PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions

v3ikid
02-16-2011, 11:12 PM
On the V3i, if i have my tones in the negative range set to 0 why is it that on some negative vdi's am i getting a grunt sound? Could it be shallower trash causin this?

Question #2 In Deep silver mode where only upper Vdi numbers are set with sound and everything else set to 0 sound what would cause the VDI to show +83 with a red bar in the negative range?

Ok while i'm thinking about it, what is the trick to pinpointing successfully with the DD? I know that could be a broad range of answers but i'm just trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

midas
02-17-2011, 12:06 AM
What program are you using for grunt sounds? Even with the tones set to 0 sometimes you will get a reading on large iron. The trick is not to look at the display until you get a good sounding target, then look at the display to determine what it is. I do not use tone ID as I find it very confusing when good target is next to trash. I only use 1 tone for all targets. On a shallow up to 4 inch target, the sound and VDI will be consistent. Deep good targets, especially those mixed with iron or trash, will give a narrower good sound intermixed with the trash sound, and the VDI will vary somewhat. I run the filter at 5 band pass and use a fast recovery speed which separates the close targets much better than the factory programmed settings.
The pinpoint on the V3i DD is very precise. The target will be at the loudest PP sound in the vertical center of the coil down 2 inches from the horizontal center.

v3ikid
02-17-2011, 07:16 PM
I reset the factory programs so i will have to wait til it happens again to let you know that. Sorry i did this before i read your post, I must have had something set wrong because that seems good now.

As for question #2 That made sense. Thank you for the quick response.

Question #3 It takes awhile to get things through my head sometimes so bare with me :)
What point on the coil will be the true pinpoint on a coin? would it be dead center of the coil? Towards the front? or where the lower rod connects?

I understand that if i scan a target and the point that it pin points is off inches then it is probably big iron and scanning the edge is what is giving the good signal. Does that sound right?