PDA

View Full Version : Darn Deep Hole, Funny PP Reading, No Luck!

MartinL
02-14-2011, 04:57 PM
OK I searched out a signal in my famous circle drive(I've only worked it about 100 hours of more since last May) where I found nothing beyond 6 with the V3i, yet I do had a buried quarter at 9. Well the V3i using Jacks correlate program didn't see the quarter, so I moved to another spot, hit a very touchy signal saying 87-92, fifty cent piece which registered 8.5 on the search screen. I'd normally never search such a small signal, but I've never dug a half dollar, so I grabbed the shovel. I dug a wide hole at least 8 after just about giving up, the Pro Pointer wasn't reading anything so yet so I used the sliding nickel trick. This is one of the strange parts...the nickel trick gave me small readings all over the hole, sides were slight, bottom some better, so I put the 6x10 in the sizable hole I had dug and was able to swivel it around for increase in tone, it read 5.25 off to one quadrant of space. Out comes the shovel again, I am determined! I widened the hole on the peaky PP tone signal, dug down another 3-4 inches of bottom depth, so I am now down at least 11+. Nothing with the Pro Pointer yet, and the 6x10 coil again read the same thing, 5.25 optimal tone. I still have the big hole in my yard ;-)

What's the deal here? The Pro Pointer said I had mystery signals all over the place, marginally better on the bottom at the initial 8 dig depth, but it still would not produce any tone w/o the nickel trick even though I increased the depth by another 3 inches ans widened the hole where it wanted to say it was better. I was hitting some shale stone right about there and decided to take a break.

Conclusion: I chased a signal reported at 8.5 using the search screen, PP would not tone at all on the V3i. I dug a hole 8+, no target nor pinpoint with Pro Pointer. The V3i would mildly report a PP signal tone when put down inside the hole saying 5.25-5.5. After digging down and to the side where the V delivered 5.25, it still read the same exact thing again. Added in was that the Pro pointer with the depth extension beeped slowly on the circumference of perimeter of the hole wall, better at the bottom, but never would read anything without the sliding nickel.

Sorry for the repeat verbage, but I wanted to try and be as thorough as possible with the conditions. Maybe the handheld PP and the one on the V3i are completely non related. Thoughts:huh: martin

greg
02-14-2011, 05:09 PM
dig out that deep iron just to get rid of it lol

MartinL
02-14-2011, 05:23 PM
dig out that deep iron just to get rid of it lol

That might be, but why was the pro pointer chirping more than half way up the side walls with the sliding nickel trick? I found one of my septic tanks down about 2' last year, but it read 2 on my metal detector at the top and the Pro pointer sang well at just 3 of hole. So far I haven't changed a behavior of either the MDr or the PP after the 11+ hole expansion. It would make some better sense if I could get an improved tone with a 25% increase in hole complexion all over. At the rate I have been going, I might easily have to dig 3-4 feet, and yet it does not explain the odd behavior of the garretts PP. I really feel there's a more likely answer than just mere iron. It also makes me wonder how it woulda gotten under this layer or white shale I'll have to dig through, but mysteries are fun! You might be right. It isn't obvious yet with me though, and I did think about the deep iron, since I had the septic tank experience last year. martin

BTW, the +87-92 Vdi signal went away after digging the first 8 inches, and hasn't come back...and yet I swept the diggings with the V3i, both in search and PP. ml

midas
02-14-2011, 05:40 PM
That's a piece of rusted iron that's almost totally disintegrated! No signal in pinpoint tells you this, even though you get a good reading in disc. If there was a coin in that hole with the iron, you would get a good pinpoint signal.

CyberSage
02-14-2011, 07:06 PM
yet I do had a buried quarter at 9. Well the V3i using Jacks correlate program didn't see the quarter,

Martin,
Under moderate to light mineralization strength, that should be an easy target. As for the ghost target, you are probably dealing with deep iron. If the pin pointer was sounding then there is metal in the hole or you have the nickel slide up to close. I have to agree with Midas on the what the target is.

MartinL
02-14-2011, 07:13 PM
You all must to be correct. I just shoveled twice more after seeing 5.25 drop to 4 using the V3i PP w/6x10 inserted. The second dig after that have got me right back to 5.25, so the hole is now filled in. Lots of good exercise though. Wish I had me a back hoe;-) Probably cache chest down there from one of the gangs years ago, but it's somebody elses' as far as I am concerned.

I appreciate the support in replies. I actually did remove some iron though. There was a piece of rebar about 2' away which I gave up on back in the summer, so I extended my big hole in that direction and yanked it out. Wasn't but about 12 long, and a little rusty but in fairly decent shape. It was just too nice down here in Texas not to dig sumpthin'! martin

RWJR13
02-14-2011, 08:02 PM
....Martin....Try this ....go to a local feed store and get one of those magnets that they feed to the cows to get chewed metal out of them....they pass them, anyway...get one and stick it in and around the dirt you are detecting to see if any metal dust sticks to it....no kiddin'....works.....Troy Galloway showed me that lil' trick....

channelmaniac
02-14-2011, 08:36 PM
This won't help you any, but on my DFX if it shows something at 4.5 yet the SignaGraph bar is almost full height then it's 99+% of the time a tiny piece of metal on the top of the ground.

Not sure if the V3 or V3i have any tricks up their sleeves like that though.

RWJR13
02-15-2011, 06:18 AM
,,,...It just helps to see if he has alot of old rusted metal shavings in his yard.....How you doig RJ?