PDA

View Full Version : The Holy coin

Civil War Nut
02-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Hidy to all and hope all are well. All the older foks talk about a place down at the river bottom around here called Roach Hill. They say the soldiers camped there in the Civil War. Well I have been looking for this hill for a year , today I found Roach Hill. Didnt get to hunt long , got there late. And one BIG hill, about 250 acreas. According to the date on the half dime , and the lead ,, Maybe they might have been there. And know thanks to who ever put the hole in the coin, just my luck, cant find nothing, and when I do somebodys got to stick a cotton picking hole in it. Going back tomorrow, so I could use some good lucks from yall. So this is it for today,, 2 bullets,, 1840 half dime,, and the little whatever. And thats all. H.H. and good luck to all.

jkress
02-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Great story. I hope you are on to Roach Hill. :yes:
The half dime looks like it was victim to a square nail. I think someone on this site mentioned it was a common practice to attach them to your home, for one reason or another, back in the day. :confused: Could be wrong though.
Best of luck from Iowa on your quest!! :yes:

Hillbilly Dave
02-21-2011, 01:54 AM
Very interesting story and finds. Good luck, I hope you find so much that you need a couple of friends from Ky to come help you find it all. LOL.

Cheap Thrills
02-21-2011, 02:25 AM
Good luck on your return to the hill . Man, that's just plain mean what was done to that coin . :( Heck of a conversation piece though .Hope you find a nice Seated to make up for that one . I have a feeling you're going to do well there . thumbsup01

Civil War Nut
02-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Very interesting story and finds. Good luck, I hope you find so much that you need a couple of friends from Ky to come help you find it all. LOL.
Hidy HD. I dont mine a bit. In hunting at Moscow, Ky. Fort Himen, Ky. 30+ years ago, and others in Ky, knowone has every said no to me , cant say that around here. There excuse was,, if I found something I would want to keep it. And after all the stuff I have gave out that I have found, that didnt sound to good to me. But there are some GOOD people in Ky. never been turned down up there. I bet they dont even put holes in there cions up there ha. H.H. and good luck.

Full Metal Digger
02-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Too bad about the half dime, but at least they left you the date. With a hole that big, I wonder if it was made into a washer?

Evan/tn
02-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Silver is silver and seated is seated :peace: and that my friend is a a seated!! Yep some camps can stretch out for a long way, I hope you find the center of camp where they were reissuing buckles and buttons :omg: :callme:
Another great hunt Earl thumbsup01

coinnut
02-21-2011, 05:42 PM
When I read you said they put a hole in it I thought No big deal they always put a small hole up top to keep them on a string. When I saw the picture I said :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: That is a monster hole :ticked: Never seen one like that. Glad you found some silver but that smarts :hairpulling: Even if it isn't the hill you were looking for there is some good activity there, and worth some more hunting. Wishing you some good old fasioned colonial luck we have from up here thumbsup01

giant056
02-22-2011, 04:22 AM
Now that's a big hole in that old seated, it's still silver thumbsup01

Carver
02-22-2011, 08:19 AM
OUCH on the half dime!! Still a great find!!! I'd take it any ole day!!!!

tanacat
02-22-2011, 11:16 AM
:beerbuddy: Good going on the dime- if only it could tell you its past :)

del
02-22-2011, 04:01 PM
hey CWN congrats on finnally locating the spot , from the looks of it you'll probably have an area that produces for some time . its too bad about the seated coin and its a very unusual large hole , i've heard of people back then considered it good luck to have a holed coin on their person maybe this person was wanting alot of it before going into battle . a very interesting find and congrats again on the relics.

Dan

zrickkid
03-05-2011, 12:23 AM
A lot of times when homes were built the new owners would nail a coin into the framing of the house to signify the year it was built and for good luck. This is a similar story to the coin found in the old schooner that was unearthed at the Ground Zero site in New York. Maybe this is the reason for the hole but to be certain no one will ever know. :interesting:

Ill Digger
03-05-2011, 12:56 AM
crying01 crying01 That poor ol' half dime :crying02: Thats a little overkill if you ask me :rolleyes:
It's still a killer find!! Like DD said At least they left you the date! lol
Cool relic finds!
Congrats :grin:

mike l
03-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Looks like someone made a washer out of it. Nice find!

RobW
03-07-2011, 11:48 AM
That sucks, but at the same time it's still a great find!