas to hunt. Had no choice but to hunt them over and over and over again. First year I found 1400 coins and the second I found 1200 In the same spots. I probably wouldn't have chosen that route if I'd had a choice but i'm glad it worked out that way, it taught me alot. I promise i worked harder and longer the second year then the first. My deeper and older coins came the second year too.

Dimeman
02-13-2011, 09:01 PM
There is NO such thing as hunted out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the largest parks here has been detected since the 1970's....possibly before that. Meny detector users have searched and have found lots of targets to dig. Just last year one of our local guys dug a nice 1912 Barber quarter out of the park, in an area that many have been over thousands of times. Conditions change, better detectors are made every year, people learn different tricks to use while detecting.
You can hunt a specific area 20 different times and you will most likely get something from there, half the times you hunt it.

whammy
02-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Very often, and I always manage to find stuff. Afraid this pattern will continue until I get more nerve up to knock on more doors. lol

top pop top
02-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Hey Evan, I go to sites i've hunted to death and like you find stuff . No site is ever hunted out it's just slim pickens :grin: :grin:

JTGOLD
02-14-2011, 12:23 PM
I still hunt places that I hunted 35 years ago and still find coins,so is a place ever hunted out ? I say no !

dave in iowa
02-14-2011, 12:33 PM
I hunt maybe 100 yards in town here and most the time i find something different each time , this year i got an e-track so its back to them again .

Cheap Thrills
02-14-2011, 03:33 PM
I still hunt places that I hunted 35 years ago and still find coins,so is a place ever hunted out ? I say no !

You beat me by 16 yrs. JT . The Gophers,worms and other critters have known me on a first name basis for generations . I always find something but the good stuff gets farther and farther in between .

coinnut
02-14-2011, 03:37 PM
If we don't do our homework during the winter, we go back to the same places we have always hit lol The good news is we always find something. Moisture and a new machine (and attitude) helps a lot. Sometimes its just a matter of being more experienced than last year. I find I pay more attention to details on different hunts. Sometimes I am just going through the motions, and other times I am looking at every blade of grass lol

wingmaster
02-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Some places have been to kind to me not to go back and if its a wooded area lots change over the years so its good to go back once in a while to check what has changed. I know of one spot that has some good old coins left, theres some big trees laying on the ground I would love to swing my coil over the ground they are laying on.

Carver
02-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Oh yeah,,,always going back ,,over and over. Especially in the spring,,,after the frost turns the coins a little. I agree that no place is ever hunted out thumbsup01 thumbsup01

russellt
02-14-2011, 10:55 PM
just to mix things up. i go to my hunted out park with different coils . and hit high traffic areas. just different directions / settings etc.. dime man said it best . no place is hunted out. i disagree robbie. my yard is toasted bro rofl

odave
02-14-2011, 11:38 PM
I still find things in the park I've hunted for a couple of Years.

jkress
02-15-2011, 12:32 AM
I never write an old spot off as empty. It is nice to have standing permission to hunt privately owned properties. Many times this last season I dropped back in to give a previously hunted site another check. I was always rewarded with additional goodies.

I am purchasing a smaller coil for my new machine and plan on giving all my old spots another check... several times. :yes:

Bell-Two
02-15-2011, 12:42 AM
I have been going back to a couple of local parks that I was told were hunted out and have had good success here is link to a post about one of them.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=3877.0

Another park I went to is rather slow in giving up much anymore. When I asked some more experienced hunters in my area they all told me if you squeeze a wheatie out of it consider yourself lucky. Well one afternoon my wife and I went up to it and in about two hours she found a 1908 Barber Dime and I found three wheaties and a 1912-D Barber half! Not bad for a hunted out park!

giant056
02-15-2011, 06:23 AM
I do it all the time.

cliffy
02-17-2011, 03:38 AM
I go back over hard hit places many times, with all the different frequency's in detectors these days I will find something good by just changing freq. or detectors.
Tis a nice barber! :clapping:

cnr_dogs
02-17-2011, 07:55 AM
I will repeatedly hit the same places with varying soil conditions and coils

Lowjiber
02-17-2011, 08:12 AM
I think we often find more when we go back to an old spot because we slow down and concentrate more.

coinnut
02-17-2011, 09:09 PM
I think I go back to some sites just because they feel good lol If a site was nice to me, I just can't write it off completely, ever rofl

Ill Digger
02-18-2011, 12:10 AM
I think I go back to some sites just because they feel good lol If a site was nice to me, I just can't write it off completely, ever rofl
I'm the same way. It's like an old friend! thumbsup01

mike l
02-18-2011, 10:55 PM
I go to a site thats been hammered since the 80's and I always come home with something good. No site is hunted out :yes:

exsquid
02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Lots of great comments from everone...

I return a lot....and I too, feel like I am more able (willing lol) to take it slower and look for the deeper, better, signals...

have not been disapointed yet, and have also found silver in the hunted out spots. There are just too many square inches of dirt to search in each acre to get it all searched out... lol The good finds may get farther between but the quality remains high.... :yes:

jkress
02-24-2011, 01:03 AM
Also, another important factor when returning to places you hit before is that every piece of junk you pull out... opens that specific area up just that much more. One yard I have hit over and over always seems to give me something. Every time I pull out a big ol' piece of rusty iron, I get excited to rescan that area to potentially find something that might just have been masked by the junk item I just put in my pouch.

Great thread, very helpful. :clapping:

Vito
02-27-2011, 05:21 AM
Good and productive areas are visited periodically. You never know, and may be today you're sweeping the coil directly above the find for your lifetime. (dreams are free, aren't they?) lol

Happy hunting

Hillbilly Dave
02-27-2011, 06:10 AM
Can you really hunt out a place ? It seems like there is always one or two more items that turn up no matter how many times I go there. :dontknow:

steve in so az
03-01-2011, 11:54 AM
If you have not learned more about detecting in a year or two then somethings wrong. If you have learned more then the coins that you missed at the old places can now be dug. Hopefully :) Steve in so az

Tony Two-Cent
03-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Whenever I feel that a certain spot is REALLY hunted out I just rent a bulldozer and scrape off the top 6 of soil. You'd be amazed at the additional finds after doing that!

:twirlingeyes:

Vito
03-02-2011, 02:32 AM
Yesterday a nice place in the swiss mountains, tomorrow a waste land.

rofl

leslie(nova scotia)
03-02-2011, 09:48 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....do some spots at least 20 times a year. Nova Scotians all have holes in their pockets. This is true especially swishing spots (water areas).