PDA

View Full Version : Old lawns/new lawns

steve in so az
03-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Sometimes when in an old house site the lawn is built upon with newer soil. What I have found is that if you look for the lower parts of the lawn the older coins can be found.

Examples : The lawn goes along flat across the yard. But when it comes to a typical hedge or any bushes it drops off, leaving the older soil in place. And even way under the bushes/hedges .
Also, if the lawn drops off down a small slope to the sidewalk then older soil can be found on the drop off as the newer soil runs off or they didn't put any on when they re-did the yard.

Sometimes bushes, trees, etc have been removed and leave a slight depression. These places can produce also.

And do you do the side of the house? Last week I dug a silver dime way back from the yard along the fence. I did the whole area and dug a few wheats and current coins also. People frequently neglect the sides when adding to the lawn so it may leave the older dirt for you.

And do you go right up to the house as closely as possible? One time I detected a yard and was finding nothing at all. So someone did it already. But along the front wall real close I got a standing Liberty quarter. That sure made my day !
So eyeball those lawns and see where they are not level - there has to be a reason. Steve in so az

russellt
03-04-2011, 03:59 PM
thats a good tip.. because its true

CyberSage
03-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Hello Steve!
Good to see you buddy. Great tips as usual. Thank you for sharing your experience here on the forum. It is really nice to get input from a seasoned Pro. Looking forward to your post. These subtleties in the hunting environment often go unnoticed, and can often be the key to great finds. Thanks again.

Jack

zrickkid
03-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Nice tips, I will keep those in mind. :)

steve in so az
03-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Thanks Jack - I have learned some things from your posts over the years also, steve

Evan/tn
03-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Yep looking for the low spots are great indications of OG or original ground thumbsup01

v3ikid
03-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Great tip. I'll have to keep that in mind.