PDA

View Full Version : Old fairgrounds

Carver
02-14-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm working installing cabinets and trim in a new 4 plex apartment building in the small town near me. The 4 plex sits right on the old fairgrounds that was in use from about 1875 to roughly 1930s. Looking at old aerial photos of the spot shows right where the big oval track was and the huge infield area.
What I'm wondering is this,,,does anyone know if they actually had a midway of sorts way back then and would they have it in the infield area? Or what would that area have been used for. It is a farm field now,,,what's not covered by houses and apartments.
The guy that owns the ground told me when he bought the ground in 1977 and started to work the banked corners of the track down,,guys with detectors went around the track and found a lot of silver including many silver dollars etc. This place looks very promising as it is huge and I know there has to be a lot of old coins still there. Thanks for any replies!!

Dan

coinnut
02-14-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure, but I would cover every square inch of that place including the inside of the track. Just think of how todays technology handles iron better. You should find silver coins there for sure. I'm :drool: :drool: :drool: just thinking about that place lol

pulltabsteve
02-14-2011, 05:58 PM
DAN!!!! Stop talking and start detecting. I would be all over that!

Carver
02-14-2011, 06:10 PM
DAN!!!! Stop talking and start detecting. I would be all over that!

LOL Steve,,,,I'm drooling right now,,,,,the ground was chisel plowed last fall and it's about 2 of smeary mud right now. I'm gonna be patient,,,,I'm the only one with permission,,,but you can bet I'm gonna hammer that place this year :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01:

Carver
02-14-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure, but I would cover every square inch of that place including the inside of the track. Just think of how todays technology handles iron better. You should find silver coins there for sure. I'm :drool: :drool: :drool: just thinking about that place lol

Hey George,,,hammer it I will!!! I know there's gonna be spots with lots of fill because they leveled the track on the corners,,,but I should be able to know those spots pretty quickly. I'm gonna go over that infield with a fined toothed comb,,,,man,,, that would make a great place for a forum hunt!!!!!!!!!!

coinnut
02-14-2011, 06:34 PM
LOL Steve,,,,I'm drooling right now,,,,,the ground was chisel plowed last fall and it's about 2 of smeary mud right now. I'm gonna be patient,,,,I'm the only one with permission,,,but you can bet I'm gonna hammer that place this year :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01: :happydance01:

Are you telling me the only thing stopping you from digging that silver mine is MUD? :shocked04: :shocked04: This is me now :hairpulling: :hairpulling: :hairpulling: :hairpulling: tearing my hair out lol I thought it was frozen solid. The patience you must have lol I would not be able to sleep at night without dreaming of digging them coins. Keep us posted when you do get in there, but remember moisture adds depth and enhances the signal. :yes:

rsarge1
02-14-2011, 06:45 PM
:omg: sounds like a sweet spot hit it hard as soon as you can lol

RaZR
02-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Does the old aerial photo show where the old buildings were? I would guess alot of the activities would be near the walls of the old buildings. At least during the period where they had electricity. lol
But if it was me i'd have my waders on and a flaslight on my head and be there NOW!!!
:loveit: :envious:

Carver
02-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Does the old aerial photo show where the old buildings were? I would guess alot of the activities would be near the walls of the old buildings. At least during the period where they had electricity. lol
But if it was me i'd have my waders on and a flaslight on my head and be there NOW!!!
:loveit: :envious:

No,, the old photo does not show buildings, but I know where the grandstand stood. That spot is covered with houses now.

Carver
02-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Are you telling me the only thing stopping you from digging that silver mine is MUD? :shocked04: :shocked04: This is me now :hairpulling: :hairpulling: :hairpulling: :hairpulling: tearing my hair out lol I thought it was frozen solid. The patience you must have lol I would not be able to sleep at night without dreaming of digging them coins. Keep us posted when you do get in there, but remember moisture adds depth and enhances the signal. :yes:

LOL,,,it is pretty much frozen solid George. Just the spots where there's still snow from drifts,,the ground isn't too bad. I will wait a little while yet,,,supposed to be in the 50s for several days here plus rain on the way!

Cheap Thrills
02-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Go for it !!! Mud is good !!! thumbsup01 thumbsup01.....and remember loose lips sink ships. :lipssealed:

v3ikid
02-14-2011, 07:54 PM
I could only hope that you live close to me and desperatly need a hunting partner. lol :daydream: :envious: |:confused:) :grin:

whammy
02-14-2011, 10:01 PM
If we are ot close to you, we will travel. Anything to help a fellow tectorist. ;)

russellt
02-14-2011, 10:36 PM
go for it bro but im .......... yea look i wore that place out like a week ago.... :peace: good luck carver.... if any body deverse a honey hole its you brother thumbsup01 :rolleyes:

odave
02-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Hunt the spot My Friend You'll do well !!! Sounds like a great spot Dan !!

Evan/tn
02-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Sounds like that place could be a real gold mine!!
Keep us posted