PDA

View Full Version : First Silver Coin Of The Year - Let The Fun Begin

CyberSage
02-28-2011, 08:11 PM
It was Sunday afternoon the temperatures were on the rise. I found myself anxious, and distracted by the melting snow. I finally caved in to my carnal metal detecting instincts. I geared up and headed back to the local park despite the snow and mud. I found a sunny corner of the park and hit the power button on my V3. The sound of the threshold was nothing short of a lullaby to my ears. As I have stated before, I have hunted this park located close to my house hundreds and hundreds of times, and it has always been good to me. So I come back time and time again with the hope of an old coin or two for my keeper pouch. Today would be no different. A short while into my hunt I cut a plug that revealed the end result that we all seek as American Detectorist...

FirstSilver2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l78fiEqrHNg#)

The glint of silver in the moist dirt made my heart race. I will never get used to the thrill of digging a Mercury Dime.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/FDime.jpg

A view of the dig site...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/FDSite.jpg

The old park, despite being heavily hunted never lets me down. The spirits of the folks that sought relaxation here a hundred years ago, still hang heavy in the air. More importantly, having such a beautiful locale to let my mind relax and drift for a few hours is worth it's weight in... Silver ;)

Keep Swing'in
Jack

zrickkid
02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Nice job jack,, my sentiments exactly. :angelic:

Cheap Thrills
02-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Nice finds , video , pictures and sentiment . :clapping: thumbsup01 8)

DaleGM
03-01-2011, 12:42 AM
enjoyed the video Jack, :popcorn: looking at the old tree and houses that area looks to have some good history to it, trees are just taller now and the houses a few more coats of paint, congrats on the silver :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Poker Jim
03-01-2011, 01:14 AM
The first of many I am sure. Great find, nothing like silver in the dirt.

Poker Jim

Coinstar
03-01-2011, 02:29 AM
Nice. Still no silver for me. This gives me hope :twirlingeyes:

wingmaster
03-01-2011, 06:01 AM
Nice merc congrats.

Carver
03-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Great looking Merc!!! Nice way to start the year!!

Schrecky
03-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Way to go. There is still way to much snow here to go out, so it is nice to see your video. Are you still using the same program, any changes?

yazoo
03-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Great way to get going Jack. <: Merc's are always welcome. H.H. Yazoo

rsarge1
03-01-2011, 07:21 PM
very nice Jack this year seems to be starting out with a bang :beerbuddy:

Ill Digger
03-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Oh yeah!! The sweet sight of silver !! :happydance01:
And it's a beautiful Mercury dime! One of my favorites thumbsup01
Nice find Jack!
Congrats :grin:

Evan/tn
03-01-2011, 09:25 PM
It's great to make your favorite spot give up some silver time and again :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Way to go on the Merc thumbsup01

russellt
03-01-2011, 09:34 PM
great looking merc jack... that baby was about 6 inches deep or so ..nice

jkress
03-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Awesome pics, story and video Jack!! <: I always look forward to reading your posts.

That is a beautiful Merc. Towards the end of each season we tend to not appreciate them as much as seeing one for the first time of the new year.
It's kind of funny how the threshold hum tends to instantly reduce the stress of life... something only a metal detectorist can understand.

I noticed in your video a tree much bigger than the rest. (Middle of the screen at 21 seconds in) Any idea of the age? I really want to become better educated in Dendrology. :yes: It is such a great way to date a site or area and something I haven't taken the time to research...yet. :)

Congrats. :clapping:

odave
03-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Way to Start the Year Jack !! Nice Merc !!
Man that Park sure looks nice very peaceful looking thumbsup01
Good Video !! I enjoyed it !!
Thanks for sharing and all the best on the next hunt.

giant056
03-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Great video and nice score on the ole merc Jack thumbsup01 there sure were some beautiful coins minted in the U.S. once upon a time.

Beefcake
03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Atta boy Jack!!! You've got some nice looking parks to hunt out there... Wish for you that the state was older and there'd be more of the older coins for you though..

CyberSage
03-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks all! It definitely feels good to get that first Silver out of the way. The weather is really warming up and I am looking forward to this weekend.

Are you still using the same program, any changes?

Yes, it is pretty much the same program as posted with the exception of the Lock Track setting. I have it on most of the time now. It really does quiet things down with the slower coil movement.

I noticed in your video a tree much bigger than the rest. (Middle of the screen at 21 seconds in) Any idea of the age? I really want to become better educated in Dendrology. :yes: It is such a great way to date a site or area and something I haven't taken the time to research...yet. :)

What you saw was an old growth Cottonwood tree. That tree probably preexisted the park. Most of the trees were planted in 1912 and later in the park. There is a few of these older trees around and they are beautiful.

You've got some nice looking parks to hunt out there... Wish for you that the state was older and there'd be more of the older coins for you though..

You and me both Brother! lol If you can get into the 1800's here in Colorado a few times a year your doing well. I have still managed some nice old coins including a two cent piece, seated liberty dime, and even a nice large copper. This is the exception and not the rule however.

Epi-hunter
03-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Congrats Jack on the first silver of the year :happydance01: I'm still waiting for mine :-\ Of course it would help if I could get out. :dontknow: That place looks very peaceful. :yes:

JTGOLD
03-03-2011, 10:30 AM
love finding thoes silver merc's ,GG.