PDA

View Full Version : A desperate man's hunt in MA

RobW
02-18-2011, 04:30 PM
I've been going back and forth with George about getting out and going detecting at a beach, but apparently he's a detector snob now and will not hunt with anything other than his E-Trac now...... lol

So I've been fittin to get out and dig SOMETHING...so I made the worst investment in metal detecting I've ever done...but I enjoyed myself and had a good time...even if it was by myself...

Thursday I decided to drive to the beach to go detecting...I spent $30 in gas, $5.40 in tolls, and a$7 entry feetotal $42.40 (plus the day off work). I drove the 266miles round trip.

It was a beautiful day. I had never been to this beach before (Crane's Beach in Ipswich, MA). When I got there, there was no one there, I had 2 choice of which was to go..I went right (apparently that was not Right). I found hardly a thing. Then as the day progressed, I watched how and where people were using the beach...yes, the beach actually became crowded, in February, in Massachusetts, with snow on the ground and icebergs in the water....WE'RE YANKEES (I can't believe I said that, my grandmother just rolled over in her grave) People were out with their dogs and HORSES...never seen that before. I then went to the areas I was seeing the people actually using, then I started making my finds. Nothing special, just clad...total $1.95...and a very odd shell (it broke in my pouch).....bad investment of money, but a good investment of time. I called my wife on my way back, she said she hadn't heard me that relaxed in months....oh wait, I haven't detected in months!

angellionel
02-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Sweet! :peace: That beach looks awesome! It must be great to detect at low tide there. It's the first of many trips I'm guessing. :cheesysmile:

leslie(nova scotia)
02-18-2011, 04:50 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....good acccouint in writing and photos of your day. Youz gut out me son and that is what it is all about. Imagine that fresh sea air cleared the soul!

exsquid
02-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Sounds like fun....

I love the beach and the smell of the ocean....make this old squid sort of homesick when I smell that salt air... lol

I would have made the trip with you. Never turn down a trip to the water for MDing... :yes:

zrickkid
02-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Looks like a nice beach. I wish I was there. thumbsup01

Kimster
02-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Welcome to the world of metal detecting, and don't ever stop to calculate how much it cost you to find that 15 cents. Just keep truckin' and enjoying the outdoors. The gold days will pay for some of that expense. But no one can put a value on how great it feels to pull something really cool out of the ground. When my detecting partner finds gold, he buries it again just so he can try to duplicate that feeling again...no that's true dedication to the sport!... lol

coinnut
02-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Now you know why I didn't want to go with you :rolleyes: I'm not a detecting snob, you are just bad luck rofl :tongue: What machine did you use...never mind 8/ At least you got out, and next time turn left lol I had that same luck at a cellar hole when I turned right and he turned left. I got a button, he got a 1795 Liberty Capped Half Cent :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04:....the result? :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: Still must have been nice to see the beach Rob thumbsup01

russellt
02-18-2011, 08:35 PM
desperation is a horrible and trying thing. kind of wish i had an E-trac to be snobby about :girlcry:.......................... :peace:

Evan/tn
02-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Looks like a nice beach
Good to bear your getting out all ready

jkress
02-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Sounds like it was worth the $$ to me. :yes: Getting out detecting by the water and clearing your head... priceless.

Glad to hear you got out. :)

giant056
02-19-2011, 08:47 AM
That definitely looks like a good spot to hunt and it sounds like you had a great time thumbsup01

Salty Dog
02-19-2011, 12:51 PM
I can really relate to the cost of long distance metal detecting,I went from central Ohio to central Michigan to tect an old boyscout camp,spent two -nights in motels and countless hours searching for diddly-squat,spent close to $500.00 on that trip...No regrets though,I got to see a different part of the country,I relate it to Fishing,If i had to fiqure the cost of my walleye,they would cost $60.00 a pound, :thinkingabout: :yes:,Hey you did better than i ever have at the beaches :beerbuddy:

SeabeeRon
02-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Nothing like a Day at the Beach!! 8) To me, it was money well spent!! :yes:

pulltabsteve
02-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Nice looking beach! Relaxing and fun...cant beat that thumbsup01

odave
02-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Great looking beach !! Glad you had a good time thumbsup01