PDA

View Full Version : Found An Underground Toy Parking Lot

MartinL
02-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I went out back of the house where my cyclone wire fence is, put the V3i into action where I'd previously found coins, and a toy car or two, and I found another 11 more toy vehicles, all in the areas of maybe 3-4sq feet. It was one right after the other, took all of about 40 minutes before I decided to take a break due to sheer work, plus the ground cover was a little challenge in digging, vines and such. I figure there's maybe many more toys back there. I also found a nickel in the same spot, and many, many tiny small bulbs...the kinds you screw in, not the plug in Christmas bulbs. I'll post the pics once I get them all cleaned, or later, depending on whether I find more. I assume that the family here must have had a passel kids back after the home was first bought back in 1970 and this was their spot. I've found several other cars in the front yard but nothing like this hunt.

One thing was for sure...finding metallic kid's toys is an easy signal. I may even give the lamps a test to see if they light up. They are all the size of a flashlight bulb. God knows what all those bulbs were used for back then. martin

SeabeeRon
02-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Found the kids stash of toys!!! :grin: Like to see some pix of some of those!! :yes:

MartinL
02-21-2011, 08:23 PM
I found other stuff too. There was a dilapidated vaporizer which asmatics use, along with other oddities, a screwdriver shaft, and something that looked like a mechanical scribe plus all the light bulbs. I tested several with an ohm meter, and they are alive. Odd looking things though,,,there is a mysterious looking BB like object in the center of the filament area. Trust me, there is a lot more goodies out there, especially the light bulbs. I could have kept finding them for a long time even with the Pro Pointer alone once I had a 2-3 hole opened up.

Question...Is it OK to wash these things in the dishwasher? Mud is embedded inside the cars and trucks like crazy. The Kenmore sho' does a great job on stubborn dishes! There's way too much work left in detailing these things. martin

mike l
02-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Looking forward to the pic's. It fun finding those old toy cars :peace:

zrickkid
02-21-2011, 10:02 PM
I found an area like that last summer. 9 cars total around the base of a large tree. Hot Wheels and Match Box for the most part. It sure was fun. I cant wait to see your pictures and this gives me a reason to show mine too. Great find. thumbsup01

giant056
02-22-2011, 02:24 AM
Great score on the toy cache, what kind were they? I like finding the tootsietoys myself thumbsup01

Cheap Thrills
02-22-2011, 02:57 AM
I wouldn't put them in a dishwasher , it would probably mess up your dish washer .I'd let the cars soak a bit til' the impacted mud is soft then take out as much dirt as I could with a toothpick or twig and then wash them with a garden hose using the required pressure at the nozzle . Nice going , it sounds like a real fun spot . thumbsup01 8)

Carver
02-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Very cool car cache for sure!!! I love finding those old toys about as much as coins!!

bountyhunter
02-22-2011, 11:19 AM
:rolleyes: Good find, even if their not worth much it is still cool finds in my eyes. Keep diggin.

MartinL
02-22-2011, 11:51 AM
What do you make of these light bulbs? Sorry for no coin to represent the size, but all would screw into a flashlight if not so cruddy, all were found in one widening hole in about 10 minutes, and I'm sure I'll find more today. BTW, they show continuity, so they aren't blown.

I am still cleaning the cars, trucks, gizmos. Pics latter. martin

MartinL
02-22-2011, 01:33 PM
These are not detailed my any means, but basically cleaned, and I added a couple from my collection from before, the blue bus for one.

What's the gear thing? it is heavier than the toys and has stenciled words on the bottom? I'll be interested to see if the gears still turn after it is thoroughly cleaned.

martin

coinnut
02-22-2011, 08:00 PM
I wonder if a store closed and the bulbs were thrown out as trash, even though they still worked. :confused: The gear thing is wierd. Can't think of anything that it resembles. On the back side it almost looks like it has a wheel that would have accepted a wire (maybe a plastic wire) around it. Could it be part of a cassette player or something like that? Interesting stuff. Love the cars. I just found some more of mine in a box. lol

MartinL
02-23-2011, 04:11 PM
I wonder if a store closed and the bulbs were thrown out as trash, even though they still worked. :confused: The gear thing is wierd. Can't think of anything that it resembles. On the back side it almost looks like it has a wheel that would have accepted a wire (maybe a plastic wire) around it. Could it be part of a cassette player or something like that? Interesting stuff. Love the cars. I just found some more of mine in a box. lol

Found bulbs again till I was tired, plus other interesting items. Here's a couple of pics, it's not all I found today though. Lots more pieces of toy skeletons. The large coin had me going...it was part of a small coin spill, along with two degraded clad pennies. A lot of work to do if I get this spot searched out. martin