PDA

View Full Version : Cold Day silver

angellionel
12-07-2009, 10:11 PM
What a dreary day it was. Overcast and cold; not at all appealing. I headed out to detect anyway. This time I drove up to one of my old sites, 'merc city', since it's just a few minutes away. It has produced old silver over the years, though finds have been slim lately.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/TPLM_A_120709.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/TPLM_B_120709.jpg

I skipped the snow covered open field as I have worked it many times on past trips, opting instead to work one of the site's dirt paths. I managed two silver coins from there, a 1947 Roosevelt dime and a 1943 Washington quarter. My toes were begging for warmth by that time, so I packed up and called it a day.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2009/December/TPLM_silver_120709.jpg

HH!

Bentfork
12-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Sweet!

Krom
12-07-2009, 11:14 PM
It's hard enough to find ONE silver coin in a day, let alone 2 (or more). Nice, Angel! :thumbsup01:

OkieDigger
12-08-2009, 12:03 AM
I don't care if there were 5 silvers to be found, you wouldn't catch me out in that. Glad you got something though.

Dave
12-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Talk about being on a mission. Dude, it's to cold to hunt! Congrats on your silver!

del
12-08-2009, 03:41 AM
that place has been very good to you for alot of years now Angel and it is still coughing up silver coins for you. very well done man , congrats on the coins

catskillcomics
12-08-2009, 05:33 AM
Good Job Angel for being able to sneek just a couple more silvers... :thumbsup01: Yesterday I wanted to go out despite the cold, but just wasn't able to .. too much work to do.. but Im going today ..

yazoo
12-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Sorta makes the cold worth it ,Nice finds.H.H. Yazoo

bmattioli
12-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Way to brave the cold Angel and you were rewarded again.. This weekend looks cold but I just got a ski cap so I'm good.. Nice Silver!

MNDigger
12-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Way to brave the cold and snow Angel! I bet you had one of those special edition white Pro Coils swinging in that stuff! :lol: I have a feeling you are still going to eek out 450 before the season is over. :thumbsup01: Congrats on the silver!

coinnut
12-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Just can't put that machine away for the year can you?? :lol: :lol: Man do I feel for you when the ground freezes. We may have to take turns visiting you, or you may just go stir crazy :twirlingeyes: Nice that you still got out and the ground cooperated. 2 more silvers for the pile :thumbsup01:

angellionel
12-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys!

Just can't put that machine away for the year can you?? :lol: :lol: Man do I feel for you when the ground freezes. We may have to take turns visiting you, or you may just go stir crazy :twirlingeyes: Nice that you still got out and the ground cooperated. 2 more silvers for the pile :thumbsup01:

I am hopelessly addicted!:lol: I may have to pile dirt in the basement and seed it with coins to keep me when the snow abounds outside. :grin:

marchas45
12-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Better you than me Angel to Bloody cold for me. Great finds as usual you deserve them. :thumbsup01:

coinnut
12-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I may have to pile dirt in the basement and seed it with coins to keep me when the snow abounds outside. :grin:

That is so sad :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I can't believe a grown man would stoop that low ;) Del and I can still come over and hunt them cellar piles too right?? :drool: :drool:

angellionel
12-09-2009, 11:52 AM
That is so sad :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I can't believe a grown man would stoop that low ;) Del and I can still come over and hunt them cellar piles too right?? :drool: :drool:

Yeah, and we'll make a party of it. :lol:

It looks like this snow we just had will delay any detecting for some time. :bummer:

Jason in Enid
12-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Nice finds Angel. I have to admit that a little snow on the ground wouldn't stop me from detecting today. The air temps are another matter. Today's high was 23, and it's getting down to 10 or lower tonight. Brrrr, I just can't take the cold!

coinnut
12-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Nice finds Angel. I have to admit that a little snow on the ground wouldn't stop me from detecting today. The air temps are another matter. Today's high was 23, and it's getting down to 10 or lower tonight. Brrrr, I just can't take the cold!

