PDA

View Full Version : E-Trac pinpoint/detect button

MercMan
02-21-2011, 07:30 PM
When using the E-Trac with the Sunray probe I always seem to fumble for the pinpoint/detect button when I am kneeling down digging and want to switch the probe back and forth. The detector is always slightly behind me and the screen is out of eye shot.

The other night my 2 year old was messing around with the bathroom drawers and pulled one out. I noticed the round plastic button on the back of the drawer that keeps it from slamming shut. It has an adhesive back on it and hard enough to take a little punishment. Next trip to Lowe's I looked around and found something similar but instead of a rounded button style it was a flat round disk that was clear and see through. One pack of 12 cost me a grand total of $2 so even if it only last for a month I have an entire years supply.

So I stuck it to the clear plastic dust cover directly over the pinpoint button like so:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh88/ke4dgi/DSC02435.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh88/ke4dgi/DSC02432.jpg

Now without having to move the detector or fumble around I can just reach back and feel the button even through my digging gloves. Makes it a lot easier to switch back and forth between pinpoint and detect. I can even do without turning my head. Works great if you need it. Would work with other detectors as well.

coinnut
02-21-2011, 07:34 PM
lol That's a great idea. :clapping: finding the buttons is easy with out gloves, but very difficult with them. Nice, easy fix.

MercMan
02-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Worked well on the maiden voyage. I will let you know how it holds up over time.

coinnut
02-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Worked well on the maiden voyage. I will let you know how it holds up over time.

Even if you lose one, don't they come 6 or more to a package?? One of the most cost effective and easy fixes I have read in a while. Excellent idea.

MercMan
02-22-2011, 07:15 PM
The pack I bought had 12 in it. Was $2 for the entire pack.

russellt
02-23-2011, 03:38 PM
smashing............ what a great idea