PDA

View Full Version : Virgin site.

zrickkid
02-14-2011, 11:37 PM
As I got my annual asbestos screenings at the University where I work I had time to walk back to the place where I was to be picked up and taken back to the other side of campus by our red-car service. I took a short cut through the middle of the quad area. There in the middle of it, right about the spot where the Chicago Cubs used to play at west side ball grounds, the ground was torn up for some kind of overhead post lighting upgrade. :yes: This area was built in the late 1880s or so. On the very top of the ground I found a little 3 inch perfume bottle and a little bisque head shoulder bust of a black child. It was probably a dolls head. As I looked on very intently I saw MANY pieces of broken pottery, dishes, cups, plates, bottles, etc. My heart began to race and the wheels really started turning inside my head. I wonder how many Barber coins, Indian head pennies, Mercury dimes, Standing liberty quarters, Morgan Dollars, etc this little 30 yard square may hold? :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: This site has probably never seen a detector and the finds, besides what the ground crew initially found, are sure to be plentiful in my opinion. :dontknow: The mud was at least 2 inches deep before my weight settled me in as far as I could go.. To make a long story short with the weather what it is around here the next few days im really going to give this place at least one shot. Its tricky because this land is owned by the State of Illinois and im not sure if I even should go there. It proposes an interesting conundrum to dig or not to dig? :hairpulling: :hairpulling: :hairpulling: What do you guys think?

odave
02-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Sounds like a great opportunity !! I hope You get to Detect it thumbsup01 thumbsup01

jkress
02-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Definitely seek out permission to hunt the area. :yes:

The spot certainly sounds promising and would be worthy of the effort needed to get the go ahead.

Good luck and keep us posted.

marinedad
02-15-2011, 12:36 AM
at least get permission from contractor. good luck, find the goodies.

mike l
02-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Go in with your detector an ask who is in charge and get permision to search. Don't pass this one up :grin:

Evan/tn
02-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Better safe than sorry if it's state property :yes:
Good luck i hope you get to hunt it thumbsup01

giant056
02-15-2011, 06:17 AM
We have some really goofy rules here in Michigan for hunting on State land, they're so vague on their description of what you can and can't do on state land.

Carver
02-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Definitely get permission first,,,I'd hate to see you lose your tector and gear. Hope you get to hunt it!!!! Best of luck thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

RobW
02-15-2011, 09:16 AM
No, unless you have serious permission, and not that of the contractor, he has no authority. I'm talking written permission from the president of the university. In some states, it is a jailable offense, can have your stuff confiscated, as tempting as it is....get permission.

cnr_dogs
02-15-2011, 09:16 AM
you are on the verge of what could be the spot of a lifetime most definantly get permission if you can

Salty Dog
02-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Thats like going fishing with out a license,always looking over your shoulder to see who is watching,not worth it...seek permission from the school,may just be a great spot to play in...Hope it works out for you,Dave

russellt
02-15-2011, 06:22 PM
i work at a large southern university, i noticed today that they are digging up steam lines for repair.it is in front of a building that housed wwII pilots who where training in hellcats at ben epps airports. the 4x6 is in order here.. if anybody asks me what im doing , im locating underground utlities.. illl have the orange vest, hard hat and my V3 and my ID badge around my neck.. i do it all the time :clapping:

coinnut
02-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Google what the laws are in your state on digging. That site may just qualify for surface hunting :dontknow: which may be allowed. Use that Google thing to get a heads up first lol Sounds like that area may be a dump, so it may hold some coins after all, but a lot of junk too :hairpulling:

Napa Steve
02-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Its tough to find sites like that, hit it as much as you can, leave no pile unturned