PDA

View Full Version : prepared

fastfwd
03-02-2011, 03:03 PM
The way things are going in this world i would just like to ask that all of you be prepared. I mean what would you do if say the power grid went down ? Got some way to get water? got some canned goods and some way to cook them ? better to be prepared and never have to use it than be caught with nothing eh ?

Salty Dog
03-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Yep! been getting ready for over a year now,Lots of bullets,lots of food,a couple of bug out bags packed and ready to go! I give a whole new meaning to being a boy scout thumbsup01

exsquid
03-02-2011, 04:49 PM
I am with you 100%...

We have the bases covered out in our little corner of the world...

Have indoor and outdoor wood stove...Hand pump for water and generator capabilities when/if gas is available... for when you just gotta have some electric.

It wouldn't be pretty, I am sure, but I am, and have raised my kids to be survivors... But I hope and pray it will be good training wasted.... :yes: (as in not needed)

Hate to have to play the nomadic role but.... guess you will do what you have to do... :grin:

cnr_dogs
03-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Always prepared stocked enough for a war

odave
03-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Yep !!

fastfwd
03-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Good to know folks ! I have ammo,dried goods and i have gone the camping route for now, like dual fuel stoves and heaters,propane stoves and heaters,hand pump for well good sleeping bags,and extra warm coats and clothes. Hope i never have to use any thing ! Here is a great place for tips,and info. Mods if this a rule breaker feel free to remove it :)

http://www.shtfm.com/

russellt
03-03-2011, 09:48 PM
that is a definate possibililty.. bullets, beans and band aids/////////// GOT IT... water purification.the whole deal.. my friends think im nuts. that may be true but im a prepared nut.... and thats a fact. :(

pulltabsteve
03-03-2011, 09:55 PM
A Country Boy Can Survive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4s0nzsU1Wg#)

v3ikid
03-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Making it on very little.....Grew up on it. If you are determined you will get by just fine. Most people these days talk about what they can't do without, The thing to concern themselves with is what they CAN do without.

BOWSER
03-03-2011, 10:27 PM
i am makin some adjustments in my lifestyle and i am very concerened about my future. good luck to all in the coming year.

odave
03-03-2011, 10:36 PM
A Country Boy Can Survive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4s0nzsU1Wg#)

Amen to that one Steve thumbsup01..Thank God I'm a Country Boy :grin:

P Side
03-04-2011, 08:29 AM
that is a definate possibililty.. bullets, beans and band aids/////////// GOT IT... water purification.the whole deal.. my friends think im nuts. that may be true but im a prepared nut.... and thats a fact. :(

It would be nuts not to prepare. Even the Government says you should prepare. All you have to do is look at the Katrina aftermath and Rodney King riots, and you can see why. A natural disaster, cival unrest, or bad econinomic times the Government doesn't have the resources to everyone. People who don't prepare a kit or a plan are the ones who will be in trouble. Don't forget your pets either.

http://www.ready.gov/america/index.html

M-Taliesin
03-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Howdy Folks!
Personally, I ain't terribly worried about the future. I choose to believe that things will turn out alright in the end.
There may be rough patches, but I am an optimist. That being said, we do have plenty of firepower in the house.

If I had a dollar for every disaster or end of the world prediction I've heard in 60 years, I could retire right now!
Back when everybody was predicting the upheaval of Y2K, I had some friends who stocked up on all manner of survival supplies. By June they were trying to unload them all.

Most of the things I worry about tend to not happen. And if they do, I wasn't figuring to live forever anyhow.

But if things got that bad, I'd be headed into the high country to live off the land. Anybody who ever spent time in backcountry knows how to survive on what nature provides. It is all there if worse comes to worst.

Besides, we ain't got any storage to speak of in a mobile home anyhow. All I'd really need is a camp stove, a few firearms, plenty of ammo and clothing to cover any weather conditions.

Like I said though, I believe things will turn out alright. All things are as they should be at any given time.

Fretting about things don't help much, so I don't bother worrying about things beyond my ability to control.
Now all the talk is about December 21st, 2012! I think on December 22nd, 2012, I'll be laughing about all the fuss just like I did after Y2K, when I failed to see all those planes falling from the sky, nuclear reactors melting down, computer systems crashing world-wide, rioting in the streets, gunfights to defend homesteads, and all the other dire predictions that never materialized.

