PDA

View Full Version : Raffle/Contest

Epi-hunter
12-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Before officially launching this I would like to get an indication if enough people are interested in participating to make it worthwhile. :)

Now that the snow is flying (in some parts of the country, anyway) perhaps people might be looking for some other hobby-related activities. We have been talking about ways to keep people active here and in the hobby, as well as ways to expand upon this site. We would like to propose the following.

Interested members would write an article or story related to metal detecting, and submit it to us. Those who submit a story would be entered into a raffle. The incentives will be nice... the top prize will be a $200 gift certificate to either Sun Ray accessories or KellyCo, winning member's choice. There will be other prizes too... depending on how many participants we have.... which will include some Minelab and Garrett merchandise (hats, keychains, water bottles, etc but also including a new Minelab insulated outdoor vest) and also some apparel from the store with the American Detectorist logo. Everyone who submitted an article or story would have an equal chance of winning the prizes.... draw names out of a hat style.

The stories/articles would become ours to use and edit as necessary, and may appear in our newsletters (coming soon) or on the forum or elsewhere on the site... with full credit to the author of course. You do not have to be a writer.... stories will not be judged. The only requirement is that the story or article be original, be written by the member, be directly related to metal detecting, and be fairly detailed. The topic could be something that the author in particular is well versed on... how to approach detecting in a particular setting, for example. Or it can be a detailed story about a specific detecting experience the member has had. Or anything else that the members feels he/she can write about. The timeline would probably be within the next three to four weeks.

So what does everything think... any interest in this? Please only indicate interest if you think you may participate.

BTW, all members are eligible (except Angel and I). Forum moderators and mentors aren't involved in planning this and are therefore eligible.

Lowjiber
12-06-2009, 07:22 PM
I'll try to craft something.

My window is pretty narrow this month...We're going to be in Vegas next week and leaving for a long trip to the eastern US on the 17th. I'll find some time and forward it to you.

Good idea...kinda sounds like fun.

Epi-hunter
12-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks John... maybe the turn around time should be longer. Given the proximity to the holiday especially :)

Snowy
12-06-2009, 08:09 PM
I might be able to muster something up. Depends on my brain function over the next few weeks. lol

del
12-06-2009, 08:25 PM
sounds like a very cool idea Angie ,would you accept pictures if possible to be incorporated in the story and would we have to blurr out the faces of the guilty to protect the innocent :twirlingeyes:.

coinnut
12-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Sounds good, count me in. Does this mean I have to think?? :confused:

Epi-hunter
12-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Yes George you have to think, at least during that time block lol lol

Thanks Dan for reminding me... photos would be very welcome and encouraged :)

Stang1968
12-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Can it be a work of fiction? ;)

Epi-hunter
12-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Can it be a work of fiction? ;)

Depends on the topic lol

Epi-hunter
12-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Come on guys... just five potentials? No one else wants to be a writer? ;) lol

Jason in Enid
12-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Maybe I could submit chapters of the book I'm finalizing.

I sure hope one of those 5 is Angel giving his secrets for performing a Vulcan mind-meld with an E-Trac.

Epi-hunter
12-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Maybe I could submit chapters of the book I'm finalizing.

I sure hope one of those 5 is Angel giving his secrets for performing a Vulcan mind-meld with an E-Trac.

You're writing a book? I'm impressed :) That's something I have always wanted to do, but I can't get it off the ground :)

I told Angel I wanted to raffle off a guided detecting trip with him, and his eyes got all wide :shocked04: :shocked04: rofl

RickO
12-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Great idea... I would participate if after the New Year... RickO

SpringTxDigger
12-20-2009, 09:47 PM
You're writing a book? I'm impressed :) That's something I have always wanted to do, but I can't get it off the ground :)

I told Angel I wanted to raffle off a guided detecting trip with him, and his eyes got all wide :shocked04: :shocked04: rofl

I think the detecting trip with Angel would be great! I still think he needs to write a book. I might be able to submit an article. Keep us posted. And thanks for a great Forum!

leslie(nova scotia)
12-26-2009, 05:26 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....sounds great. Love writing aboutthe hobby almost as much as swinging itself. Gearing up now to do my yearly Woodie Diggit post so if th contest is open by the time I finish I'll submit it.