PDA

View Full Version : Different Swing Speed Whites 5900 Vs V3i Question

MartinL
02-16-2011, 05:37 PM
I decided to play with my 5900 Di Pro today while the V3i's battery charges, and I quickly found that for a buried target, even at less than 4, needed a weed whacker speed to get a reading. The 5900, while using the 950 coil, worked well with a surface coin at a reasonable slow speed, yet the coins I buried at 3-4 would only read if I did the weed whacking, so any coins at say 6-9 will mean a gold swing, assuming that depth influences swing speed with the 5900. It runs a frequency 6.59KHz, so I took the V3i, using the 6x10DD coil, and I set it to a single frequency of 7KHz, then tested the buried 3-4 coins, and it worked at way less of a swing speed compared to the 5900 with the 950 coil.

A friend once scolded me when swinging the 5900 so fast, but I know that swing speed was the methodology I'd used over the months. Sure, the buried coins aren't a true test of a MDr's ability, but you'd think that the vast difference in swing speed would not be right. What am I missing? The freq delta is only 400 KHz between the two units with the V set to 7Khz. Tia Martin

rcsnake
02-17-2011, 11:04 AM
The swing speed of the coil is not so much a function of the frequency of the machine, but more of the filter design used in the instrument for signal processing. With the older instruments it was all done in hardware and now most filtering is done in software and hence the ability to select different filters for the type of ground and the user preference on the swing speed of the coil as you call or as I call the sweep speed. I have found the that with ground that has more mineralization, it is better to slow down on the sweep speed and let the detector process the signals.

rcsnake

KYBuzzBox
02-17-2011, 04:08 PM
With the 6x10DD coil on my V3i it seems to work better the slower I work it. The D2 coil will let you work faster. But slow and steady always produces more for me. It also cuts back on some of the falsing.

MartinL
04-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Sounds like I am re-posting the original, so lets just ask a direct question. Does anyone who now has, or is now using a 5900 with the 950 coil, have to swing their coil rather fast to detect a 3+ coin target? Is the 6000 the same way? I'd just like to know if they all act like mine. martin