PDA

View Full Version : volume

DAN03USMC
02-16-2011, 07:13 PM
I just received a pair of ratphone MSA headphones (used) I was using the older green Ratphones. The MSA's are so much louder. I used to turn my Etrac up to volume limit 30, and turn my headphones down to the appropriate level for the conditions I was detecting. With the MSA's I have to turn the volume on the ET to 18-20 to get the same level (even with their volume all the way down).
Question....do you think it will be the same? By turning down the ET volume and the volume on the phones, do you think I will miss any faint targets hidden in the ET's lack of volume? Or, is volume, volume? Air testing coins in my house seems ok.
Iv'e read a lot of posts about people needing more volume. They must be as deaf as a haddock.

coinnut
02-16-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure, but I think volume is volume. :dontknow: If anything turning the volume down on the E trac may save you some battery life, although just slightly. If an ait test did ok, I would think it is all good ;)

DAN03USMC
02-17-2011, 06:45 AM
The only reason I am asking is on pg 29 of Andy's book it says to keep the explorer and or e-trac at the highest setting. :dontknow:

coinnut
02-17-2011, 11:15 AM
The only reason I am asking is on pg 29 of Andy's book it says to keep the explorer and or e-trac at the highest setting. :dontknow:

I looked at that and he is talking about the explorer, although it is probably meant for both machines. I love that book since it was the first attempt at explaining the E Trac. But I am not a fan of putting different machines in one book and bouncing back between the machines. Too confusing. It probably is a good idea to max the detector's volume, but in your case, you can not. That doesn't mean that your way of doing it isn't going to produce the same results. It probably has not been tried since every option was not available at the book's research stage and time to get the book in print was probably looming. The only way to really know is to find that whisper signal with the old headphones (and machine volume maxed out) and then try the new phones with the readjusted volume. If you or someone has a test garden, that would make it easy lol But if you are still unsure, sell the other headphones and try out some that allow you to set the volume at max. That way you are using the machine's volume to its limit.

Bell-Two
02-17-2011, 02:52 PM
I had the same thoughts about the book as well it would have been nice to have seperate sections for each machine and maybe one for people going from Explorer to the E-Trac. Maybe it's time for a pure E-Trac book?

DAN03USMC
02-17-2011, 06:20 PM
I agree with you guy's about the book. I feel it is a little choppy going back and forth on two machines. Coinnut, you made me feel a little better about it. I bought these phones as a back up, to the pair I already have. I am buying a set of pro-golds as well. I have heard good things about them.

Jack Flynn
02-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Turn the machine all the way up and let the limiter do the work. The MSA'a have a volume adjustment on each muff. I hope you saw that. I didn't know it for about a month when I got mine a year and a half ago. Turn the machine up and turn the headphones down to each ears liking. I run mine wide open but I'm deaf anyway. Just for kicks, plug in a pair of UR 30's and turn the E Trac up and run it across your yard, you'll be bleeding out of your ears in a matter of minutes. No limiter. I'll take those MSA's off your hands when you get ready too. thumbsup01 You say you need a pair of Pro Golds huh? :grin:

DAN03USMC
02-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Jack, I knew about the volume knobs on the phones. I have them turned all the way down. At 30 it is still wayyyy too loud for me. I was able to get out a little this week to try them....they sounded pretty good. I have the phones all the way down, and the E-trac set on twenty.
I got a sun ray X-5 and was using that. No good relics, or coins, but got two big square nails and a oxen shoe. i was limited to where I could dig.... too much snow still. Where there is no snow, the ground is too hard. :hairpulling: