PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: My Latest with White's Electronics!

M-Taliesin
02-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Howdy Folks!
I had an interesting talk with Carl at White's concerning my V3i.
Mine was the very first V3 sold in the state of Colorado.
It had to be returned to Sweet Home shortly after I got it because of audio issues.
Later on, another problem caused me to send it back yet again for repair. While it was at the factory, they upgraded my machine to the V3i standard.

After I got it back, it worked pretty good, but not up to the expectations of greater depth and accuracy over other machines. But I was getting results, and bring home some gold and silver with the V3i, so I wasn't too unhappy. Then somebody suggested doing a master reset on my machine, and it hosed it up real proper. It became nothing but noise, and mostly unusable for detecting coins or other items of interest.

Anyhow, I spoke with Carl and talked about my V3i experience and he said they'd take care of my issues. I expect it will be going back to Sweet Home on Monday, and Carl assured me it would be made right. If my own machine can't be made right, they'll replace it.

I am overwhelmed with how Carl told me they'd take whatever steps necessary to satisfy my V3i expectations. Others in Colorado, like Jack and Sarge, both own V3i machines. They can run theirs much hotter than I am able, reaching gains up to 18, where I have only been able to run at maybe 4 on a good day. Even when I tried to load other programs from people getting remarkable depth, I never found anything below 4 or 5 inches.

To know that White's will take care of this particular issue, and satisfy this particular customer, is outstanding. I am really appreciative of Carl, and what he had to say over the phone. I told him I'd be sending a couple of coils to make certain the problem isn't with them, and he told me they'd take a look at them and replace them if they aren't up to standards.

My attitude about White's customer service has always been good. But what Carl told me convinced me that they are totally great.

I am looking forward to sending in my machine and when the issue is resolved, hope and expect to have a top notch machine that I can rely on to make those outstanding finds I've always enjoyed with White's detectors.

All I can say right now is, I am impressed. And I ain't easily impressed!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Dimeman
02-18-2011, 01:19 AM
Hope they can fix it up like it is supposed to work....like a top of the line detector. :yes:

del
02-18-2011, 03:41 AM
their customer service is hard to beat and they stand behind their products 100% :beerbuddy: glad everything will be straightened out Mel and let us know how it works when you get it back.

cnr_dogs
02-18-2011, 07:15 AM
glad to hear some good news with any luck you will shortly have your machime back and in top notch condition

RichK
02-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Great news Mel. I really think that you're going to get some extra special attention from those folks thumbsup01

Rich

giant056
02-18-2011, 08:07 AM
I'm glad you finally are getting it fixed Mel. I've had excellent luck tweaking and everything with my V3i, I ended up making a custom setup for relics too besides the custom setup for coin's and jewelry. If it comes back anything like mine you'll be very happy I'm sure. I don't turn my gains way up on mine that often cause the thing finds coins way down there the way I have it set. You can really crank it up if you want to though in my opinion it's really not needed. I personally run mine with the same basic settings as Magic's Program but I have different audio settings similar to the stock coin/jewelry settings.

CyberSage
02-18-2011, 08:40 AM
That's great they are taking care of you Mel. Whites has always taken care of me. I will share a little secret with you Mel. I am still running the 1.1 Version of the firmware on my Vision :grin: Mine was #17 by the way. I decided not to upgrade do to the fact it is working so well. &quot:grin:shocked04:n't fix it, if it's not broke. is a motto I really like.

Lowjiber
02-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Mel...I've always know Carl to be a straight-up guy. I'm glad to see that he's taking care of your machine.

In your pic, I see that you kept the original Vision decal. I did too. Mine is #16, but I've had the i mod installed.

KYBuzzBox
02-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Mel I am glad that white's is going to fix or replace your V3i. I hunt with a crew that have Garrett's and MXT-Pro's and I am always finding targets deeper with my V3i. As a matter of course when they get a deep whisper signal, we always run my V3i over it to confirm it. Once you get your V3i back, and it is working correctly, your MXT-Pro will become you second machine. Carl is the best and White's service is second to none.

JTGOLD
02-18-2011, 10:32 AM
that's very good news Mel,you'll have it b back in no time and finding that gold and silver again :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

russellt
02-18-2011, 08:06 PM
happydance02 sounds like your getting the homeboy hookup..........

coinnut
02-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Glad you got them to go over it with a fine tooth comb :clapping: I hope it ends well. It has such potential for a machine when working correctly. Let us know when you get it back and how well it works.

RaZR
02-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Mine was #17 by the way.
How do you tell?
Is it the last 3 digits of the serial number?

Dixie Rebel
02-18-2011, 10:20 PM
You cannot beat whites service and Carl is a good person. When you get your machine back from sweet home you know it will be right. thumbsup01

marinedad
02-22-2011, 11:44 AM
good to hear whites is taking care of you, i hope it has a happy ending.

sandals
02-22-2011, 12:25 PM
glad to hear this Mel!

