PDA

View Full Version : Park Gives Up First Indian Head and A Couple of Relics

Lane
12-07-2009, 01:34 AM
Went out early in the morning after work the other day to a remote, wooded area of a park. This area had given up my first silver a few weeks ago. I worked the same basic area as before and came back with a handful of clad and this lonely Indian. It was sitting under the leaves just barely below the surface (Used my fingers to sweep the dirt away to expose it). Just opposite the IH, on the other side of the trail I dug the iron cobblers shoe...not sure what it was doing in the middle of a park though...

Earlier in the morning I dug the lead bullet. It looks to be .380 caliber and has what looks like a hand carved x on the tip. I don't know much about firearms or ammunition, so as such I have no idea whether this is fairly modern or old. If anyone knows of a resource out there that could help me date it please let me know.

del
12-07-2009, 03:40 AM
great looking indian Lane, not sure why the x is on the slug . :confused:

sectshun8
12-07-2009, 03:51 AM
Nice looking IH there Lane thumbsup01

z118
12-07-2009, 07:30 AM
Wow, that is one sweet Indian Head! Congrats...

Dave
12-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Nice Indian Head! Congratulations on that find.

coinnut
12-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Nice condition Indian Head. Keep at the remote section. Hopefully you will come up with a pocket spill. I've found bullets similar to yours but never with the X on them. I don't know the date, but I always assumed around the 20's or 30's.

BHNugget
12-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Nice indian,looks to be in nice shape! The cobblers shoe is an interesting find,never seen one before.The bullet may have been x'ed in an attempt to help the bullet expand.We used to do this with 22 rimfires that had solid bullets.

MNDigger
12-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Congrats on the great looking IH! The bullet looks like a semiwadcutter to me and was most likely fired out of a .38 caliber (size uncertain) revolver. Hard to judge the date but BHNugget is right about why the X is on the tip. Very similar to why they now make hollow point rounds.

Bentfork
12-07-2009, 10:02 AM
WTG Lane! thumbsup01 That is a gorgeous looking Injun. One silver and an Injun from that park...keep going!

OkieDigger
12-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Nice indian Lane! Looks like that spot of yours is a good one.