And if I should ultimately be proven wrong, I know how to live on what nature provides.
A good weapon, a tank of gas, some camp gear, and I'm set.

That's my opinion, and I haven't yet needed any of that so far, despite all the times I was told everything was ready to hit the fan!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Lowjiber
03-04-2011, 11:17 AM
...I'll be laughing about all the fuss just like I did after Y2K, when I failed to see all those planes falling from the sky, nuclear reactors melting down, computer systems crashing world-wide, rioting in the streets, gunfights to defend homesteads, and all the other dire predictions that never materialized.

I did have a meltdown at Y2K...

I'm a windsurfer (hence the name Lowjiber) and used to wear a tide-watch. For those who might not be concerned with such things, a tide-watch displays a graph (and other info) about the rising/falling of the tides at a particular lat/long on any given day. They're pretty important when you're not overly anxious to hit a submerged sand bar at 30+ MPH. (I put a picture of one below.)

Anyhoooo...on Jan 1, 2000, my watch simply quit working. The display was a total blank and I immediately changed the battery without success. Since the particular watch I wore was pretty expensive, I wrote the company. Turns out that the firmware installed in the watch was inadvertently set up to only cover the 1990's. Duh!

Long story, short (too late, I know)...The company sent me a new watch (free) that was even better than my old version.

P Side
03-04-2011, 01:51 PM
A good weapon, a tank of gas, some camp gear, and I'm set.

Just one question. With all the civil unrest in the Middle East, how much longer do you think you will be able to afford gasoline? You might want to head to the high country now, or you might just have to walk there later. Than what will you do in the winter? You won't be camping in the high country. The snow will be over your head, and the big game will have migrated to lower elevations.

Gas prices here have gone up .44 cents in the last month, and almost a dollar in the last year. You should worry, our Government doesn't. If you have to take care of yourself, no one will do it for you.

:popcorn:

Toadman
03-04-2011, 05:12 PM
What happens, happens.. not in my control.. but i would think nothing bad will happen in my lifetime.. i'm 50 now.The next generation.. not so sure......

MartinL
03-04-2011, 05:28 PM
There has to be some level of common sense on both viewpoints. The prepared people are who lean with the most, but that only means that I have some dry rice or dried beans, a few jugs of water, but I haven't wired in the gas generator to the house quite yet.

Extra ammo is always a must though, cuz you can easily be run-in on by bad elements when they see your lights are still on. You can't carry a parachute with you everywhere. martin

CyberSage
03-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Just one question. With all the civil unrest in the Middle East, how much longer do you think you will be able to afford gasoline? :popcorn:

Your metal detector runs on gasoline? lol How did they get along before gasoline? ;)

fastfwd
03-05-2011, 10:54 PM
There has to be some level of common sense on both viewpoints. The prepared people are who lean with the most, but that only means that I have some dry rice or dried beans, a few jugs of water, but I haven't wired in the gas generator to the house quite yet.

Extra ammo is always a must though, cuz you can easily be run-in on by bad elements when they see your lights are still on. You can't carry a parachute with you everywhere. martin

Well sure ! I dont have a ton of goods,just some bottled water,a hand pump for well, canned stuff,and plenty of ammo. And i have dual fuel Colman stoves lanterns and heaters plus a few propane ones

BOWSER
03-05-2011, 11:09 PM
I grew up on the basics,If it happens it's gonna be a big shock to some of these 30-50 year olds.They are gonna have to carry the load for younger ones,quite frankly there not prepared.The people runnin this country haven't a clue and don't care they will always get by. JMHOP.

M-Taliesin
03-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Howdy Folks!
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
I am a person of faith, and I do not fear tomorrow.
For I have not been given a spirit of fear.

Consider, I had plenty of people telling me my death was imminent if that blood clot moved.
That didn't happen.
I play the odds. I have done that with metal detecting. I go where the odds are stacked in my
favor for finding something worthwhile. I don't hunt where people seldom go, but scour locations
that are frequently populated. The more people, the more often, the more likely that I'll find
stuff they parted with.

Playing the odds, it is far more likely (on an almost quantum level) that none of us will likely
need the precautions that some suggest. We are much more likely to be involved in an auto
accident than civil unrest. We are much more likely to suffer devastating physical issues than
face black helicopters and U.N. Covert Ops squads. The odds are much greater that we might
confront cancer, coronary artery disease, stroke or any of a hundred other catastrophic diseases
well before a pandemic of bird flu.

The business of fear is very big business. There is a ton of money being made on the fear factor.
Coast to Coast AM makes their living selling fear. Major Ed Dames is a frequent guest who is also
known as Dr. Doom, and he constantly makes dire predictions of imminent destruction (which never
seem to happen) and nobody seems to notice when those predictions fail to materialize. Like the
comet Hale-Bopp, for example, that he claimed was carrying a secondary body right behind it.
He claimed that secondary body was loaded with some sort of spheres that would be dispersed
all over the earth to destroy every green growing thing. Anybody still using a lawn mower out there?

Much more concerning are the actual issues looming on the horizon. Colony collapse of honey bees
is highly concerning. No bees, no pollination. No pollination, no crops. That's an issue that needs to
be explored and addressed. But among theories on what is causing colonly collapse is cellular
telephone technology. Anybody willing to give up their cellphone as a precaution?

Speaking of bees, wreckless scientists have blessed us with Africanized bees that have migrated
from South American to our own southern states. While the fear merchants produced lurid movies
of swarms of killer bees taking out entire towns, they're here and have killed a few folks, but no
clouds of bees taking out entire towns so far.

There is a difference between being reasonably prepared for likely trouble, and being unduly
fearful. Being prepared to cope with an intruder in your home is reasonable enough, considering
that home invasion does happen fairly frequently. Being prepared to fight off an invading army is
likely overkill. But given that scenario, ala Red Dawn, your P-229 won't likely have much effect on
an Abrams tank or Bradly Fighting Vehicle. If it is our government to fear, then we got a real problem
because they have exotic weaponry that is still totally outside the thinking of the average American.
So how does one prepare for that?

But I don't fear for the future. I think it will be a wonderful thing to witness as it unfolds.
It is my optimism that chooses to believe the best about tomorrow. New advances in science
and technology are coming down the pike every single day. Just consider your laptop computer,
which only 20 years ago, would have required entire rooms full of electronic gizmos to accomplish
what we not take for granted. The fact that we are able to have this conversation on the internet
is also remarkable, considering the state of communications only 20 years ago.

When I found my first old coin, a Barber dime dated 1895 minted in New Orleans, I started to
think about the person who might have dropped it. He may have been a veteran of the Civil
War. The Custer fight was still fresh in peoples minds, just as 911 is fresh in ours today.
There were no highways spanning this nation. No computers, no televisions, no automobiles,
little electricity, most plumbing was outside the house, no movie theatres, no cellular phones,
no electric grid, no passenger jets crossing the nation in a matter of a few hours, no world wars,
no nuclear threat, and the list goes on and on.

Even in the span of my own lifetime, I have been witness to an almost miraculous transformation.
I was able to watch, on television from space, men walking on the moon! I was blessed to see
the telephone transform from a bulky rotary phone on a permanent cord attached to the wall
to the gizmo I carry in my pocket allowing me to communicate from anywhere, anytime and
also transmit text messages and enjoy the internet. Quantum stuff. Everywhere I look, I see
advancements that would have stunned my grandparents. I can now carry movies around in
my pocket. I have a device that will hold hundreds upon hundreds of best selling books that
I can take with me anywhere I go and download new books at my whim, from anywhere in
the world. In my hands, I have access to more books than any of our local libraries.
I remember, as a small boy, the wonder of television. Our first set was a thing that stood about
4 feet high, several feet wide and deep, and held a screen about the size of a dinner plate. Of
course it was black and white. Now I have a 55 inch screen that is fed signals from space in
high definition.

The whole point is I see a bright and noble future. Perhaps I am somewhat Pollyanna about
tomorrow, but I believe it will be an amazing place to live and work.

But then again, I have this whole faith thing going on.
And I haven't been given the spirit of fear.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

RichK
03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Nicely put Mel :clapping:

CyberSage
03-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Outstanding post Mel! Thank you.

Jack

Evan/tn
03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Nothing wrong with being prepared....but i do know some people who have gone overboard with the stock piling of stuff :omg: