PDA

View Full Version : Surely A Household Trash Site, Keep Hunting It?

MartinL
02-23-2011, 03:00 PM
This spot out in my back yard that I'm working these days is so target rich, I have to think this is maybe a trash spot on purpose. I went out for about 15 minutes and found a very large button with the pin still on the back, various parts of more toy cars(I found more than 10 yesterday), and many more minature light bulbs. I quit using the V3i, the targets were in every direction just using the Pro Pointer. Found a bunch of little odd shaped magnets, some scrap metal pieces, a penny,,,all in no more than 15 minutes, all from one hole. I took a break!

Question: Since this junk spot isn't that easily accessed with all of the vines and such, with targets really thick, would y'all continue to mine the whole thing out? If so, then it may be a lot easier to shovel dirt into a container and filter the targets out in the main yard, instead of navigating the vines. Nothing older than 1970 will likely be found, but I could be wrong. I've not found any tin cans or other general garbage items normally found in a trash dump, but this has to be a centralized location for some kind of discarding, unless there is some interesting story to be told from way back then. All in all, I've spent maybe an hour tops back there in the last 2 days, and the targets are swamping me even today, being there's so much in every direction. You can't shut the PP up ;-)

Maybe this is a no-brainer and everyone would relish digging this pile of assorted junk. How much time and effort would you put into this spot? It is kinda fun, don't get mt wrong, yet I thought the question made sense. martin

coinnut
02-23-2011, 03:09 PM
I would do it only if I was bored and had some time, for the fun of it. It does sound like it is a trash area and probably anything older is below all that stuff. I would try and use my limited time searching new sites or the old reliable ones. But if you want a lot of targets in a very short period of time, that is the place to do it. Just think if you leave it, someone in a hundred years will be wide eyed over them light bulbs..Imagine a time when people used lightbulbs for lighting :shocked04: :shocked04: lol If you have ever found an early (Edison type) light bulb, you will know what I mean lol

russellt
02-23-2011, 03:21 PM
bulldawg it martin

MartinL
02-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Maybe I should look there for a while after all. I found a small coin spill of 2 tired clad pennies along with a Mexican coin a size beyond an American quarter. Its a 1982 date, reads as a 33 VDI, and is stubborn for cleaning. I suppose it's worth some hunting time to what else jumps up. Mostly though it only produces bunches of toy parts, the bulbs, the occasional strand of wire. The large coin did get me excited! martin

Hey! I am still finding coins in this small small area. I wish my metal cyclone fence wasn't right on top of it, but as long as I can dig coins, I'll keep exploring this site. I found more nickels in this one small area so far than anywhere else in the whole yard. No dimes though, which is strange. The front yard had lots of dimes. All the coins I found was with the Pro Pointer, not the V. It is messy trashy for running the V3i, so it's all hand held until I run out of the signals. ml

mike l
02-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Hi Martin, how old is the home? The cars in your previous post look 1970's ( I had some of those when I was a kid) lol. If its an older home, I agree with Coinnut, you will have dig out the newer stuff to get to the really good stuff below. Good luck and looking forward to the silver coins :happydance01:

MartinL
02-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Hi Martin, how old is the home? The cars in your previous post look 1970's ( I had some of those when I was a kid) lol. If its an older home, I agree with Coinnut, you will have dig out the newer stuff to get to the really good stuff below. Good luck and looking forward to the silver coins :happydance01:

The home was built in 1970. I feel that what's being found now at the few inches of depth, will probably be the meat of what I will find back there. I do plan on putting a foot to a shovel in time to see if there's still targets beyond 6 though. I am just amazed that the coins have surfaced there in the mess. I am bound to squirrel-out as many of those that are left at the shallow depth before going deep. I should really collect everything I find and post. There's paper clips, and wires, and a lot of toy car parts(or electronics gear/components), I can't tell the diff.) I'll try to keep it all for one big pic, but I have already tossed some stuff.

martin

Carver
02-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Hey Martin,,,if you weren't finding coins I'd say forget it,,,but since you are,,,,it might be worth your while to clean out an 8' X 8' spot and see what you can find coin wise,,,,could be good!!!

MartinL
02-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Hey Martin,,,if you weren't finding coins I'd say forget it,,,but since you are,,,,it might be worth your while to clean out an 8' X 8' spot and see what you can find coin wise,,,,could be good!!!

Yes! I was surprised with the first coin or two, but the stash to the side, including the big Mexican peso and the nickels, along with the repeated pennies filtering out of the same basic hole, has me much busier now. It gets me outta the house, which is good ;-) martin

Is this eagle emblem interesting? It is pretty heavy.

RobW
02-25-2011, 10:09 AM
That's an odd site...

I hit a WWII training camp....ok now I'm feeling old thinking about this.....about 17 yrs ago...... at a foundation I found where the door was, a ridiculous overload, I started digging and was pulling out silverware, forks, knives, spoons, serving utinsils, all with US stamped on the handle...I ended up coming back and taking a large shovel to the area....pulled out over 100 items in a 4X4 area..it was kinda cool

MartinL
02-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Cool on the silverware find! I am still popping up pennies back there today, eleven more today and found my first dime from there. It appears that there might be more under my cyclone fence but since the majority so far has been clad pennies, I'm putting off working the fence itself. I can't be sure that the detector isn't simply reading the fence post itself, so what's under the fence may just stay under the fence. Found me another toy car though ;-) along with some very sizable iron gears buried a few feet away, maybe starter gears. I've gotten more coins from this tiny area than about any other place so far. martin

RobW
02-25-2011, 03:08 PM
I don't know your soil type, but you may want to build a large frame with a screen on it, shovel in the dirt and work/sift it through