PDA

View Full Version : We bought our daughter a detector

Snowy
12-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Our daughter Lexine (well, Krom's daughter, officially my step-daughter, but she's still my daughter in my eyes! :) ) tried metal detecting with us a few years ago and truely enjoyed it. We weren't really sure she'd like it so much but she's talked about it ever since.

So, with busy lives and four step children of her own, we decided it would be best to give her a Christmas present now, so she had a chance to use it. The holidays will keep her and her family busy visiting other family members, and we wanted her to have the chance to use it a little before the snow flies...

We hustled down to the coin store and grabbed the last Coinmaster they had (it was on hold for us), grabbed a coil cover and digger, wrapped it all up and went to visit.

She was VERY happy, and the Coinmaster performs really well. Krom and I were surprised.
Her first dig was 3 wheats in the same hole and within a half hour she had about 7 wheats.
There's silver there... Krom and I could SMELL it! lol
She's got some prime detecting ground there and I don't think it's ever been touched.

I snagged this video but it's dark. I tried to lighten it a bit but it's still not great. Better than not having it on video at all.

Lexine's Detector.wmv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyTjp_OvSsI#)

angellionel
12-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Nice! She is happy for sure. :) Loved the video, Donna. Thanks for sharing!

Epi-hunter
12-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Can I share the photo? I love this of you and Joe :) and your daughter!!! Thank you. Love the video! I hope she enjoys the detector :)

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/epi-hunter/LexDetectorForWeb.jpg

del
12-05-2009, 10:45 PM
hope you all have some time together to enjoy the hobby , great gift you two.

coinnut
12-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Man are you guys in trouble lol It's always the kids that find the first cache :shocked04: Before you know it she will be teaching you guys on how to detect. Great gift. It will give you and your daughter countless memories. thumbsup01

Bentfork
12-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Excellent! So you would recommend the new Coinmaster? lol

Snowy
12-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Sorry for the late replies... my laptop is crashing... had to wait for Krom to finish on his computer so I could borrow it while I fix mine.

Yes, I'd recommend it from what I've seen so far. Debated on what to buy her but after some reading, the Coinmaster is actually a Prism III without a couple of accessories like an armband, for one...

Yuppers... she's gonna be into the silver there for sure!
I guarantee it.

sectshun8
12-06-2009, 02:26 AM
thumbsup01

Glad she enjoys it, and I'm sure she will for years.

grinsebring
12-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Nice post Donna.
Hope Lexine and family enjoy it. The family that detects together stays together Merry Christmas Gil

MNDigger
12-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks for sharing that with us Donna! Her and the kids will have loads of fun!

OkieDigger
12-06-2009, 10:54 AM
It's great when the whole family can share in the fun. Thanks for the video Snowy.

marchas45
12-06-2009, 11:48 AM
lol lol lol Loved it Donna, I think you've converted the grandkids to if there yours. thumbsup01 Nice present to give your kids, awesome. thumbsup01

Snowy
12-06-2009, 12:07 PM
I suppose they'd be my step grandkids, huh? Biological or not, they're part of the family and they're great kids! (And, thanks Charlie... I never thought of myself as a grandparent until you mentioned it ... :shocked04: )

They simply LOVED this concept of digging money from the ground. Wait until they get a load of some silver coins. They all wanted to do the digging and they all wanted to do the detecting. They wanna go to the park and the beach and their yard and the neighbor's yards ... they're too funny. It felt good to see them all so happy. Choked me up.

RickO
12-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Very cool Snowy... My two daughters in Maine just do not seem to be interested in the hobby... well, neither is my daughter in NC. So, have fun, she sure seemed excited. HH RickO

Stang1968
12-11-2009, 10:03 PM
I stopped in at my local White's dealer earlier this week. He hasn't been able to keep the Coinmasters in stock! Apparently they are a very popular machine.

