PDA

View Full Version : wheats and Canadian quarter

top pop top
02-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Got out for a few hours yesterday in between the rain storms and found two wheats, 1944s, 1953s and also found my first silver Canadian quarter 1944. The V.CLICQUOT.P is a cap to a champagne bottle. Also found a live 9mm Luger and a little 925 ring. Marbles are always fun to find too.

Thanks for looking and H H

jkress
02-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Nice coinage! Wheats and silver. :happydance01:

The quarter is a nice keeper. I'd love to add one of those to my collection... just haven't been fortunate enough yet.
I am not a big fan of finding live, corroding bullets. Usually when I dig one, I make a special trip right to my truck and place it in the back. I just don't feel comfortable having one in my junk pouch for the remainder of the hunt.

Congrats on the keepers. :)

neil diggit
02-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Nice finds. :grin:

exsquid
02-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Usually when I dig one, I make a special trip right to my truck and place it in the back. I just don't feel comfortable having one in my junk pouch for the remainder of the hunt.

Nice finds, WTG!! All kind of good lookin' finds...

JKress, I am curious what you think might happen with an old pistol/rifle round that has you concerned? If it has been compromised by water it cannot go off and if it hasn't then it is not going to go off unless struck extremely hard on the primer (like when a firing pin hits it). Just curious, as I see no reason to be worried over an inanimate object...

HH

Salty Dog
02-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Congrats on the wheats and quarter,I find old live rounds all the time,I usually just put them in the nearest trash can to go to the dump,ExSquid is right it takes a good hit like a fireing pin striking to set off a new round...Nice you got it out of the ground,so another tectorist don't have to find it :yes:

SeabeeRon
02-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Very good digs!! :clapping: That silver musta sounded sweet!! happydance02

DaleGM
02-17-2011, 07:24 PM
I knew you would find your marbles someday Dave :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: :twirlingeyes: rofl been the same here in Sacramento, nice weekend coming up this weekend though.... enjoy!!!! :peace: :peace:

PL8MAN
02-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Great bunch of finds :beerbuddy:
Glen

zrickkid
02-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Awesome quarter there. Must have been nice to find. thumbsup01

odave
02-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Good finds Neighbor !!Congrats on the wheats and Silver Dave !!

Good hunt and finds Buddy thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

coinnut
02-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Nice looking quarter. I don't think I have ever found a Canadian quarter before 8/ Dimes and fish scales yes, quarters no. lol Good bunch of finds :clapping:

Nice finds, WTG!! All kind of good lookin' finds...

JKress, I am curious what you think might happen with an old pistol/rifle round that has you concerned? If it has been compromised by water it cannot go off and if it hasn't then it is not going to go off unless struck extremely hard on the primer (like when a firing pin hits it). Just curious, as I see no reason to be worried over an inanimate object...

HH

That's good to know cause I tumbled a rifle round the other day. lol Didn't even know it was in there. 8/ I also walk gingerly with them in my pouch....over cautious I guess :dontknow:

Cheap Thrills
02-17-2011, 08:46 PM
It's nice that you got out and made those nice finds Top. Nice pictures too . It's raining big time here. >:\

Napa Steve
02-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Yep this rain really puts a damper on things, good job on the oldies buddy!!, rain or shine Im hitting the beach tomorrow.

cnr_dogs
02-17-2011, 10:58 PM
good hunt sweet wheats and QTR

marinedad
02-17-2011, 11:34 PM
some nice finds there.

exsquid
02-18-2011, 09:51 AM
That's good to know cause I tumbled a rifle round the other day. lol Didn't even know it was in there. 8/ I also walk gingerly with them in my pouch....over cautious I guess :dontknow:

I would advise to not tumble live ammunition as you could get enough heat in rare instances that could detonate the primer/powder if it is still functional. Good point to raise since the issue was brought up.... HH folks...

addition... FYI - I was reminded by coinnut that you tumbler folks tend to use water in the mix so that should keep any heat down. In the reloading world we use vibrators and they can generate some heat using our dry media for cleaning brass.....

tanacat
02-18-2011, 11:34 AM
I say 'better safe then sorry'... bullets in my pouch make me nervous too :cheesysmile:

Evan/tn
02-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Those are some real nice digs,i like the quarter and wheats <:
Walking around with old bullets in your pouch isn't the best of ideas 8/

leslie(nova scotia)
02-18-2011, 05:03 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....gud scoff youz on our canuck quarter. Nice silver and selection of finds. Dun sum gud!

Carver
02-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Sweet Canadian silver!! <: <: <: <: <: <:

russellt
02-18-2011, 08:28 PM
:peace: thats a great hunt there ... congrats

giant056
02-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Great hunt and finds thumbsup01 nice score on the silver Canadian quarter!!