Spike
02-22-2011, 04:43 PM
I do believe whites does care about customer satisfaction I have a DFX that is 4-5 years old and they treat me like I just bought it thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

MartinL
02-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Let's hope it comes back in as full health as a 1500 dollar machine should be this time. You must have spent over $50 having to send it back to Whites the last two times. CS is great if if products are fixed, and stay fixed longer than yours has been, otherwise you're simply supporting USPS/UPS/FEDEX. I am naturally negative about great customer service when it automatically costs $25+, multiple times. My opinion:huh:Whites should have replaced that unit with a new one, or offered reimbursement for the shipping those other times. I sure seem to read a lot of occurrences for V3i units having to be shipped back, and THAT is costly, good CS or not.

I am looking forward to your field tests on depth when you get it back Mel. martin

coinnut
02-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Let's hope it comes back in as full health as a 1500 dollar machine should be this time. You must have spent over $50 having to send it back to Whites the last two times. CS is great if if products are fixed, and stay fixed longer than yours has been, otherwise you're simply supporting USPS/UPS/FEDEX. I am naturally negative about great customer service when it automatically costs $25+, multiple times. My opinion:huh:Whites should have replaced that unit with a new one, or offered reimbursement for the shipping those other times. I sure seem to read a lot of occurrences for V3i units having to be shipped back, and THAT is costly, good CS or not.

I am looking forward to your field tests on depth when you get it back Mel. martin

I kinda agree with you Martin. I don't mind sending it back once, because it is a very intense piece of electronics and anything can go wrong, I guess. Twice?? Only if I really love the company lol 3x without compensation?? No way rofl Give me something, at least a certificate for some free stuff, or at least a pick up label from UPS. I would be asking that of my Minelab if it needed to go back after the first time. :yes:

odave
02-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Keep Us posted Mel !! I'll be interested what they find out .

Dick Stout
03-03-2011, 06:27 PM
White's is tops for customer service...absolutely no one better.

DS
www.stoutstandards.com (http://www.stoutstandards.com)

M-Taliesin
03-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Howdy Folks!
My V3I is in Sweet Home right now, and I got an email from Carl today telling me that there are problems with the machine. It isn't working at all right. VDI numbers are off the mark, depth isn't there, and other issues as I have complained about before. On a couple of other forums, I was told that I should consider a less sophisticated machine because I just wasn't willing to make the investment of time and energy to learn the V3i. Meanwhile, I knew it had problems, though didn't know what those problems might be.

Now I have a sense of vindication. A top White's engineer has confirmed that the machine isn't working right. It wasn't that I wasn't putting out the effort, it wasn't that I didn't learn the settings and what they do, it wasn't that I didn't bother to read the manuals for the V3 and V3i, as some stated on other forums. The problem was the machine itself.

There was one individual in particular who offered to help get the problem straightened out. Andreak77 believed me when many others, folks with long background in detecting, wanted me to believe I was simply too ignorant or lazy to learn the machine. I thank her for that.

Now I am waiting to hear what the outcome will be. Carl said he wanted to explore what specifically was wrong with my machine, but indicated a new unit might soon be coming my way. He made clear I would receive satisfaction. And for those folks, I am deply appreciative. I am waiting to hear what the final outcome will be, but am confident that very soon now, I'll have a working V3i and be made happy with my investment.

Being fair, I should add that I originally voiced concerns back in about July. Not long after a particularly insulting thread entitled Woe is me! appeared on several forums, I busted up my knee and soon after discovered the blood clot that many doctors and nurses predicted could prove terminal if it moved. My daily life became a litany of woes of a medical nature that pushed any thoughts of the V3i to the back burner as my very mortality became an issue that ensconced itself front and center on the stage of personal affairs. I figured the V3i could wait until I got straightened out and surgeryfied. Now that I've been mended, I got the V3i to White's so they could investigate the V3i and see what was happening there. It has been a long and extremely strange journey getting to this particular point in my little life.

Now that the problems have been confirmed, I find solace in knowing it refutes the Woe is Me threads on various forums better than my own attempts to acquit myself as a detectorist. I now know for certain that it wasn't me being lazy or shiftless, but an actual problem on the machine. And I feel a certain sense of vindication after being marginalized on other forums. The facts are in, and it was the machine after all. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, but knew enough to discern that something was definately wrong. Now Carl is trying to figure out precisely what went wrong, specifically. But it wasn't because I failed to make the investment of time and energy to learn the unit, as was said elsewhere. Thanks Carl, I needed that!

Now I await the final outcome, and am assured I will be made whole and be satisfied by White's Electronics. They'll take care of things, and I will be a happy camper when it is all over. Now I feel a great confidence that White's is 'on the job' and will get me squared away real soon.

