02-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Forgive me but, what is the advantage of having the VCO turned on? :confused:
Need more info to understand this setting, ON or Off :shocked04:stretcher:

rsarge1
02-19-2011, 09:03 PM
it is a lot easier and helps when pin pointing your target

CyberSage
02-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Here is one of the best explanations I have found...

http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/pinpointing_targets.shtml

Lowjiber
02-20-2011, 11:29 AM
As mentioned in the link that Cybersage provided, some detectors (MXT for example) are set up to raise the VCO voltage when increasing Rx Gain and Disc Sensitivity...one knob does all three. That can result in uncomfortably high headset volume over shallow targets.

The nice thing about the Vision is that you can set everything independently. In other words, figure out a nice VCO setting and forget it.

BTW: Some high-end headsets have a limiter switch that can be activated when hitting shallow targets. Very handy.

M-Taliesin
02-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Howdy Amigo!
The simple explanation is, the VCO will allow for your audio response to be sharper and louder as the center of your coil crosses over the target. When pin pointing with your machine, you just gotta have that in order to center your coil precisely over the target. Without VCO turned on, you get a big honking signal, know there is a target there, but not precisely enough to extract the target.

Hope that cuts the mustard!
Glad you decided to hitch up here on this forum!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin
02-20-2011, 11:35 AM
That can result in uncomfortably high headset volume over shallow targets.

The nice thing about the Vision is that you can set everything independently. In other words, figure out a nice VCO setting and forget it.

Howdy Pard!
I hope you won't be annoyed with this correction, but the VCO hasn't anything to do with volume.
The VCO setting on a V3/V3i is either VCO ON / VCO OFF. On an MXT, the VCO is always on and isn't settable.

VCO is used only to give an audio response as you near the target, with the sharpest report being when
the center of the coil passes directly over the target. This is most useful in pinpointing.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Three Ringer
02-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Carl from White's is writing a V3i Advanced User's Guide. He has posted 7 chapters so far. In chapter 5 Audio Basics he writes:
Tip: The human ear is more sensitive to changes in pitch than to changes in loudness. Therefore, deep targets that produce only a very slight all-metal signal will be easier to discern using VCO audio. However, some people just don't like VCO or have hearing problems so the option is provided

Hope this helps!
Three Ringer

rsarge1
02-20-2011, 01:08 PM
wow great site jack I learn something every day thanks good explanation for pin pointing

Trigem
02-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks everyone <:

This is a real learning experience :frozen:

CyberSage
02-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Howdy Pard!
I hope you won't be annoyed with this correction, but the VCO hasn't anything to do with volume.
The VCO setting on a V3/V3i is either VCO ON / VCO OFF. On an MXT, the VCO is always on and isn't settable.

Mel,
Lowjiber is referring to the response of a shallow target to an over zealous AM setting. What he is saying is that on the MXT this is not an independent setting. On the V3/V3i we have an independant adjustment that affects VCO response. This being the AM in the sensitivity settings. Lowjiber sleeps with his MXT and V3i. lol ...Not on the same nights of course. lol He knows his stuff.

Jack

P.S. My ground is almost thawed out! Let's go hunt'in Mel.

rsarge1
02-21-2011, 10:43 PM
rofl rofl rofl rofl

M-Taliesin
02-22-2011, 09:51 AM
P.S. My ground is almost thawed out! Let's go hunt'in Mel.

Howdy Jack!
The ground here is already pretty thawed, so I am perplexed why yours ain't yet.
Then again, 60 miles can make a huge difference. i.e.: we can get a foot of snow
here and you get nothing, or you'll get pounded and we get nothing. Odd how that
works out.

Anyway, as for hunting, I ain't healed enough yet to kneel on ground. Give me another
couple or three weeks, and I should be right as rain, and ready to dig into good ground.
Besides that, I'll have my V3i back from White's, all fixed or replaced and ready to rock!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

cobill
02-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Jack & Mel, let me know when you're going to take the V3's out and I'd like to join you guys and hunt with the experts! :peace:

Bill

CyberSage
02-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Hey! Good to hear from You Bill. There is a lot of snow out there now, but next week will be warm. Looking forward to a hunt.

Jack

M-Taliesin
03-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Howdy Guys!
For me to get out with my V3i, I'll need to wait for it to return from Sweet Home. That's where it is now, so I will be ready in about a week or so. Meanwhile, we have snow on the way for Monday or Tuesday. But this weekend should be shpadoinkle. However, that being said, I'm limited to my MXT Pro until further developments.

Jack, when I do get the V3i back, I'd still like to visit with you and tweak it up with your custom program. I'd also like to try those parks you been hunting, assuming I can kneel on the ground by that time.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Lowjiber
03-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Lowjiber sleeps with his MXT and V3i. lol ...Not on the same nights of course. lol

As Bugs Bunny used to say, I resemble that remark. lol

russellt
03-04-2011, 07:37 PM
i like vco - on- and tone ID.. helps get the deep ones . sometimes i get a jumping vdi , but the tone ID nails it .. but thats just what ive been focusing on .