PDA

View Full Version : The Ground Is Thawed! - First Indian Of 2011

CyberSage
02-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Well, I have managed a few trips so far this year to local playgrounds to dig in the wood chips and find some clad, but the ground in the local parks has remained frozen solid. The temperatures have been in the 50's for a week now, and I thought I would head down to the city park by my house to check the ground. I had a couple of hours of sunlight left at the end of the day, so I loaded up the gear with hopes of finding an old coin at the park. I parked the car and grabbed my brass coin probe and headed for the grass. The probe pushed easily into the ground in multiple locations, The ground had thawed! :clapping:

I chose an area that I knew had a lot of trash and deep iron. I thought I would just hunt a straight line between a large cottonwood tree and cluster of trees made up of ceder and spruce. I have hunted this area well with the DFX in the past and a little with the V3. It always seems to give up new stuff each time I go, so I keep coming back.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/2011%20Finds/Isite.jpg

I worked my way down to the group of trees, my only find being a part of an old Silver bracelet buried deeply at 7 inches or so. A large piece of rusty iron rested in the hole with it. The signal broke heavily, but the pin point felt good so I dug. As I approached the stand of trees I noticed the city workers had cleared all the brush from under the boughs. I quickly got under the tree and started to swing as best I could in the tight space. It was not long and I was rewarded with my first Keeper of the year.

FirstKeeper2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNYHAlFB0RE#)

The Indian Head is actually an 1896. My eyes don't work the way they used to I guess. I picked up a deep 1944 Wheat Penny on the pass back to the Cottonwood. My tme was used up for the day so I headed back to the house very happy to have a few keepers in my pouch. Here is a photo of the keepers after a warm soapy water bath.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/2011%20Finds/Igroup.jpg

The old park has been good to me, and it is just a few blocks from my house. This gives me a chance to hunt in between the occasional weekend trips out. I am happy to be digging again. Life is good.

Jack

tanacat
02-23-2011, 11:10 AM
:clapping: Way to go on paying attention to that previous brushy area! I'll have to keep an eye out like that too. Good luck on the rest of it- or did you already find somethin' else? That's when you need a little bitty detector to swing- when you're crawling on all fours under areas like that lol

Maybe be more successful at digging up little bitty ufo's too :huh:

rofl rofl rofl

(did you see that thread?)

exsquid
02-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Nice looking coins...Looks like a real nice park, too!

WTG...

giant056
02-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Big congrats on your first Indian of 2011 Cybersage thumbsup01

Ill Digger
02-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Nice way to start the new season Jack!!
First keeper and it's 1800's ! Can't complain about that ! thumbsup01
I really like the design on the bracelet piece!
Looks like American Indian or a tribal motif. Cool!
Congrats :grin:

russellt
02-23-2011, 12:09 PM
awesome.. nice looking old coppers.. thats a great hunt

jkress
02-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Congrats on getting out for the first real hunt of the year. :clapping: It sure is exciting when the probe or digger goes smoothly into the ground. :happydance01:
Great finds for the day. Love the IH. You got into the 1800's already. :clapping: Hopefully I won't be too far behind.
Good luck next time out.

rsarge1
02-23-2011, 01:53 PM
:clapping: :clapping: way to start the new season Jack!!

coinnut
02-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Nice hits Jack on the Indian and bracelet. Sounds great to be able to stick that probe into the groung and not break your palm lol This is the best time of the year to get the deep ones :clapping:

RobW
02-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Nice finds!
This Cherokee is getting a bit jealous :envious: of all these Indians popping up out of the ground. I can't wait to put a tribe together this season!

wingmaster
02-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Great finds congrats on the IH.

zrickkid
02-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Nice coin sage. :happydance01: Work that area hard it will probably pay off sooner or later. P.S. what was the VDI on that Injun?

Carver
02-23-2011, 07:42 PM
That is a great start to the year for sure Jack!!! Sweet Indian! Hope you find more goodies there thumbsup01 thumbsup01

pulltabsteve
02-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Thats awesome Jack! I always look out for spots like that with freshly removed shrubs and ground cover. Congrats on the saves today :clapping:

CyberSage
02-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the nice pat on the back Friends. I appreciate it more than you know. The Indian came in, in the mid 60's on the VDI scale. It came in a little higher than an air test do to the 5 to 6 inch depth and nature of the program I use. I am really feeling attached to the ground with the V3 now. It took awhile to get there, but it is always a learning process. I am going to venture out this weekend to the area that produced 30 or so Silver coins over the last year. I hope the weather holds out! Thanks again.

Jack

P.S. Tana, I have not found any UFO's yet... that I care to talk about that is. lol

v3ikid
02-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Way to go. thumbsup01 Those are some great coins. Good luck with the upcoming hunts. I only hope to start getting finds like that with the V.

Epi-hunter
02-23-2011, 09:05 PM
I missed this before Jack. Your photos are incredible as usual. Very inspiring... let's hope this will be the best year for all of us yet. :)

CyberSage
02-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Thank you Angie. I do believe you are correct. This is going to be a wonderful year. With all the great members we have here on the forum, we are sure to see some fantastics finds.

odave
02-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Congratulations on Getting out to hunt and some great finds Jack !!
I enjoyed the Video ! Good looking IH Cent !
Looking forward to more of Your Finds thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Dave

milco
02-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Glad you made it out, nice IH!

Cheap Thrills
02-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Life is good !! so are the finds , pictures and video . :clapping: thumbsup01 8)

Salty Dog
02-24-2011, 06:14 AM
Nice way to kick the season in gear,Jack :beerbuddy: that indian looks like it was against another coin or something else :thinkingabout:,keep them coming,Dave

leslie(nova scotia)
02-24-2011, 06:17 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....white brother from another mother you did well to release our first nation brother from the soil. Good to see mother earth open to operations. Enjoyed the picture that moves!

coinnut
02-24-2011, 10:10 PM
With all the great members we have here on the forum, we are sure to see some fantastics finds.

It's allready started with some of the finds recently :clapping: Wait till the weather is great for everyone :shocked04: We are gonna be swamped with finds lol

Jaybird
02-25-2011, 12:24 AM
Way to go, Jack, thumbsup01 Looks like a good year indeed. Keep the good work up and maybe have a Northern Colorado hunt up your way.

CyberSage
02-27-2011, 10:29 AM
A photo of the same area just a few days later. Springtime in the Rockies.... :bangahead01:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/Isnow.jpg

I am done for awhile. :crying02:

rsarge1
02-27-2011, 10:46 AM
rofl rofl LOL so true, so true im just waiting for another good day to play LOL