Snowy
12-12-2009, 05:18 AM
Yeah, Lex is definitely into detecting.... hook, line and sinker.
She's such a cool person with a heart of gold (she gets that from her Dad :yes: )

It was hard telling if she was into detecting for her dad's sake, but she's definitely into it.
She even has a coin collection she never told us about until now. It's oddball stuff, but if she's hanging onto coins from years and years ago in a can somewhere, you know she's gonna be into this. I'm glad we waited a few years before buying her a detector, but I really wish we had known sooner. She's already making plans for spring to go find someone's ring that was chucked years ago, she's scoping out places to go detecting.... yup... she's hooked.

The Coinmaster really is a good machine. It'll require another coil, though, if she wants to do wet saltwater sand. No biggie.

Jason in Enid
12-12-2009, 09:57 AM
That's really great! Enjoy this time while it's here. My daughter loved detecting with me, and I got a detector just for her. But then she became a teen and friends, phones, work, and parties all got in the way. That's just life. Enjoy the detecting time with her while it's here.

Epi-hunter
12-12-2009, 11:27 AM
I've heard that the Coinmaster is selling fast. I think someone on here ordered one a week or so ago. Will be good to hear a review :)

Snowy
12-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I can offer our experience with it for what little time we used it, but we really didn't play with it enough to give it a good run. It was dead on with the coins she found and it was good about disc out trash, I'll give it that. In my humble opinion, it's not a low end performer.... the thing's performance is worth more than its price tag, based on what I've seen anyway. Will try to offer more when we can, if we get out to some beaches this winter, if not it'll be spring.

coinnut
12-12-2009, 07:33 PM
In my humble opinion, it's not a low end performer.... the thing's performance is worth more than its price tag, based on what I've seen anyway.

I bet it was designed to be better than the price tag. It must be a direct response to the Ace 250, which many said was better than the $200.00 price for it. Companies compete like that all the time. I guess you win then lol

Snowy
12-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Yuppers... Whites tells me it's a Prism III.... I'll quote what they told me:

The Coimaster shares all of the features of the Prizm III without a locking collar on the upper rod, no arm strap and an un-printed box. Basicaly it's a prizm III. Quiet no fuss detector @ 8kHz.

Now... tell me what an 8kHz detector can do.... :yes:

woodwizard
12-13-2009, 06:33 PM
glad she's getting into MDing it's a great hobby to keep the family together -also there is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive.that sounds like a good spot giving up that many wheaties in such a short time a return trip should be arranged to rehunt it real slow its probably got more coins to surrender and that sounds like the detector to find 'em.have a safe holiday season

Snowy
12-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Woodwizard, it was in her front yard... :shocked04:
She'll have that place cleaned out before the snow is done melting! :yes:
Then she'll be moving on to her neighbor's yards.

leslie(nova scotia)
12-26-2009, 05:23 AM
From the land of the Bluenose....nice vid and I love your attitude. Thanks for posting the link to this forum on the Maine site! Have a gud un youz!

serega
12-25-2011, 05:03 PM
super video :clapping:
It's good you have a daughter and a good hobby( have daughter)
You are very good her mom.
This mom - is not to give birth. \:hammer:
Mom - it's growth and education. :yes:
It's a real mom. )

POKIE73
12-25-2011, 06:05 PM
thinking about the same model coinmaster pro for my grandson thank you you answered some of my questions he had a hard time with my ace250 says he likes the coinmaster pro better good luck to you and your daughter may you have many happy hunting days together dennis

Relicminer
12-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Great vids, and Pic!! Looks like ya have just introduced a great Hobby/Sport to a new bunch of future detectorists!!!

tanacat
01-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Glad to see you around- it's been forever! Last video I saw of yours you were shallow water detecting. Your daughter seems very happy. Hey 7 wheats is a great start!

The boy (your son) is funny -wanting to go out and detect right away... Must be pretty cold up there in Maine now? :frozen:

I have a 4 yr old son who's interested |:cheering: and I'm trying to decide what kind to get him- coinmaster w/pee-wee pole is what I'm thinking... So far he's a pro with a Garrett's pro-pointer in tot lot lol