PDA

View Full Version : Just out of curosity..

Jeff (or)
02-21-2011, 03:43 AM
I was wondering how many members here are having a hard time finding silver coins and/or wish they could find more? There are a lot of great people here that may be able to give some thoughts, hints, tips etc, that can help.

del
02-21-2011, 03:58 AM
wow Jeff your quite the night owl posting this late :sleepy: you a 3rd shifter too :dontknow:

the sites i usually detect are very old colonial sites and silver was a pretty rare thing to have back then but you do find it from time to time but the very old stuff is almost always spanish silver coins .

ec121connie
02-21-2011, 07:52 AM
I was wondering how many members here are having a hard time finding silver coins and/or wish they could find more? There are a lot of great people here that may be able to give some thoughts, hints, tips etc, that can help.

I'm relatively new to this hobby. Been at it for about six months now and have only found one silver coin. I have found quite a few silver rings, bracelets, watches and other stuff along with a fair amount of gold from time to time. Not doing bad on the Wheat Pennies either.

There are many detector folks in this town, huge club locally, so the parks and schools really get a workout. It's not for a lack of trying and the equipment is up to the task. I think it is just a case of the coil hasn't passed over any of those elusive coins yet.

BTW, if you have a jar full of pennies laying around here is a great idea for putting them to use on these cold winter nights.

Quite a few pages of examples are here ...
http://www.fincher.org/Misc/Pennies/

http://www.fincher.org/Misc/Pennies/Misc/2011-01-03-PierreLanimal1.jpg

wingmaster
02-21-2011, 10:28 AM
I always wish I could find more and I'm pretty sure everyone does but I can't really complain to much. I do have some high hopes for an old place I've yet to detect though, just waiting for some nice weather. I had to pass on this place last year because it was so dry here and I didn't want to dig the yard it that condition, This old house is from 1855 so it should have some nice old coins there.

JTGOLD
02-21-2011, 12:44 PM
just being in the right place at the right time and getting your coil over it,at least thats how I see it.

mike l
02-21-2011, 01:29 PM
There is plenty of silver out there, the key is to do some research of your area and try to find some spots that have not been hit yet. Even places that have seen many detectorist can still produce silver if you take your time and give it a good going over. I hit a spot before the snow came in that is one of the most over hunted areas in my hometown and pulled out two silver Rosies! Good luck and can't wait to see your silver :beerbuddy:

Carver
02-21-2011, 04:17 PM
It's like JT said,,,gotta put your coil over it,,,,I think there are plenty of silver coins left,,,you just have to find the right spot,,,research helps greatly. The place I hit Sunday was a last minute thing, ( Look in the Coinshooting stories section) ,,I asked permission figuring it had been hunted a bunch since it is right along a well traveled road,,,,,I found 12 wheats and 5 silver dimes and I have a bunch of ground to cover yet! <: <: <:

coinnut
02-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Private houses give you the easiest chances of success. They may hunted lightly or not at all. Next are areas that don't seem to be a good spot. Like that very woodsy area just next to the main park everyone has been hammering to death lol I had an amusement park that I had done for 30+ years and it was dry for finds. Just across the street was a hilly, rocky small mountainous area. I later found out it was the original picnic area started around 1894 and petered out around 1912ish or so. All seated, barber, Indian and V territory. It comes down to taking chances and not ruling out any area as bad. If you want to do the pounded parks, prepare to really get to know your machine to the fullest, because sometimes that can be the difference.

odave
02-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Yep ! Private old homes You'll have a good shot at finding Silver !
also trying to find some place that nobody has hunted..that's hard.

tanacat
02-22-2011, 02:41 PM
I didn't find any silver until I upgraded to a White's XLT... or maybe I just wasn't hunting in the right places :-\ not to knock the Prism IV or anything :cheesysmile: personal experience

Like coinnut said... I've found all of my silver coins at private houses. Except for one 1949 quarter (my first silver) I found in a tot lot of city park est in 1970!

Dimeman
02-22-2011, 11:52 PM
There are lots of park areas that have been used since the 1930's real close to where I live. Any location that had people using the ground before 1964 has a good chance of holding lost coins. Private homes, park areas,swimming holes, even pathways can have lost jewelry and coins.
I have about 15 city maps from the years 1939 up to 2000. You would be suprised how much has changed, in all those years.

tanacat
02-23-2011, 11:33 AM
I have about 15 city maps from the years 1939 up to 2000. You would be suprised how much has changed, in all those years.

I keep meaning to get me some maps- where'd you get yours Robbie?

Dimeman
02-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I keep meaning to get me some maps- where'd you get yours Robbie?

ebay has lots of good deals...you just have to be patient though and get items at the low price you want.

russellt
02-23-2011, 03:25 PM
homeplaces and private property are your best shot for the good stuff. imo