So, in essence, this is a public thank you to White's Electronics; to Carl of White's Electronics, and to Andreak77, for taking my concerns seriously and working to satisfy their customer. Many thanks, and much appreciation!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin
03-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Howdy Again Folks!
I got word from Sweet Home that a replacement has been ordered for my defective V3i.
They are sending me a brand spanking new V3i to my home, scheduled to arrive on Friday
evening. Since the weather for the weekend is predicted to be excellent, I anticipate giving
that new V3i a real workout, and expect to be pleased.

By Sunday evening I expect to have good report on how that new V3i worked under hunt
conditions. And who knows, maybe I'll have some real nice finds to show off in the bargain!

Thanks to Carl at White's for his effort to satisfy this customer, thanks to Andrea who offered
her help if all else failed, and to everybody at White's who exercise considerable patience
while I fretted over my concerns with the V3i I had, and taking steps to resolve the issue.
They really are a terrific bunch of folks up there in Oregon, and I surely do appreciate their
concern for me as their customer.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

My4Kiwis
03-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Great news! Looking forward to hearing a great report.

v3ikid
03-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Glad they treated you right. Good luck with the new V. My your health hold up and you make the find of a lifetime.

M-Taliesin
03-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Howdy Folks!
The new Spectra V3i arrived yesterday right at 2:30 in the afternoon. Of course I'd been looking forward to
the arrival of my replacement unit all day and was ready to go when it got here.

It took about 30 minutes to assemble the machine, and a bit more to program the registration info, select
the 6x10 coil, turn on VCO, select Polar Plot analyze, made certain Tone I.D. was selected, and run through
a number of other settings. Oh, and of course, I had to turn on Wireless Headset and get it connected on
the V3i. I checked discrimination, gain, all metal, and decided I would leave those settings as they were
when the unit got here. Gain was set at 7, and I left it be. I believe discrimination was set at 65, but
don't quite recall. I wanted to see how it behaved without making changes to those settings.

Went to a local school and fired it up. Hunted for about 30 to 45 minutes and found the machine to
run fairly stable. My intention was to visit a number of locations but the wind came up and I hadn't
brought a jacket, and it got uncomfortable on my little Irish skin pretty quick. But the time I spent
was satisfying. Not because I was finding a whole plethora of targets, but because the machine
ran pretty darn quiet at the settings right out of the box. It wasn't falsing all over the place,
and I was getting good results. The obvious things I noticed was that it was running too hot for
the tot lot I was hunting. It picked up those U-shaped clamps that hold the fabric under the
chips down. Those were easily 6 inches down. I also was hitting on items that were beneath
the fabric, and I don't cut through fabric. Because the machine was hotter than necessary for
the location, I also got sound from metal upright posts at 8 to 12 inches distant. That will be
corrected by simply turning down the gain when hunting tot lots. And that means running with
a gain of 1 or 2. The difference being that I can run at low gain because I want to... not because
I have no other choice, as was the problem with my previous machine.

As it now stands, I believe this machine will do the job it was designed to do. It is clear from my
quick experimental hunt yesterday that I'll be able to run at a gain at or better than 7, which is
something I could never achieve with my previous unit. And I also saw that I could get good depth
with this machine that simply wasn't available to me on the other unit.

I hope to report that it has blown me away with terrific results in coming days. I also feel certain
it is going to perform as good or better than expected when I set up a tot lot program just for
hunting in that environment. There will be a great deal of experimentation with this machine to
learn how it behaves in the field, but now I have verified beyond doubt that my problems were
with the machine rather than the operator. I hope to visit with Jack up in Fort Collins to set up
his custom program in the next few weeks and spend a bit of time hunting with him.

My most heartfelt thanks go to White's Electronics and to Carl and Andrea in particular for
their willingness to help satisfy this customer. While I have only logged maybe 30 to 45 minutes
on the machine so far, my preliminary observations are really looking good. I will be starting
almost from scratch with a V3i now, particularly after such a long absence from using one.
With the exception of our Texas trip when I tried to work with the old V3i, I hadn't laid
hands on a v3i since around July when I got hurt.

Thank you Carl! You came through with flying colors and restored my faith in White's!
Thanks to White's Electronics for taking care of their customer in World Class fashion!
Thanks to Andrea who offered her help and advice.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

MartinL
03-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey Mel! I am really interested in your follow up with the new machine. Will you be able to search in places other than the wood-chipped tot lots with your knee, to get a feel about how it sees and pinpoints coins down at say 7-10? I have always counted you as about the savy-est of detectorists, and I am really looking forward to your reports. It will be interesting to hear about your comparisons when getting tone and digging at depths beyond tot lot levels since you already have the MXT to maybe do a side-by-side comparison in real time. I am happy that you got the full, new replacement. It has been a long time coming. martin