PDA

View Full Version : Colonial hunt with Del

coinnut
12-05-2009, 05:56 PM
We went out for our usual weekend hunt but were greated by hunters everywhere. They took over our sites :mad: Who are we kidding we love 'um :smitten: But we really didn't want to get in there fun , so we moved to a site we hit many times before. Not much there, so we moved to a site Dan had that was new to us (but not someone else :rolleyes:). Relics left everywhere, but the coins were stingy. Managed a last minute copper, but in terrible shape. Oh ya, Dan only allows me to find junk coins now ;) But it counts as a copper :grin: Lots of unpictured junk too. Snow is in the air crying01

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-05-2009, 06:10 PM
hey you always manage to sniff out a copper you guys! nice day out and yup its spittin snow here too >:\

del
12-05-2009, 06:18 PM
nice last minute snag on the large cent George but you gotta stop dragging them behind the jeep to clean'em. ;) that place had alot of high vdi targets ( to bad we didn't hit that place from the get go) really decent hunt even though the weather didn't cooperate . congrats

well here's a picture of the site there was alot of junk scattered but there were some promising items showing up too. also is a picture of the relics ( noteables were a crotal bell, a regular bell a keg tap with key , a knee buckle frame and half of an older shoe buckle (1690-1720) and a sterling silver compact lid or pillbox lid) and yes the snow is comming down :mad:

Dan

Epi-hunter
12-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Those are great finds. I am green with envy. I would love to hit a site like that!

What is that red thing in the top two photos?

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-05-2009, 06:45 PM
some big targets there huh? i bet you'll sniff out a few more coppers from that site i'm sure! thumbsup01 nice stuff!

del
12-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Those are great finds. I am green with envy. I would love to hit a site like that!

What is that red thing in the top two photos?

thanks Angie i think its an old indicator light from some kind machinery ( i'm guessing from the 30's or 40's)

some big targets there huh? i bet you'll sniff out a few more coppers from that site i'm sure! thumbsup01 nice stuff!

yup i was very surprised there wasn't more coins popping up . did you go out today Dave :huh: and whay hasn't Mikey joined this forum and post that barber half he found??

Bentfork
12-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Both you guys did good! Love the bell and the compact.

angellionel
12-05-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm loving that sterling silver lid. :grin: Cool relics and coin guys. That site looks awesome!

MNDigger
12-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Great looking relics guys! Hey any idea what the bells were used for? I found this one a couple years ago and never really got an answer then what it came off of.

del
12-05-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm loving that sterling silver lid. :grin: Cool relics and coin guys. That site looks awesome!

thanks Angel i thought i had a silver half for sure , but was still very pleased it was silver

del
12-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Great looking relics guys! Hey any idea what the bells were used for? I found this one a couple years ago and never really got an answer then what it came off of.

hey Steve those type i know were household bells or use as school bells or even worn on livestock or a pet , i guess it would depend on exactly where you found it . the ones we found today were pretty close to the cellar site so were probably common house bells . but i have found a few in animal pens and even one at an old one room schoolhouse.

Dan

MNDigger
12-05-2009, 07:53 PM
This one came from a field where an old homesite sat. I am guessing it was probably a household one since it seems a little too big for cattle or a pet. Thanks for the info Dan!

coinnut
12-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Some of those bells were mounted on doors. Like Del said, household material. Even in them days, you wanted to know when someone opened your door. And scaring off evil spirits was a plus lol

sectshun8
12-06-2009, 02:29 AM
Real nice huntin' guys! :)

John M
12-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Looks like you two had another nice relic hunt.That Large cent looks like it could use a little help.Nice pair of Conestoga Bells from you guys.

That type of bell was primarily used on wagons and also horse tack.They were usually strung in an arch pattern of four to six on the wagons to alert people of it approaching.
Cool finds guys and the snow doesn't end the season.

MNDigger
12-06-2009, 09:33 AM
John thanks for the great info on the bells! Gives us another possible use for them.

OkieDigger
12-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Cool stuff guys. Keep them pictures coming, I love 'em.

del
12-06-2009, 12:21 PM
good picture and great info John and hey welcome to the forum .

coinnut
12-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Now that makes a lot of sense thumbsup01 Must have not had speed limits in them days lol It really explains why we find so many of them bells. I have at least 6 or more complete ones and lots of partials. Seeing them in quantity like that shows me why we find so many. Thanks for the picture John!!

woodwizard
12-07-2009, 12:38 AM
good hunt-I return for another look

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-07-2009, 07:54 AM
mike's been busy with school,studying,tests etc.i'm gonna spend the day up at my sites here today.gonna give that site you found your 1817 matron at in the snow another looksie.hopefully squeek something outta there :confused: