PDA

View Full Version : Can You Save Over A Library File?

MartinL
02-16-2011, 07:40 PM
I think I lost the coin and jewelry setting in the Library file somewhere over time. Is that possible? If it is, then those files should be read-only, cuz with all of the various menus in the Expert Programs for newbies to play with, it is inevitable IMO that this will happen in the learning process for someone. Hopefully I can resurrect that without wading through the menus, and that I don't have a problem. martin

digginpa
02-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Yes, go to expert menu, click to restore, then find the program you want to restore.

MartinL
02-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Yes, go to expert menu, click to restore, then find the program you want to restore.

That did not work. I've gone to the Library, did a Restore on Coin and Jewelry, loaded it into the main programs section and I quickly found changes in the sensitivity and disc settings compared to the settings in the V3 manual, so what else in the myriad of settings might be goofed as well? This is distressing since I always read that you could always bring those core files back in virgin state...they were never lost. My question still remains, Can the Lib files be overwritten? IMO they should be read only until they get to the main program section. martin

CyberSage
02-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Martin,
You can not overwrite programs stored in the library. They are in fact read only. Here is a little bit more detailed instructions for you.

1. From the Expert Menu choose Program - Select - Coin & Jewelry
2. From The Expert Menu choose Program - New/Restore

You should see Coin & Jewelry in the Name box.

3. Press your Menu/Tab button once
4. Press your down arrow to highlight Library program and hit your enter key
5. Press your down arrow key once.
6. Use your right and left arrow key to scroll through the Library programs until you find Coin & Jewelry
7. Press your Menu/Tab button once. This should highlight Load on your screen.
8. Press the enter key and your Coin & Jewelry will be restored to the original version.

MartinL
02-17-2011, 04:17 PM
2. Fro m The Expert Menu choose Program - New/Restore

This is confusing. There's Restore/load and New/copy. Which is it? I don't currently have Coin and Jewlery in the main list.

I have concluded that you are right in not being able to over write. I tried to prove that I could on purpose after writing this, and couldn't. In my defense, I trusted the manuals for the V3 and the V3i on specific numbers, and am finding that the White's people who put together the manuals, have incorrect data in their Holy Grail, called the must read and follow manuals. The disc & AM settings in there from both the V3i and V3 manuals do not line up with the actual V3i numbers upon personal review, WHICH led one to wonder, What happened to my Library file? Anyway, that's my story and I am sticking to it! There's also other wrong information in them as well, maybe insignificant, such as some speaker volume numbers for headphones. Might be even more key errors down in the hard to find sub menus.

So much for re-reading the manuals as gospel.

digginpa
02-17-2011, 08:05 PM
It sounds to me like you are making changes in your factory program. Example, I have coin program in my library, I then select coin, then hit New/Copy and make a duplicate of my original coin program. I then rename my second coin program, I then make all the changes I want and SAVE the changes. So I end up with the original and my new coin program...What I always do tho is when I swap battery packs I do it within a few seconds I found if I remove the pack and leave it out for a few days I see some changes to my copied programs. Hope this makes sense.

CyberSage
02-18-2011, 08:30 AM
2. Fro m The Expert Menu choose Program - New/Restore

This is confusing. There's Restore/load and New/copy. Which is it? I don't currently have Coin and Jewlery in the main list.

This is a difference in firmware. Sorry about that Martin. I am still using a Vision with Version 1.1 loaded up.

MartinL
02-18-2011, 12:46 PM
This is a difference in firmware. Sorry about that Martin. I am still using a Vision with Version 1.1 loaded up.

It all makes sense. Let me ask a couple more questions about the Library. If you store a personal file in there, does it become protected too? Also, there an erase function under the Library functions. Does that mean that a factory file can be erased? I don't think I'll try and test that to find out, except maybe on a personal file stored there, if it indeed becomes equally protected like the originals. You don't need to apologize for my nit picking. I am glad to know that my factory files are all still there in tact ;-) along with the extra knowledge. You are a scholar and a gentleman! martin