PDA

View Full Version : Tales of a new V user

v3ikid
02-16-2011, 10:58 PM
I am using the new V3i in a place I beat pretty hard with the MXT so I have no idea of what could be left here.

Day 1: Got it out for the first time and it seemed like every program was bouncing and beeping like crazy. I wasn't digging anything just checking it out.

Day 2: Got out for a few hours in the mud. For some unknown reason it seemed to run smoother and the settings were all the same. Never had a DD coil before so pinpointing with it at tis point seems to be guesswork. Did find a penny in the driveway on top of the ground. Seems to be a lot of ghost signals still. It seems though that if i get what is a good signal and pinpoint i go to where the pp is strongest and the search that spot and it turns out to be iron.
Day 3: Another few hours. Messed with turning RX down on some programs and raising ground filters some and it seemed to quiet things down even more. Seems like pp is getting better but still have ghost holes from time to time. Haven't registered a good signal deep yet but can't wait. I did dig a quarter and a penny today. The quarter was next to trash at about 3

Lowjiber
02-17-2011, 08:06 AM
I've helped a few folks get started with the V3 and always recommend keeping things pretty simple at first. There are so darn many variables for the user to adjust that I think it's helpful to get the basic ones down first...others may disagree.

Start with a good Ground Balance. Since you're used to the MXT, this should be second-nature as GB is critical to the noisy MXT.

I recommend starting with the factory C&J program to become accustomed to getting the machine stable. Leave the filters alone for now, and concentrate on adjusting the Rx Gain and Disc Sensitivity.

Since you need to adjust both Rx and Disc Sens, here's a good rule of thumb...

Sacrifice Rx Gain for a higher Disc Sens. In other words, keep the sensitivity of the processor as high as possible and don't worry about dropping the Rx Gain down. It's a balancing act, but always give preference to Disc Sens.

Like you, I came to the Vision from the MXT world where ONE knob adjusts both Rx Gain and Disc Sens (along with VCO voltage). It seemed strange to me at first because all MXT'ers know that good stuff is found with high GAIN settings. Rx Gain on the Vision is not nearly as important as Disc Sens.

Once you've got a good GB and the Disc Sens/Rx Gain balance right, the machine should purr like a kitten. Then you can experiment with filters, etc.

(Just my $0.02)

KYBuzzBox
02-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Check your VCO setting. Make sure it is turned &quot:daydream:n. It comes from the factory turned &quot:daydream:ff. This will make pinpointing a lot easier. I agree with LJ's advice..start simple..then move on to the more challenging bits. Good luck with your new V3i. The more I use mine the better I like it.
HH...KYBuzzBox

v3ikid
02-17-2011, 07:51 PM
I think the problem was just what you said John. i focused on th RX and totally neglected the Disc Sensitivity. 8/ You would think after reading that at LEAST a thousand times i would have got that one :rolleyes:.
I took your advice to some degree, I reset the coin and jewelry mode and backed the RX down one notch and left everything else alone. It seemed to run very smooth.
I went out for about an hour after work and found two pennies, I've never been so thrilled to find a Lincoln penny.
I get a penny hit at 4 1/2 and it also picked up 2 junk signals all right together. The penny signal was solid and sounded off from all directions. I dig down and at 2 is a round aluminum cover like the ones on a plasitc chocolate milk bottle. I get down to about 4 or 5 inches and there is the penny and another piece of aluminum. How cool is that. I see how the MXT missed that, it was probably overwhelmed by the aluminum. I like the way this machine seperates the targets. That was pretty cool to find that in a mess like that. Thanks for the tips John I will try to balance the RX with the Disc Sens.

I still have a whole bunch to learn about how this machine works but i am liking it alot so far. can't wait to hit an undetected site to see what it will do. There is a whole lot of trash in my yard and i will always hunt it when time doesn't allow me to go elsewhere. This yard has deffinatly been a learning experience.

I did know to turn VCO on though, but thanks for the tip KYBuzzBox

Going from The MXT to the V and from concentric coils to the DD is a big change but i will stick with it til i get it. i think i'm really going to like this machine once i get the hang of it. Thanks to everyone here for the helpful advice, God knows i need all i can get. lol

LEROY
02-17-2011, 10:22 PM
If John said That a rooster could pull a train car I'd hook him up. ;) :yes:

russellt
02-18-2011, 09:05 PM
you will never stop adjusting your V.. at least i havent yet . ive had one for about a year..

silysavg
04-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Check your VCO setting. Make sure it is turned &quot:daydream:n. It comes from the factory turned &quot:daydream:ff. This will make pinpointing a lot easier. I agree with LJ's advice..start simple..then move on to the more challenging bits. Good luck with your new V3i. The more I use mine the better I like it.
HH...KYBuzzBox

Thanks for taking the time to be helpful KYBuzzBox.

I have only been out once with my new V3i. About 2 hours or so. I just used the C & J program after Ground Balancing and adjusted threshold and target tones - that's it. Pretty much what RaZR recommended. It is a good idea for getting used to it.
I would consider it a reasonably successful outing finding 18 coins ( newer ). However, pinpointing was just okay, not what I would call good. It took quite a bit longer to locate the target than I am used to.

Your response about the factory setting being VCO - 'Off' when it should be VCO - 'On' begs the question,
Why do you suppose the White's people shipped it out to dealers with it Off? Do you have knowledge or opinion about it?

Just curious really.

I can't wait to get out there now that my Killer B Wasp headphones arrived so I can try the VCO -'On'

Best regards,

Mike

freemindstuck
01-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Your response about the factory setting being VCO - 'Off' when it should be VCO - 'On' begs the question,
Why do you suppose the White's people shipped it out to dealers with it Off? Do you have knowledge or opinion about it?

Just curious really.

Hi Mike,
I would speculate that they ship it with VCO off because a lot of older people with hearing loss in the upper frequency ranges might have trouble using this feature. Just speculating as to their motives though.

Adrian