Above freezing days are one thing, but when it gets in the low 30's or less, it's really not good for the machines. I almost lost my DFX that way. I knew it was time to quit when I saw patterns on the LCD display :lol: Only getting about 4 depth was another indication, she wasn't happy :crying02: So be careful if you want to go out detecting in the cold. It's not worth the money lost if it breaks. With that said, I think we are going out Saturday in the cold :lol: :lol: :crazy:

Epi-hunter
12-10-2009, 01:33 PM
though finds have been slim lately
You're joking, right? :rofl: :bangshead01:

I'm sorry, I just had to try out some of these new smileys. I know I will be using some of them quite often :poke: :ticked: :lol:

coinnut, is the cold really harmful to the machines? I know the display used to do that on my ACE250, but I haven't had my other detectors out in the cold as much. It's terrible here today... 21 degrees, snowing, and the winds are howling. I thought I lived in the south? :confused:

SeabeeRon
12-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Kudos to all you hardy cold weather hunters back there!!! :yes: To me it just sounds... :crazy: :tongue:
Haven't been able to get in here for awhile, so was wondering what your count is up to Angel??

angellionel
12-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Kudos to all you hardy cold weather hunters back there!!! :yes: To me it just sounds... :crazy: :tongue:
Haven't been able to get in here for awhile, so was wondering what your count is up to Angel??

It stands at 438. I was hoping to get the opportunity to add to it before year end, but I'm not so sure now. Too much snow. :bangahead02:

bigjohn070
12-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Not much snow hear but the ground is froze up.
Might warm up this weekend for a quickie.
Nice silver

HH
BIG JOHN

coinnut
12-10-2009, 08:23 PM
coinnut, is the cold really harmful to the machines? I know the display used to do that on my ACE250, but I haven't had my other detectors out in the cold as much. It's terrible here today... 21 degrees, snowing, and the winds are howling. I thought I lived in the south? :confused:

Hey Angie, The cold is definitely not good for the machine. Although my DFX recovered :lol: it did worry me for a while. These machines are really not designed to be in 20 degree weather. They may tolerate it from time to time, but I bet it has an overall effect on the longevity. I'm sure somewhere the manufacturer states what the minimum operational temperature is. Remember when Del and I go out, it could be 8 hours in the freezing cold. :crazy: So, short term exposure may not be so bad. It's not worth losing the investment.

del
12-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey Angie, The cold is definitely not good for the machine. Although my DFX recovered lol it did worry me for a while. These machines are really not designed to be in 20 degree weather. They may tolerate it from time to time, but I bet it has an overall effect on the longevity. I'm sure somewhere the manufacturer states what the minimum operational temperature is. Remember when Del and I go out, it could be 8 hours in the freezing cold. :crazy: So, short term exposure may not be so bad. It's not worth losing the investment.

Angie i'm actually looking forward the cold hunts because when his machine craps out like it did , the coppers are at my mercy and the pathetic sad puppy dog look he gets is priceless :tongue:(the trick is to bring a can of compressed air with ya and when George ain't looking spray the circuts really good ) ya it must be the cold affecting the machine George, aww thats to bad man :lol: :rofl:

there are some machine covers that do help in the cold somewhat , i just ordered one from Thesaurus accessories they make a military grade cover that is actually insulated and i'm looking to see how much of a difference it will make .

Dan

coinnut
12-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Angie i'm actually looking forward the cold hunts because when his machine craps out like it did , the coppers are at my mercy and the pathetic sad puppy dog look he gets is priceless :tongue:(the trick is to bring a can of compressed air with ya and when George ain't looking spray the circuts really good ) ya it must be the cold affecting the machine George, aww thats to bad man :lol: :rofl:

Dan

You're such a juvenile :lol: :poke:

Epi-hunter
12-10-2009, 09:06 PM
:lol: :lol: :shocked04: How did I get in the middle of this? :shocked04:

coinnut
12-10-2009, 09:40 PM
:lol: :lol: :shocked04: How did I get in the middle of this? :shocked04:

I don't know :confused: I think I can't detect fever is starting to get to us :bangshead01: I don't know if I can go all winter without swinging a machine. I may have to do that cellar trick myself :rolleyes:

flueinc
12-11-2009, 09:53 PM
My explorer 11 has been in my tuuck year round for over 2 years so if i get a chance to hunt i con go and it has allways worked fine I have used it at 10 below and had to use a pick to dig the frozen ground .Can't go without detecting at least once a week even in winter.